JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Temple of Lothan
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Temple of Lothan
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:35 pm  
    Temple of Lothan

What do we know about the Temple of Lothan near Rel Deven? It was the resting place for the Orb of Sol for several centuries, and it was the birthplace of the death knights. Lothan was a high priest, but to whom? Sol (the Oeridian name for Pelor)? When was he active? During the migrations? Was the Rel Deven location a temple he constructed, or was it named posthumously? My players are in Rel Deven, and I need to come up with some answers in a hurry!
    GreySage

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:55 am  

I would assume the Orb of Sol was kept in a temple of Sol. The temple was probably built on Lothan's tomb (or otherwise house some relic of Lothan's mortal body), which suggests he was a martyr. If he was a martyr, it was probably by the Suel or the Flan during the Migration period, before the period of Aerdi dominance would have made things safer for an Oeridian priest. Alternatively, he could have been martyred by followers of another Oeridian god, like Pholtus, if you want that kind of animosity toward Pholtan clerics in the background.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:21 am  

Ooh, I like that idea about the Temple housing Lothan's remains. Adventure hook! So, Lothan was an Oeridian high priest of Sol (Pelor) during the Migrations. He was martyred at some point before the founding of Aerdy — perhaps by Ur-Flan sorcerers — and a temple to Sol (Pelor) was constructed in his name near Rel Deven. The Orb of Sol was removed from the temple by Sir Benedor c. 213 CY, but Lothan's remains are still interred deep below the temple ruins. I can have fun with that.... Evil Grin
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 pm  

According to what Gary Holian (the writer of the article you refer to) told me a few years ago in Greychat, Lothan was a migration-era Oeridian mage-priest of Sol (the Oeridian name for Pelor), and built the temple. Of course, it's likely that it wasn't called the "Temple of Lothan" during Lothan's lifetime (my speculation, not Gary's).
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 am  

Robbastard wrote:
    According to what Gary Holian (the writer of the article you refer to) told me a few years ago in Greychat, Lothan was a migration-era Oeridian mage-priest of Sol (the Oeridian name for Pelor), and built the temple. Of course, it's likely that it wasn't called the "Temple of Lothan" during Lothan's lifetime (my speculation, not Gary's).

OK, so slightly modifying my last post, Lothan was an Oeridian high priest of Sol (Pelor) during the Migrations. He built the temple to Sol (Pelor) near Rel Deven that now bears his name. Lothan was martyred at some point thereafter — perhaps by Ur-Flan sorcerers — and his body was interred deep below the temple, where it remains (?) today.
    GreySage

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:43 pm  

That sounds like a good compromise. I suggested making him a martyr because I had read recently about early churches that were named for saints because they'd been built over their tombs (St. Peter's Basilica, for example). The number of churches and temples named after the people who built them seems much smaller. There's the Temple of Solomon, and I can't think of any others at the moment.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: