Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Knights of the Watch Question???
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Knights of the Watch Question???
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:20 pm  
    Knights of the Watch Question???

The Knights of the Watch are devotees to the teachings of the philosopher Azmarender, who laid down the code of duty and belief known as "The Twelve and Seven Precepts".

Quoted from the LGG p. 160:

"The Twelve Precepts govern how a knight of the order is to carry out his daily activities, with an eye towards the traditions of battle."

"The Seven Precepts guide 'life beyond the self,' giving meaning to the world beyond the field of battle."

What, specifically, are each of the these precepts?

As I have been informed that the idea for this system of philosophy was introduced by Erik Mona, hopefully he will deign to further enlighten us on this mysterious subject. Happy

Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:48 am  

Well the LG website has two articles on the KotW;

Part 01: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20050517a

Part 02: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20050712a

The second details the Precepts, which I have copied below;

Detailed below are the Twelve Precepts of the Knights of the Watch and Dispatch. The two highest precepts are the Grand Precept and the Precept of Judgment. The other ten precepts define the behavior of a Knight, but all ten are shaped by how the two highest precepts define such behavior. Only the Knights themselves know the true wording of the Twelve, but most scholars of knightly orders agree that they are:

The Highest Precepts

The Grand Precept: A Knight is known by his actions and will lay down his life rather than violate a Precept.

The Precept of Judgment: The Precepts are of mortal hand; a Knight remains true to the spirit of the Precepts and never contrives to find excuses for his actions.

The Precepts of Duty

The Precept of Duty to One’s Order: A Knight remains true to the rules of his Order and the commands of his Order’s leaders.

The Precept of Duty to One’s God: A Knight must remain true to the teachings of his God and those who represent his God on Oerth.

The Precepts of Courage

The Precept of Bravery: A Knight may never flee battle unless failure to do so would place his charges in mortal harm. A Knight shall not allow another to take his place before danger nor dishonor his companions by failing to allow them their rightful share of glory.

The Precept of Chivalry: A Knight must never doubt his prowess or his worth nor give the appearance of such. A Knight mustn’t take unfair advantage of an opponent, striving to show the righteousness of his cause by the fairness by which he fights.

The Precepts of Demeanor

The Precept of Deference: A Knight must pay appropriate honor to those above him and see to it that those below him witness such actions.

The Precept of Mannerliness: A Knight’s manner, behavior, and etiquette must be beyond reproach.

The Precepts of Honor

The Precept of Oath-Taking: A Knight must never violate an oath he has sworn nor swear an oath he cannot keep.

The Precept of Retribution: Knights who have broken an oath must be brought to justice.

The Precepts of Charity

The Precept of Service: The poor, oppressed, widowed, orphaned, and those seeking justice are all worthy of a Knight’s service.

The Precept of Property: A Knight owns nothing; he merely holds items in trust to fulfill the purpose he serves for the Order. A Knight must be generous and never seek the accumulation of wealth for its own sake.

Last edited by Yabusama on Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:30 am; edited 3 times in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:26 am  

Thanks for the links Yabusama!

Very "classical knight/Templaresque". A good representation of what a knight should be, though while one of the precepts is that a knight should never run from battle, that happens occasionally enough due to various circumstances.

Well, that covers "The Twelve Precepts".

Just need to know what "The Seven Precepts" are now.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:48 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Thanks for the links Yabusama!

Very "classical knight/Templaresque". A good representation of what a knight should be, though while one of the precepts is that a knight should never run from battle, that happens occasionally enough due to various circumstances.

Well, that covers "The Twelve Precepts".

I think the Dispatcher Watcher scism happened for the reason about the not running from battle. The Dispatcher favor guerilla tactics over full frontal assualt.

The Seven are known to the high ranking Knights.

Mike
    Master Greytalker

Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:16 pm  

Let us not overstate the "schism" Wink

KoW
    Don't like retreat and prefer open frontal assaults
    Regard the Baklunish as the main enemy and threat to the order

KoD
    Since the "Giant Troubles" have adopted guerilla tactics
    Regard the Giant Invasion as the main enemy and threat to the order

But remember the KoD is still a "new order" within the KoW, it is all under the same organisation and while there are differences causing some tension, the two groups still work together for the same overall goals.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:33 pm  
    Protestants

Let us not overstate the "schism" for a real world example, lets look at the Christian Church...

Protestants
    Don't like leaders and prefer open frontal assaults
    Regard everyone as the main enemy and threat to the order

Papists
    Since the "reformation" have adopted guerilla tactics
    Regard the Saracens as the main enemy and threat to the order

But remember the Protestants are still a "new order" within the KoW, it is all under the same organisation and while there are differences causing some tension, the two groups still work together for the same overall goals.

Happy Sorry Crag.. I just couldnt help myself. This schism is just in the early years, and I dont think the players on the ground want to focus on it, but these types of differences tend to grow, particularly when both sides think they are right. I think it is a major break that no one has recognized yet... or they dont want to recognize yet. They are in serious denile.
    GreySage

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:24 pm  

Cebrion wrote:

I think they're something like:

1. I hate the Baklunish.
    2. The Baklunish are so stupid.
    3. Godsdamn those Baklunish.
    4. Why don't those Baklunish just go back where they came from?
    5. I don't like the way those Baklunish are looking at our women.
    6. How many Baklunish does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    7. Figure out snappy answer to Precept #5.
    8. Baklunish food gives me gas.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:08 pm  

Cebrion picks up his disposable, untraceable cell phone and calls his "cleaner" friend, hoping that such action is not required other than just this once.

Shocked

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:10 am  

rasgon wrote:

1. I hate the Baklunish.
    2. The Baklunish are so stupid.
    3. Godsdamn those Baklunish.
    4. Why don't those Baklunish just go back where they came from?
    5. I don't like the way those Baklunish are looking at our women.
    6. How many Baklunish does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    7. Figure out snappy answer to Precept #5.
    8. Baklunish food gives me gas.

Precepts, BAH!

Paynim General: We have won again. That is good! But what is best in life?
    Paynim Warrior: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcon on your wrist, wind in your hair!
    Paynim General: Wrong! Tang, what is best in life?
    Tang: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Paynim General: That is good.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: