JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Teeth of Dahlver Nar
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Teeth of Dahlver Nar
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:33 am  
    Teeth of Dahlver Nar

Anyone get teh chance to see this? Very interesting...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060302a

about a third of the way down you will see the Teeth...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:16 pm  

Hey MichaelSandar,

Thanks for the info. It was (and still is) very timely.

I wonder if this stuff should be considered Greyhawk-canon. Since no other TSR/WotC product (that I know of) has detailed the teeth before, I guess it will have to be.

Thanks again.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:31 pm  

These were in the 2nd ed. Book of Artifacts, though not having it in front of me I can't say how well it matches up... beyond that, no, I don't remember seeing them in any other sourcebook. It still baffles me why WotC still prints Greyhawk "items" (ie Teeth of Dahlver Nar, basic deities) but won't so much as touch the setting itself. Especially with the growing popularity of Living Greyhawk.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:39 pm  

I use the Teeth as detailed in the 1e DMG in my greyahwk games (ie they are literaly the teeth of Dahlver Nar, a relic of him as saint--the way that medieval christianbs would carry around the preserved fingers of saints etc.) the 2e (from the book of artifacts) teeth went from being human teeth to the teeth of a great red dragon... I tossed them out imdeiatly and kept to the originals, these 3e teeth are even stranger beiong a collection of teeth of all diferent sizs and shapes and tied to various powerful entites (using the pact magic from the new book)... and to me are not nearly as "cool" as the orginals.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:17 pm  

I agree completely with cwslyclgh.

I haven't ever used The Teeth in a campaign but if I ever did I would definitely stick to the 'teeth from a saint' line that is given in 1st edition DMG. I really wish authors would leave stuff alone from previous editions, I understand wanting your work to have a grander basis than "Look at this neat artifact I made for 3.5 edition D&D!" but if you can't be original (or at least give some deference to the original material) then leave well enough alone. It's even worse when authors transplant something from one setting to the other. (FR's 'Vault of the Drow')

This also struck me when reading through the converted White Plume Mountain. The dumbing down of blackrazor et al. was blatant corporate kowtowing in it's most despicable form. The fact that this almost always occurs with Greyhawk makes me even more upset. I had almost no desire to pick up Weapons of Legacy but if I had that sure would have killed it for me.
    CF Admin

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 pm  

Because it's not been mentioned in this thread, and I just read it yesterday, I suggest folks read Rasgon's Dahlver-nar, at http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=765.

A great (and apparently timely) new post!

Edit: See also http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1779&sid=715a2c9a0bae6b2d9b022b7fd4b017eb (a thread started by Skech on Rasgon's article and a related product).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: