JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Newb
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Newb
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:49 pm  
    Greyhawk Newb

I'm a greyhawk newbie that would like to learn more about the setting from what people can tell me about it.
    Besides what is talked about in the 3.5phb,dmg and MM.

Thanks alot
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:41 am  

actually i apologise for making this post,

i probably should have read the Oerth Journal and other such things before i started to annoy people.
    please accept my appologies.
    CF Admin

Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:58 am  
    No Apologies

No apologies necessay, manachild. We love talking about Greyhawk here, so don't worry.

Most of us promote the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer for general knowledge and history up tp CY 590 and into 3rd Ed. days.

But, there is a wealth of material from former years that is still great stuff (unless you have a particular bent, i.e., Gygax, Sargent, etc.). So, to get a good answer, ask a more specific question. What do you want to know about? The Scarlet Brotherhood? The Greyhawk Wars? Prince Thrommel?

Happy Greyhawking.[/i][/url]

Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:03 pm  

i would like to know about the temple of elemental evil what it is, why its there etc.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:27 pm  

Hi Manachild and welcome to the board. Semi-newbie and occasional poster here too.

Let me say first that Atari and Troika games came together last year and created a very good RPG game based on 3.5 and Temple of Elemental Evil. As someone who played the orginal module when it came out (and its parent module Village of Hommlet before that), I was in love with the whole game, and I've just started it for the fourth time! If you can get that game, do so. The base version has numerous bugs due to being rushed out too early, but www.greyhawkgame.com provides a patch file for most of them, and the Circle of Eight at www.co8.com provides many more that were created by freaks like me.

But as to the Temple itself, it has a long history that can be found in many places. The best place for history is in the 1ed module itself. Gygax gives its history and the story of the players that adventured there.

Simply put, the Temple was created by the demoness Zugtmoy and the demi-god Iuz as a power base for evil to strike out at the central Flanaess. The denizens of the area, particularly out of Veluna and Verbobonc, assembled a kick-**** army that destroyed the Hordes of Elemental Evil at the Battle of Emridy Meadows (569 CY)and proceeded to the Temple itself, which was sealed (allegedly) by members of the Circle of Eight (or in Gygax's personal campaign where this actually happened...the Citadel of Eight).

That's a good place for a start...ask any other specific questions, and I'm sure I or someone else can answer them! Hope this helps!
    CF Admin

Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:44 am  
    Why it's There

Hey, all.

Great remarks, Semaj. I will only add to your great answer by suggesting "why it is there."

There are two primary reasons. And, the first was addressed by Semaj above. The temple was built in a position that gaves it avenues of approach to the nations of good. Celene is a nearby to the south; Veluna and Furyondy are northwest - which can potentially be caught in a tight vise with pressure from the north; the Cities of Dyvers and Greyhawk are a short march to the northeast. As you can see, the temple had a valuable strategic location.

Second, and this comes from Monte Cook's 2000 Return to the Temple of Elelmental Evil, there is a very ancient and sacred object that is hallowed to a dreadfull and fell power in a cavern below the temple's moathouse outpost. Some personalities used the auspices of the temple to find, gain access to and protect that unholy artifact.

Does any of this help?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:37 pm  

yes it does alot,

what about the scarlett brotherhood?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:03 am  

Oooh, beware the Scarlet Sails of the Southlands!!!

....................Omote

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:05 am  
    Another Big Question

Hey, all.

Well, the Scarlet Brotherhood is another broad topic. Get the Scarlet Brotherhood download, for under $5, from SVGames.com HERE.

In short, they are a nation of humans who reside on the Tilvanot Peninsula in the southern Flanaess. They are a racist culture of intolerant Suel that exert power by assassination, subterfuge and espionage. They are openly known by their red robes and stoic demeanors. And, more frighteningly, they are know for their evil bent and penchant for sowing strife, corruption and lies. They emerged as a known society 573 CY advocating the superiority of the Suel race.

I recommend reading Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (© 2000 WotC) for more details on the Scarlet Brotherhood and all of the Flanaess. If the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is a bit dense for you, get the much smaller Dungeons & Dragons Gazetteer of the same year.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:41 am  

Hi.
    Where i can find a full map of Greyhawk world ?
    If this question was issued before, please point to it.
    Forgive my poor english, and mistakes i`m in 90% self tought.
    CF Admin

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:46 pm  

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=404&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Sun May 16, 2004 9:03 pm  

You can get a map of the Greyhawk world in:

D&D Gazetteer

or

Living Greyhawk Gazetteer

Now, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is far superior to the D&D Gazetteer and, indeed, reprints and expands all the material found in there.

Also, the map contained in these two publications focuses on the Flannaess -- where all the action takes place -- and only has a small thumbnail of the ENTIRE world map. This thumbnail is pretty much just an outline of the continents on the planet Oerth.

I'm actually disappointed that Greyhawk is 3E D&D's default setting yet gets no support. You can only get product support for it if you are a member of RPGA's Living Greyhawk. Then you can receive the journals on Greyhawk.

I know this is sacrilege, but I think it would have made more sense for WotC to make the Forgotten Realms their default setting.

Don't get me wrong, I love Greyhawk (and I certainly don't play Forgotten Realms) but I'm not a member of the RPGA and don't ever intend on becoming a member either. Because of this, myself -- and other non-RPGA members -- get no "official" product support.

But I don't want to turn you off, manachild! There is boundless adventure in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer and who needs product support anyway? You can come up with your own interpretations of this great setting!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun May 16, 2004 9:46 pm  

Sorry, just read your other post.

You've got the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, now. Great.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: