JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next]
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:42 am  
    Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess

I presented my Oerth mapping work earlier in this forum (Map of the Flanaess thread,
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1772

After pondering over the feedback I received I’ve adjusted the format into something I think is more user friendly and a lot more manageable.

The big map are divided into A4-sized (European equivalent to Letter-size) parts a la the “Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas”.

Part 59,72 and 73 are available for download in JPG and PDF formats. In PDF format the layers are intact so you can turn on and of features, which can be used for more info in future versions.

Small versions of the area maps to give you an idea what they look like:

Full size jpg and pdf versions and a map legend can you dowload here:

http://ghmaps.net

For more background on my mapmaking look at the thread: Map of the Flanaess http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1772

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:29 pm; edited 10 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:48 am  

I would post more but the beauty of these maps have left me speechless.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:39 am  

I second Danger Dwarf! Great work. Happy
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:39 pm  

WOW. Keep up the good work Anna. I like your reference chart. Gonna do those entirely water sections too? ;) The Kalamar Atlas is a good model to work from, I never bought into the setting but that book is awesome.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:41 am  

Very Nice, I am in awe of your talent.

Will the map be available for download when complete, is it even feasible.

Also a minor point; I notice no islands in the Dramidj Ocean, will they be included?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:17 pm  

I really enjoy the work you have put into these maps and look forward to more.

Thanks
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:44 am  

Thanks for the replies Happy

First about those all ocean parts, perhaps there are remote island or notable depths or other interesting things noteworthy, if that's the case I'll map them as well :-)

I will add more depths and other details to watery areas, experimenting on it now and it will be there when I'm satisfied whith the looks.

It will take a while for me to do all of the Flanaess, I estimate 2-4 years, depending on my future job status. Each part is about 10MB in size which will make all the parts in the order of 1-2GB. I have 10GB of net storage now so it's certainly feasible to have it all accessable over the web. But I'm hoping to somehow having it printed and I'll do my best to make that happen. All my work is done at high resolution to be ready for printing

The islands of the Dramidj Ocean? I haven't done any research on that part yet, but I promise you to do my best to include every island I can find and add a few more in the process. that is how I've done it with the parts i've published.

First step is the basic canon stuff and then I've added the living greyhawk stuff and tryed to work out some of the inconsistencies, Verbobonc for exmaple. Then I've added own things to the map that I think is sutable and should be there.

If you download the PDF version you can turn off all my own stuff by making the layer "personal campaign" invisible.

I have made updates to the areas 59 and 72 and I will publish them when I get home from vacation. Right now I'm doing research on Bright Desert and Onnwall for area 73.

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:09 pm  

Anna,

I am in awe of your maps.

Will there be UFO landing sites when you do Area 51?
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:33 pm  

Shocked
    Awesome... those are among the most beautiful maps that I've seen. Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

And they actually made me do my first posting after three years of occasional lurking on these boards..... Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:01 am  

Maybe those Ratikan's have some UFO connections Cool

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:58 am  

Hi Anna,

Regarding the Bright and Onnwal - I assume you've been to the Onnwal LG site, which has a reasonably detailed map plus info on the physical geography of Onnwal.

Also - there was an article on the Bright Desert in Dungeon or Dragon a while back that included some location not found in Rary the Traitor.

Ditto Hardby, by the way, Dungeon 109 (IIRC) has a map with some new locations in and around Hardby.

And that's quite enough shameless selfpromotion for one post... :)

If you've any questions about any of the above, just ask

P.
    Ex LG Onnwal fella
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:21 am  

Those maps are awesome and beautiful !
    I wish I could contribute somehow, but I´m not a canon expert.
    The Layer structure is very useful, you could use the maps like those provided for dungeon magazine online, one for the players and one with all details for the DM.
    One thing I noticed: I just printed the two maps out to see what they look like, and perhaps it is my old printer, but the names of the small settlements and humanoid lairs are nearly illegible. They are very small, and if your printer doesn´t print crystal clear (and an old inkjet just won´t) they are hard to read. I´ll try another printer, but it could be a problem.
    But please keep on the great work! I don´t intend to discourage you, I only want to show a potential problem. The idea for a greyhawk atlas is great. Perhaps paizo can get the rights from WotC to print the thing ? (probably wishful thinking, but it is be allowed to dream)

Stefan
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:38 am  

Anna wrote:

But I'm hoping to somehow having it printed and I'll do my best to make that happen. All my work is done at high resolution to be ready for printing

Anna

Anna, what a wonderfull job. And if you manage to have it printed, count me for one, maybe two samples.

Hope you achieve your goal, continue this very Good Job

Serolf,
    from France
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:47 am  

Beautiful maps!!! I'd be very tempted to have every one of the 118 sections professionally printed and laminated so as to be able to use overhead projector markers on them to show campaign movements, character locations, or even dispostions of troops if something really major hit the fan.

Nice work!!!

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:52 am  

Thanks again for your encouraging critisism Smile

First the printing problems you mentioned Stebehil. I've made new versions with the road and rivernames the same size as place names which is 4-10 points depending on size. I know that 4 points needs a very good printer to be readable, zoom the PDF in acrobat reader and print only the zoomed area and you should be able to get good prints on any kind of printer. Perfect for detailed local maps that you can make notes on for future reference. I have milestones, campsites and lots of minute details saved to be able to remeber them next time my PC'c stop for the night, or wander through an area.

Another trick I use is to take snapshots of our gamingboard with my digicam before erasing it to keep records. I have a directory for every area in Greyhawk on my harddrive to keep notes on map research and avdventuring as well.

Woesinger, you manged to guess my vacation reading spot on Happy
    I printed out the whole Onnwal Gazeteer (circa 70 pages) and large versions of the maps which are great with the kind of detail I love to find. But it also makes my work harder to replicate it all with accuracy. The Dungeon issues you refering to gives a lot of extra detail to the Harby area and Bright Lands and an update with it all will be published here in a week or two. I have made notes and preliminary versions on my laptop, but I need my more powerful desptop to make the final maps ready.

To tease you Cebrion I can tell you I've used our ceiling mounted video projector to project maps on the table for battles and strategic planning, it was very cool Happy

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:39 am  

Ceiling-mounted projectors...?

Well, there goes my savings! Happy
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:39 am  

Woesinger; what's with the Ex-LG Onnwal, just curious?

Onnwal was one of the better and logical LG sites, it will continue, I hope.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:55 am  

Oh - I retired from involvement with LG late last year (amicably, I should add). I did 5 years in various roles and basically wanted to do other things with my free time - like noodle around Canonfire offering opinions to anyone who shows even half a suspicion of wanting one. :)

The current Onnwal crew are all competant lads, so the Free State is in good hands.

P.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:34 am  

Woesinger wrote:
    Ceiling-mounted projectors...?

Well, there goes my savings! Happy

See here for example.... http://www.d20srd.org/extras/mapProjection.htm
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:43 am  

Fantastic looking maps, Anna!
    For areas 74 and 87, you may want to check out the various maps on the Irongate section of my website. :-) There are also alot of other maps from different areas all around the Flanaess on many of my other pages. If you have any questions about any of those areas, or if you're looking for canon (or noncanon) geographic advice, drop me a line anytime! I'm not just a Greyhawk sage and cartographer... I'm a geologist. ;-)

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    ==========================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mechanics, mysteries, and more!
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:15 pm  

Anna,

The maps are beautiful, thanks.

You should note, though, before you start incorporating ANY LG content into your maps, you should check with the Triad and WOTC. For the Gran March project they specifically forbade any use of LG Gran March material. The triad stated that they had recieved instructions from WOTC.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:58 am  

You are right Anced_Math

I've been waiting for the day someone would say that about making maps of something someone else has the rights to. But the same ought to apply to ALL Greyhawk content not just LG stuff.

I'll have to restrain myself from publishing any of my work until WotC has either cleared or bought it.

I have to try and figure out the best way to contact them.

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:42 am  

Anna,

WOTC does not jump up and go after someone who uses published WOTC owned (i.e. canon) material. They have stated opposition to using Living Greyhawk (i.e. triad written) material.

Why the double standard, I dont know, but I think that as long as you use solely canon sources, and avoid LG, you will be fine if you dont publish for profit.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:22 am  

Woah now hoss!

Let's make some distinctions here over who owns what and where. (I should add that I'm not a lawyer, but that this is my understanding of intellectual property).

WotC owns any and all Greyhawk material its employees create or it buys from writers.

Anything they don't buy or own under the terms of employee contract is the property of the creator - with the exception of something that's derived from WotC owned material, which, as I understand it, has some sort of joint ownership (they can prevent you from using it if you do so without their permission and vice versa).

In general, WotC doesn't do a TSR and try to stomp on people producing derivative material (such as Anna's map - which is based on the Flanaess, but undoubtedly has original material created by her - pick any of the minor rivers, hills etc that don't appear on any Wotc owned map, for example), as long as they don't try to make money from it. That's why Canonfire can host fan-material without being sued to the wazoo.

The same rules apply to LG.
    Some of the triad and fan created material for LG is owned wholesale by WotC. These are characters, locations, names etc that appeared in Regional scenarios in the first 2 or so years of the campaign. At that time, the RPGA was buying the rights to all scenarios, be they Core, Adaptable or Regional. That policy ended at around the start of year 3 (IIRC). From that point on, RPGA only bought the rights to Core scenarios. Hence for any material created for a region that didn't feature in a WotC bought scenario, the IP rights (at least in part) remain with the author. Of course, the author can refuse to share the material too.

Regarding Gran March and their ban on use of their material, on my time on the LG Circle of 6 (Nov. 2004 to Dec. 2005), I recall no such ruling about limiting regional IP. That's not to say it didn't happen or wasn't valid, but I didn't hear anything about it. Further, when I was on the Onnwal Triad (2002 - 2004), I was aware of no such ruling.

That's also not to say that the Gran March triad aren't in their rights to forbid use of LG GM material. If they're the creators of the material, theycan restrict its use by others. If they're not the original creators of the material, then they're on shaky ground - but you'd have to track down the acutal creator and get their say so (which is obviously a nightmare to try to prove and reason no 1 that no non-explicitly purchased or developed WotC material from LG is ever going to make it into future iterations of the World of Greyhawk).

If a piece of LG GM material is owned by WotC outright, then strictly you should ask their permission. However, since they haven't chased down anyone for using other Greyhawk IP owned by them, then it's reasonable to think that they don't have a problem with it (in the absence of any direct evidence to the contrary - such as a statement of policy or a cease and desist order).

So in short, as I understand it, Anna shouldn't have any trouble using previously published GH material without permission, so long as she doesn't try to make money from it.

With LG material, the situation is more complex. Getting permission from the relevant triads is probably not a bad idea (and it's polite too). I'm sure that 90% of them will be more than happy to see someone make an amazing map of their region and add in all the LG locations too. You still have the problem that the triads won't have created all the material that they include in their region, but here again, though individual creators do have the right to tell you not to use their stuff, 99.9% won't have a problem unless money is being made from the map. If they do have a problem, just take the location out, say sorry and that should be the end of it (if you made no money on their stuff, they can't sue for any damages).

Again this is my understanding of IP rights. If anyone has a better professional handle on the law, feel free to correct me.

P.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:41 am  

Thanks for the offer Malvin I'm sure I'll need your help soon Happy

I think I'll follow Woesingers advice and contact the triads about using their maps as a base for my work and be prepared to keep some content for private use only.

Anna
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:41 am  

Shocked ... Shocked ... Shocked Shocked Shocked

When will you have EVERYTHING ready?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:39 am  

Anna, I'm as awed by your maps as everyone else here. I have one minor nitpick (of course): "Woolly Bay" is misspelled.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am  

Woesinger,

I think your general understanding of IP is fairly accurate. That said, I think I still have the email from LG Gran March which contained the WOTC legal department reply that we could not use Living Greyhawk material in any way, shape or form. The LG Gran March Triad indicated that they would follow WOTC's lead. They specifically included Barony Names, Persons, Places, etc., created by the Triad.

It did not have any statements about the Greyhawk Material inherited from TSR that we generally talk about on this site. As they have exhibited a policy of not pursuing those who use such material (such as myself, you and Anna) I am assuming it is ok, provided we do not attempt to make a profit from that material or derivatives thereof.

Why they restricted the rights thereof in such a manner, I do not know. But I know that they did, and are within their rights to do so.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:32 am  

Wow. I did not know that. Seems I can go to bed now, as I've learned my new thing for today already. Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:11 am  

Anna,

You said in a earlier post, that you have modified the 2 available maps, in order to have the river and/or road names a little bigger to be printer compliant. Are the modified maps available yet ?

Thanks again to share your wonderful work. Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:48 am  

When will everything be ready? Not this year and not next either but hopefully I’ll have most of the Flanaess mapped in three years. I’m sure I’ll never finish mapping Greyhawk, when I’m fed up with the big maps I can always turn my attention to cities and villages :-)

Woolly Bay spelling has been corrected for the next update, thanks DM Prata!

The LG content issue: I’ve moved all the LG content to separate layers which I’ll keep for my own enjoyment until it’s possible to publish it.

Yes there will be new versions of both area 59 and 72 up next week with larger text on rivers and roads. I’m on vacation and my laptop isn’t really up to the job of handling the work on the full map. So I’m constructing terrain and researching the Bright Desert and Onnwall for area 73.

I’ll get home to my desktop mid next week so I’ll be able to render and upload new versions of 59 and 72 then, and hopefully have 73 ready the week after that.
    Novice

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:38 am  
    questions about map/layers

I am new to mapping and could not figure out where to find "layers" in the PDF file to turn on or off. What I would love to do is remove the large writing, shield symbols, and nation boundaries. The map is phenomenol and my vision of Greyhawk is slightly different from Canon. For example, I would take Celene and include all of the Welkwood and Gnarley forest in the nation boundary. I would also rename some nations, making them Elven or Dwarven, etc. and include surrounding forests or mountains as part of the nation. The map you did is incredibly detailed and I love the city and location symbols and names and would use them. I just was wondering if the nation names, shield symbols and national boundaries would be removable? I am currently considering buying CC3 as it has just came out. I am pretty sure it could take me more than a year of hit and miss to do a map I would be happy with on my own. Especially since I will be learning from scratch since this would be my first map making attempt.

Dan
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:24 am  

Hi Coriendal

It took me years of misses and catastrophies to learn to make the maps I do now, and I'm going to start my struggle with CC3 too soon.

You can show/hide the layers in the PDF file using the layer tab in acrobat reader. You should be able to find the tabs to the left, if not you can find them under the meny view, navigation tabs and layers. Then you can turn off the things you want to hide.

Anna
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:50 pm  

LG is a can of worms. Due to the lack of open sourcing the material, who is to know exactly what is RPGA bought, what is privately owned, etc., which is really too bad for nearly all who were involved or are interested in LG. I guess you'll just have to go with the basic map and add from there any things that you have permission to add.

Its really too bad the Greyhawk communiuty is not more united with its permission and in its openess to share. As soon as people begin to speak in legal-ese bad things tend to come about.

Also, what program are you using to create the maps?

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:53 am  

I can’t agree more with you on the legal-ese Cebrion. I’ll keep the LG content private for the time being. Hopefully these issues will settle over time and a more sharing culture can evolve.

To create and render the terrain I use Bryce5.5 and then I use Corel Graphics X3, Photo-Paint for bitmap editing and Corel Draw to make the final map.

Most of the terrain I create myself from scratch but for some I use DEM-files (DEM is a standard for terrain in CAD and other applications) from various sources as a base to work from.

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:04 am  

Can we start up a thread or board where LG contribitors can signify their express authority for map makers and article writers to use names and locations in this way?
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:31 am  

Paul, that might be best done with a brief statement at the bottom of a poster's contribution--something like, "[AUTHOR] hereby grants permission for others to use this creative expression in further creative endeavors so long as the use is not commercial and attribution is given."

Note, this is not legal advice but only a simple suggestion. If you're interested in learning more about "copyleft," see http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/; and http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#OtherLicenses.

Remember, online GH fans have been working in the realm of ethics--in the shadow of the law--since the bad old days when TSR freaked out about the digitization of information (in the mid-1990s). Over the years, Wizards has promulgated various policies, e.g., the d20 license, the policy about converting modules to 3e, and some regarding the LGH.

The company and the policies change, as does our online GH fan community, but my rule of thumb is to respect others' works, referencing them when I mention their works and asking for permission when I make a new work that substantially incorporates what they've shared.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:11 pm  

I’ve updated the area 59 and 72 maps with new versions, with numerous changes. Oceans have more depths, corrected spelling of woolly bay (thanks DM Prata!). Addition and corrections of the Hardby area (thanks Woesinger!)

I’ve also removed all LG content until I’ve got the triad approval to publish it.

Enlarged the typing for roads and rivers to help them look better on printouts.

Work on area 73 is ongoing and hopefully I’ll be able to publish in by the end of next week.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:14 am  

I have updated area 59 with provincial heraldry of Furyondy (thanks Cebrion) and Kronhill Gnomes.

JPG and PDF: https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:13 am; edited 4 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:02 am  

Very nice. I particularly like the coloring of Mistmarsh. I cannot wait to see the Hool.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:57 am  

Truly a work of art Anna Shocked

I am actually drooling, plz continue to post your maps; don't let minor things like eating and sleeping delay you.

It would be cruel Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:30 pm  

To prove to you that I'm still on the job Crag I present a screenshot of what I'm working on Cool

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:10 pm  

Hi

I thought you would like to see a preview of area 73:

It’s still a work very much in progress, but I will publish a first version in a day or so.

Thanks again for all help and encouragement.

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:51 am  

Sweeet! Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:50 pm  

Area 73 map is available in its first version. I’m sure there will be corrections and additions later on but it’s ready to be scrutinized by your expert eyes. The various humanoid tribes on the Pomarj have heraldry now, at least the ones that I have found descriptions of their signs.

There are updated versions of area 59 and 72 as well, mainly changes to sea and heraldry.

Full size JPG and PDF versions: https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:15 am; edited 3 times in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:43 am  

Best Greyhawk maps to date! Keep up the great work!!!

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:49 am  

Thanks alot Cebrion Happy

I try my best to continue to impress you all with more maps, but now I have to take some time for corrections. I have receaved lot's of interesting and demanding responses. I will post new versions as soon as I've made corrections.

Started research for new areas. Next on the list are Irongate, Urnst, Nyrond and Ulek for the next round of new terrain.

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:16 am  

Anna,

As always, these are excellent work. I can't say most GH'ers have seen better anywhere.

Keep up the good work.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:24 pm  

Anna

I have been coming to this site for years even though I am just recently a member (took me awhile to trust the internet, still don't use credit cards on line). I must say that this is some of the best maps and material I've seen anywhere. Been overseas for awhile so have'nt been playing D&D or been to this site for a long time, but was looking at re-getting my campaign going
    My current campaign takes place in and around the Loftwood but I may have to start fresh, in your areas that are done just to get the chance to use one of your maps.
    Excellent work!!!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:38 am  

Irongate! Shocked Oh, the gauntlet has well and truly been thrown down! Wink

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:15 am  

Oh oh, that sounded serious Cebrion. It's only a Skype conversation so far! Embarassed

Thank you for your encourangement it's a pleasure to log in and find replies like that. The best motivation I can get Happy

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:52 pm  

Truly remarkable Anna Wink

Professional quality really, keep up the great work.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:40 am  

Anna wrote:
    Oh oh, that sounded serious Cebrion. It's only a Skype conversation so far! Embarassed

Thank you for your encouragement it's a pleasure to log in and find replies like that. The best motivation I can get Happy

Anna

Oh, I meant that as a little bit of a dig at Maldin (a.k.a. :-{ )in case he is following this thread. Wink See this link for a better explanation of my post’s relevance(Maldin is Denis Tetreault by the way):

http://melkot.com/locations/irongate.html

Check out http://www.melkot.com/ for other fun stuff. The interactive Greyhawk City map is still one of my all-time favorites.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:37 am  

Then I understood you right Wink

We talked about that too

Anna
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:10 am  

Anna, I know you are a long way from it now, but what your thoughts for the Pirate Isles. I think it would be cool to see many small islands in two archipelago arcs connecting Fairwind and the Hook of the Amedio, for one, and Flotsom and the Port Toli peninsula, for the other, like the Bahamas and the Leewards and Windwards envelop the Caribbean.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:30 pm  

Hi again

Time for another update. After some correspondence I have the joy to present all the layers of that map (enough said so I not awaken anything Wink ).

Fulls size JPG and PDF: https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

Wolfsire, please send me a rough sketch so I have something to start working on and we’ll see how soon that can happen.

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:57 pm  

'Tis I again, Anna. "Orcish" is spelled correctly on map #73, but not on map #72. Otherwise, all I have to say is... Shocked Shocked Shocked
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:35 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Oh, I meant that as a little bit of a dig at Maldin (a.k.a. :-{ )in case he is following this thread. Wink

Anna and Cebrion... I think you're misunderstanding eachother. I think this might explain things. Correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Anna... what Cebrion was trying to say is "Aha! Someone else is talking about doing an Irongate map. This possible competitive threat will goad Maldin into finally finishing his own map before someone else can do it! The Battle of the Mappers is joined!" ;-)

Cebrion... what Anna was trying to say is "Ah yes, there are plans to work on the Irongate map, but so far work has been limited to a Skype conversation."

What Cebrion doesn't know... and what Anna doesn't know that Cebrion doesn't know... and what the rest of the CF community doesn't know that everybody doesn't know that we know... is that Anna and I are both very familiar with eachother's work for quite a while, and we have plans to pool our collective complementary talents and together produce a map of Irongate such as the world has never seen. :-)

As time allows. hehehehe

Drool away, Ceb!!! Bwaahhahahahaaaa!!!! :-)
    ::Maldin sits back as Cebrion begins to chew the carpeting::

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    ==========================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!!!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:15 pm  

Your plotting is almost as devious as the Hierarchs!

Hmmm.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:00 am  

I'm afraid Confused Somebody hold me.

(Sleight of Hand check - suckas)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:15 am  

First I’ve corrected the spelling error on map 72, thanks to DMPrata for finding my errors Exclamation

Thank you Maldin for using your wisdom to clear up the misunderstandings, we are going to try and make something really interesting.

I’ll update the map legend and post new version of that next week. At the same time I’ll try and upload another project of mine, also very much D&D related to my webstorage for you to take a look at.

Now I have to try and decide what books and papers to not bring in order to keep the weight down on our trip this weekend.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:14 am  

Hi

Just uploaded a new map legend.

Can be downloaded here:

https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

No new areas yet but I’m working on it!

Anna
    Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:02 am  

Anna, that map legend looks gorgeous! It is a perfect addition to your overall project. Bravo!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:42 am  

Thanks Mortellan Happy

Trying my best to live up to the high standard of content on this site.

I have uploaded a PDF that is not really GH but you might have some use of it anyway.

Here is the link to my webstorage:

https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:59 am  

Anna your job is marvelous! Shocked

congratulations!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:31 pm  

Anna, I just wanted to pipe in that you are very talented, and I hope your work continues to bear such marvelous fruit!
    Novice

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:56 am  

wow, amazing work Anna! I would love to see more of these, thank you so much
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:59 am  

Thank you guys for your interest Happy

Working on more so stay tuned!

Anna
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:43 am  

On map 59, at the top in the Furyondy area is a section titled "Viscounty of the Mark". It should be "Viscounty of the March".
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:01 am  

Corrected versions of map 59 can now be found at the link below:

Thanks Cebrion for your input!

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:51 am  

Gald to see you made use of Robilar's REAL hearldry!!! Happy
    Novice

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:54 pm  

Anna wrote:
    To prove to you that I'm still on the job Crag I present a screenshot of what I'm working on Cool

Anna

Hello Anna

What is the program you are using in that screenshot to make your Maps with?

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 am  

Nice to see that my maps are carefully scrutinized Cebrion :-) I try my best to incorporate as much as possible.

Thuffer, the program in the screenshot is Bryce 5.5 from Daz Productions.
    http://www.daz3d.com/

It’s a true 3D application with a speciality for constructing and rendering terrain. The best application of its kind if I may say so, easy to use (compared to most 3D programs) and very powerful. So if you’re into 3D and maps it’s a must!

Progress report:

Work on Onnwal and the headlands towards Irongate are underway. I’ve sent the western half of Onnwal for an expert’s opinion so I can finalize that part. Basic terrain rendering for the eastern part are running through my computers here as I write this. Finally I’ve managed to set up a small renderfarm of 4 computers (with 6 CPU cores) to speed up rendering.

In the mean time I’m constructing the terrain and other stuff for area 60, and hopefully I can present a screenshot in a day or so.

Thanks again for your interest and help with this.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:25 pm  

I’m going to present a first concept test, its far very far from something finished but I couldn’t resist uploading it.

For a long time I had this idea of doing Oerth from space and now I present my very first take at it. So here is a preview:

The picture in full resolution can be downloaded here:
    http://web.telia.com/~u65801331/Globe1.jpg

Anna
    Novice

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:22 am  

Hello Anna,

My first post ever on Canonfire (even if I'm leeching a lot of material since a while) is to thank you for the great job you did with these maps !

Nicest maps I've ever see !
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:02 am  

Wonderful work, Anna. I´m loving these landscapes :-)

Victor Caminha
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:33 am  

Thanks Wykthor Smile

Finally time to show a first draft on area 60:

I’ll have a first full scale jpg and pdf ready next week. There are some corrections to the other maps so I’ll upload new versions of them as well.

Thanks again for your input!

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:12 pm  

:drool:
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:32 pm  

Here is the first full sized map of area 60:

Full size jpg:

I aimed to have it uploaded during the week but missed it with an hour and half Wink PDF version and update of other maps will be available tomorrow (Monday).

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:01 pm  

The patterning in the marshlands is particularly beautiful.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:35 am  

Another beautiful map - thanks Anna!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:29 am  

I promised to have area 60 map ready last Monday and missed it by a week, sorry for that.
    A week late here it is:

It is available for download along with updated versions of my other maps at the link below

Special thanks to Woesinger for his great help with my research.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:26 am  

Hi

My webstorage will be down for a day or two under which time the link to my maps will not function.

I'll try and gett it back ASAP.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:22 pm  

My webstorage is up again, sorry for the downtime.

There is no new conent yet but hopefully later in the week.

Anna
    Novice

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:36 pm  

I just found this website today and when I came upon your maps I was in awe at how detailed and beautiful they are. I started D&D in 1976 and started AD&D 2 years later. Spent most of my time in 2nd edition and I had the Greyhawk boxed set. Bottom line is I got rid of all my stuff in the early 90's ( I cry now) ecept for some Judges Guild stuff. But your maps again are gorgeous and your 20 year dedication is again awesome.

Is there anywhere where the entire Oerth continent is shown?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:24 pm  

Try Googling "Oerth map". A number of sites will pop up with the maps you seek. Some are official, most are not, but the continent outlines are present on a few of the maps.

Use http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search to find other threads that probably already have discussed this very topic and have the answers you seek. You might also check http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Downloads as well for maps.

If you have more specific questions then please address them in a thread dedicated to that, as this thread is specifically for showcasing Anna's maps and for giving her feedback(and praise Happy ) on them.

Good map hunting! Happy

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:32 am  

Thank you for your interest Zadek.

I hope Cebrions good advice helped you find what you're looking for.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to do much mapmaking the past week and it will take a couple of weeks before I can present my next map, I’m sorry for that but I hope you find the finished result made the wait worthwile

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:03 am  

This is...
    Well...
    Beautiful.
    An excellent work. Really.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:31 am  
    Hmm...

South Province/Ahlissa is still in the works, right?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:02 pm  

Rest assured Scottenkainen it is Exclamation

Working on areas 74 and 87 and I'll post updates here as soon as I have rendered them.

Thanks again for your interest and feedback Smile

Anna
    Novice

Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:20 pm  

By chance I found your postings here on canonfire and I am impressed how far you have come in your work. I admire how constant you are working on the issue of Greyhawk-maps. When we met in 1993 you were already into the topic, just creating the letters looking so much like the original fonts. I guess the fonts you are using on your maps now are the same you created 13 years ago? It is a pity that I do not apply the same intensity on my interests as you do.

Lycka till med resten av arbetet!

Marc
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:32 pm  

Hi everyone!

Sorry for my absence, but reality needed me more than usual lately. I’ve picked up my mapping were I left it a month ago. I’ve updated my software to the latest version of Bryce which is 6 and it has some very nice new features that I will try and put to good use. It will take a few days to update my files and textures to v6 and I have some symbol updates underway as well.

I’ve done some test dabbling during this time and tried my best to apply and expand my technique to more use and I’m pleased with the first experiments for my home campaign. I’ll post it on the net in the future, promise. I bought a new house and will be moving in a not too distant future and have ordered a fibre connection so I can host my files on a proper web server with easy access for me and first and foremost all of you GH fans.

Yes Marc some of the fonts are the ones I made back in 1993, when I first learned to make True type fonts, and the research was well under way even then. I know that you pursue your interest with the same intensity as I do!

Tack för din vänskap och lycka till!!

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:50 am  

I look forward of Highfolk area. Smile
    Novice

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:08 pm  
    Altas of the Flanaess

OMG!!!

I've been looking for this for SO LONG!!
    I've downloaded all of Eric Anondson's maps, and I keep hoping beyond hope that he's gonna finish the continent.

These are every bit as good as his, and I love the format!! But it's a daunting task, Anna.

So, how's it going with these? Please say you're going to finish this in the 2 - 3 years you've stated.

I LOVE what you've done thus far! Keep it up, Anna!!

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:58 am  
    Preview's

Hi all you fellow hawker’s :-)

Thanks a lot drewnchick, I’m a fan of Eric’s work as well. I hope you all enjoyed the holidays. This time of year I thought it was appropriate to do like the big folks do and present a preview of what is coming later on. So here are some tidbits of what I’m working on.

First I have polished and updated some of the first stuff I did to meet my requirements for publication, I’m sure what you can see what it is. It’s one of my favorite places in the Flanaess and highly under developed IMHO.

Here is an area under “construction” which is highly demanded judging from the correspondence I’m getting on what to map.

Below shows something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and finally made myself sit down a do a first draft of and I’m very pleased with the result so I’ll refined it and place it on my Flanaess map soon.

So far all you’ve seen of my work is large area maps but I have done other things for my own campaign and paying customers, and I thought it was time to show that too. First is a small example of a settlement map. I’ve worked on the techniques for making towns and cities into good looking and useful maps and I’m close to achieving something I’m proud to present. Several projects ideas are in the pipeline, some in collaboration with others, some I’ll do on my own.

Here is a concept sketch on one of the projects

I’ve always had images in my head of how my World of Greyhawk look like, I’m sure you all have. Then seeing all those great fantasy movies and other things that has fantastic painted or CG made images of fantasy lands I crave the same for GH. And since no one else have made them I’m going to have a go at it. Her is my first little test rendering to test my abilities

Not much to brag about yet but I’ll try and make some GH landmark and publish the results if I think they are pretty enough.
    Finally a preview of what is next for you, the Dragons Head peninsula and Irongate area. I’m just about to send it for some expert review before I finish it.

Thanks again for all your encouragement :-)

Anna
    “mappinqueen”

Last edited by Anna on Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:10 pm  

No Anna; thank-you for the great maps Wink

I speak for all the computer and aritist challenged out there; I appreciate the effort and detail.
    CF Admin

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:59 pm  

I love seeing other fans display / practice their skill and talent. Thank you Anna. I look forward to seeing all you produce!
    Novice

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:10 am  

Wow...you are truly talented, Anna!

I especially like the photo-realistic image of -- what -- Tenser's Tower, perhaps? Thank you for the update and the looks ahead. You seem to really enjoy this "labor of love" for all us Greyhawk fans. And though I am fairly new to both this website and GH in general (only 6 years playing it), I have come to love the world. And I've come to realize that WotC doesn't give it the same support as the other settings. So...this site and your mapping are a huge boon for me.

Thanks again!

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:56 am  

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the hard work, Anna.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:43 pm  

Amazing Anna. It looks like you're back in the flow of things.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next]
    Page 1 of 7

Jump to: