ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - help with old school rules, more
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    help with old school rules, more
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:50 pm  
    help with old school rules, more

Hi everyone,

I am starting a new GH campaign in a couple of months. I am considering using an older ruleset[I still own many books for 1E and 2E D&D- and much of the older GH material]. I am not 100& happy with any edition of the game, however. I don't want to spend too much time writing and playtesting house rules, but rather writing adventures for my campaign or worldbuilding. I have heard mixed reviews of C&C and also OSRIC. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which system[3E with a few mods,2E, 1E, OD&D, C&C etc] best captures the classic feel, while still being easy to play and understand[this campaign may include novice players]? I like the idea of a D20 core mechanic . It does make the game simpler and faster playing, as well as easier for new players to learn.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:11 pm  
    Re: help with old school rules, more

If you don't mind a (free) pdf only product, check out BFRPG (Basic Fantasy Role Playing Game).

It is written in a style very close to Basic/Expert D&D, but separates the classes and races, and uses the (high is always good) d20 core mechanic.

The main drawback is the lack of a skill system, but being a slimmed down d20 variant, it could easily handle adding in the d20 skills system, and even the feats system if you want to add those things. You can get those systems for free as well, from the D20 System Reference Document, at WotC's website.

BFRPG also has a small but quality selection of adventures and supplements already posted, and quite a lot of development of more material going on.

BFRPG site:
    http://basicfantasy.newcenturycomputers.net/main.html

D20 SRD:
    http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

BFRPG development discussions (at the Dragonsfoot.org Workshop forum):
    http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=42
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:49 pm  
    aha!

Thanks Direrodent, that's a nice system. I am still checking out OSRIC[basically, it's first edition with a few bits of the SRD] and reading up on C&C. They all look similiar to what I'd like: a game combining a more classic D&D feel with some aspects of D20's simpler core mechanics. I Free is a great price, so both OSRIC and the BFRPG are in the lead...
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:12 am  
    Re: aha!

CombatMedic wrote:
    Thanks Direrodent, that's a nice system. I am still checking out OSRIC[basically, it's first edition with a few bits of the SRD] and reading up on C&C. They all look similiar to what I'd like: a game combining a more classic D&D feel with some aspects of D20's simpler core mechanics. I Free is a great price, so both OSRIC and the BFRPG are in the lead...

Since I am not one of the actual developers of OSRIC™ (just an editor), I can state this unequivocally: OSRIC™ was designed to be 99.9% AD&D®. Wink If you're looking for "old-school feel" rules that incorporate the (admittedly elegant) d20 mechanic, I'd suggest C&C. (I'm not a fan of the system myself, preferring AD&D®, but it does seem to be more in the vein of what you're seeking.)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:25 am  

The main reason I don't recommend OSRIC is the fact that it is, for all intents and purposes, AD&D 1st edition. IMO, if you want to play AD&D1e, AD&D1e does the job quite well. Laughing

Now, if you're playing AD&D1e, and looking for adventure modules or expansion material, OSRIC is great. While I have some reservations (that we don't need to get into here) about the long term legality of the thing, I applaud them for attempting to provide material to those of us who don't go for D&D 3.5.

C&C is a solid system, but introduces the new "seige" mechanic, where the difficulty ratings for various tasks are based on the relevant abilities. I personally don't like this, IMO it just adds unneeded complexity to the basic D20 mechanic (which is just fine by itself when not cluttered up with endless feats, templates, prestige classes, etc).

Whichever way you go though, it comes down to which system you prefer. Since GH is a standard fantasy setting, any of the systems will work fine.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:36 pm  
    checked out OSRIC

Well, I read the OSRIC rules. Yeah, it's AD&d 1E. I already own all the books, pretty much.

You know, I always had fun playing the older editions of the game, rules be damned!

DMPrata, you are the creator of the Deitybase? I was looking at it earlier.It's really cool. Much like if Gary Gygax had written up and expanded version of his modified clerics from the old WOG box[which I still have, thank goodness!]. All the coolness of 2E specialty priests, for 1E. Good compilation of info on the pantheons. I am dfeinitely going to draw on it for my home campaign.

Well, I have to go back to work now[cleaning TA 50 for turn in to CIF-it's awful, if you know what the abreviations mean, then you know why it sucks Wink ]. Thanks for thehelp, guys.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 am  

Hijack!!!!

Where are yo stationed? Do you have a post laundry? I know a couple of places that won't accept your gear if it doesn't come to them with the turn-in docs form the laundry. And it makes the work a lot easier.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:05 am  
    Re: checked out OSRIC

CombatMedic wrote:
    DMPrata, you are the creator of the Deitybase? I was looking at it earlier.It's really cool. Much like if Gary Gygax had written up and expanded version of his modified clerics from the old WOG box[which I still have, thank goodness!]. All the coolness of 2E specialty priests, for 1E. Good compilation of info on the pantheons. I am dfeinitely going to draw on it for my home campaign.

Glad you're enjoying it. I have a major overhaul in the works, so check back in a few (?) weeks....
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:56 pm  
    stuff

CallmeAndy, I turned it all in today. Went smoothly enough. They let us clean it ourselves, so we don't have to use the post's facilities.

Stationed at FT Campbell, Ky. I'm in the101st Airborne. But I get out in two weeks. Five years, nearly- in Iraq two of them. A good ride, but I am moving on now.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: