Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The inspiration for the Wanderer (and the Spectre)?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The inspiration for the Wanderer (and the Spectre)?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:57 am  
    The inspiration for the Wanderer (and the Spectre)?

Ivid the Undying mentioned two enigmatic and deathless characters - the Wanderer, who roves the roads of shattered Medegia with his dog, and the Spectre, an ancient elf who dwells in a mansion that seems to be out of space or time, but who seems to be waiting for something.

On my own wanderings on Wikipedia - I happened across this article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

And was struck by the similarities to these two characters. Carl Sargent was known to draw his inspiration from very dispirate parts of his apparently wide reading (the example is Gwydesin of the Cranes who's a mash up of a scientist who discovered imprinting behaviour in crane chicks and Talesin) - so I wonder if he had this tale in mind when he came up with the Wanderer and/or the Spectre? If so - are one or other or both under sone sort of similar curse?

I'm not suggesting there's a direct link between the two, btw, just that one or other or both might be separately cursed with eternal life.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:10 am  

The Wanderer - Groo and his dog (Rufferto) or the Sage and his dog (Mulch)(also from Groo)?

The Spectre - HPL's "Strange High House in the Mist?"

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:33 pm  

Groo! Wow that brings back memories. Nice call GVD.

Hmm, Groo=Grue....nah too big a tangent
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:37 am  

In terms of iconography, the Walker reminds me strongly of depictions of the Fool in the Tarot's Major Arcana, who is likewise sometimes depicted as a wandering man with a bag and a small dog at his heels.

Both of them also have some features in common with a pair of DC/Vertigo comic characters: the Phantom Stranger, another seemingly immortal walker of mysterious aims and origins (who other characters speculate may in fact be the Wandering Jew), and Baron de Winter, an apparently deathless man who lives in a big, rambling house somehow adrift in time which he will not or cannot leave. Probably a coincidence, but interesting nonetheless.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:22 am  

According to a bit of apocrypha, the Walker is walking with a purpose. He is tracing out a symbol on the ground that will remove Medegia (the city) and its taint from the Oerth.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:13 am  

Samwise wrote:
    According to a bit of apocrypha, the Walker is walking with a purpose. He is tracing out a symbol on the ground that will remove Medegia (the city) and its taint from the Oerth.

I think it's the entire See, IIRC. Something about a state transferrance to shift the entire place Elsewhere (perhaps a fading land) - making it something akin to Aerdy's Lyonesse. It came out an e-mail exchange between Noel Graham and Carl Sargent (again IIRC, but it's early and the coffee is only just kicking in Smile).

I've linked this to the fact that Medegia was the part of Aerdy that the Aerdi first settled. It is in effect their Promised Land, and is (certain Naelax overkings aside) regarded as sacred (hence its status as a Holy See). This adds a religious slant to the tussle between Ahlissa and the Compact over Medegia. It also might explain the Wanderer's mission. I mean there's plenty more tainted parts of the Oerth (Almor for starters). So rather than cleansing it from the Oerth, he's cleansing the Promised Land of the Aerdi of the taint that the corruption of the Great Kingdom has sullyed it with.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:35 am  

Isn't the storm giantess of Goldbolt waiting for eastern Aerdy to fall into the sea? Coincidence? Somebody stop the Walker - quickly!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:03 pm  
    Perhaps more than one meaning?

The Spectre is the outermost planet in Greyspace...
    Master Greytalker

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    Isn't the storm giantess of Goldbolt waiting for eastern Aerdy to fall into the sea? Coincidence? Somebody stop the Walker - quickly!

Ah - no - she's waiting to Chathold to fall into the sea.

P.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: