ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Background for a Greek-style character
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Background for a Greek-style character
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:46 am  
    Background for a Greek-style character

Hello all,

Kind of a n00b question, but since I traditionally played most of my games in the northeast of the Flanaess, you might udnerstand.

I created a Greek-like character for a "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" game.

While I thought it would vaguely be set in Karameikos, now it turns to have been placed somewhere in the Flanaess.

Now, where could my distinctly greek-style (medieval Byzantine Greek, not Old Greek) character come from?

To stay as *default* as possible, I have named Brindinford from "The Speaker in Dreams" as his home, but I am not too satisfied with that backstory. Smile

Any suggestions welcome!

Yours,

Rafael

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:13 am  

Well, I always joke that the Keoish are much like the Greeks in that when they are not fighting against outsiders they are fighting among themselves, at least in ancient times.

The character could be from pre-Greyhawk Wars Tehn though, which could lead to some interesting adventuring opportunities as that land becomes more and more unstable and likely to be slowly retaken by its neighbors in little bits and pieces. This might be a better option, but it all depends on what you want to do with the character and your campaign.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:48 am  

Smile Thank you!

Is Tenh a Greek-style country?! I am, like my name suggests :), more a Great Kingdom DM, and had always treated the area totally differently... Shocked

Keoland seems a good option - the area holds many possible Greek-style settings, like Sterich or maybe even the Yeomanry. Smile

Still, I am not too sure what would be the best choice... Smile

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:14 pm  
    Re: Background for a Greek-style character

Ivid wrote:
    Now, where could my distinctly greek-style (medieval Byzantine Greek, not Old Greek) character come from?

Greece in Greyhawk by analogy. That is a good question. Per canon, there is no answer to be had that I am aware of. I can offer only my personal opinion -

I know you specifically excluded Iron and Bronze Age Greece but to me this is the more interesting period. IMC I have salted the borders of the northern coasts of the Azure Sea (including Relmor and Wooly Bays) with some pseudo-Ancient Greek-isms in isolated pockets.

If we move up to Byzantium, for me, the answer is the southern Great Kingdom and Iron League, and their successor/component states. I specifically put Byzantine fashions in this area - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=743 - and if I ever get time to do the series on art in the Flanaess that I would love to do (except that art is such a HUGE topic) I'd put the like of Byzantine religious icons in this area as well.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:06 am  

Smile I'll check the individual regions and check where my backstory (the PC is a gnoll-fighting mercenary who has spent years in frontier forts) fits best...

Really, Tenh could do, Keoland as well, and maybe even Ahlissa and the Azure Sea regions...

Gaah! So many choices... What shall I do?! Smile

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:29 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    IMC I have salted the borders of the northern coasts of the Azure Sea (including Relmor and Wooly Bays) with some pseudo-Ancient Greek-isms in isolated pockets.

If we move up to Byzantium, for me, the answer is the southern Great Kingdom and Iron League, and their successor/component states. I specifically put Byzantine fashions in this area - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=743 - and if I ever get time to do the series on art in the Flanaess that I would love to do (except that art is such a HUGE topic) I'd put the like of Byzantine religious icons in this area as well.

Glenn, are you using Greek/Byzantine culture as an analog to Suel culture? If so then why no greekisms in Urnst (especially the Duchy), the SB, or the Barbarians? The latter I could see having lost almost all traits given their adaption such a radically different environment, but Urnst has a such a strong Suel tradition.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:07 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    GVDammerung wrote:
    IMC I have salted the borders of the northern coasts of the Azure Sea (including Relmor and Wooly Bays) with some pseudo-Ancient Greek-isms in isolated pockets.

Glenn, are you using Greek/Byzantine culture as an analog to Suel culture? If so then why no greekisms in Urnst (especially the Duchy), the SB, or the Barbarians? The latter I could see having lost almost all traits given their adaption such a radically different environment, but Urnst has a such a strong Suel tradition.

As my answer veres off topic, I've opened a new thread not to hyjack this one. Please see - Cultural Analogs. Happy

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:00 am  

Smile So, where? - I think I am going with the Keoland option in the end...

With Barovia being vaguely set in or near Sterich, that's a reasonable distance for my character to travel.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:09 am  

There isn't really a perfect choice, as there isn't any country that is "Greek" in its portrayal really. If you want to portray a country as Grekk in style then go right ahead. As you mentioned Barovia it reminded me of another thread started by "hal" on placing Ravenloft in Greyhawk here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1724&highlight=vale+mists

There are some ideas there, and it seems you posted there too, so this is just a reminder then I guess. Perhaps The Caverns of Thracia might also be of use:

http://secure1.white-wolf.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=527
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:02 pm  

Wow, thank you! I had totally forgotten about those posts. :)

Indeed, it seems that the "western Flanaess" option is slightly favoured, which works with my idea to give my character Keolandish roots.

It's maybe not an "ideal" choice, but, really, given that the distinctly Slavic flavour of RL is not found in WoG in general, that won't be bad.

Exclamation Wasn't there a distinctly Slavic country described in the Chainmail setting?

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:23 pm  
    If anyone asked me...

Hi all,

I would have said the Lendore Isles would make a good Greece analogy, but that suffers if you treat the elves evicting the humans from it as canonical.

South Province is slavic.

Scott "-enkainen" Casper

There's a Yak-Man named Borat out there somewhere...
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:06 am  

Yeah, that's the problem with Lendore. But, of course, I am only a player in our group, and surely won't start canonical debates in a game that, apart from using the 3e "default" setting, doesn't include any other references to WoG. Smile

I had never thought of South Province as slavic. Thank you for the inspiration. (Goes to reread his Greyhawk booklets.)

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:46 pm  
    Or if anyone asked me for more...

Hi again,

It made sense to me that a hilly region just outside a Romanesque Great Kingdom would be analogous to the Balkans. And I once asked Gygax at GenCon if he thought South Province would be culturally analogous to a slavic country and he said yes (though, admittedly, he could have been humoring me). If the Greytalk Archives were up, you could search for a longer list of reasons why South Province is slavic I once prepared.

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper

Yak-Men like to bug famous people at conventions...
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:45 am  

Shocked Very interesting... Brindinford could be located there as well. Exclamation And there goes my character background! Happy Thank you!
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: