JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Google Oerth
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Google Oerth
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:00 am  
    Google Oerth

I was playing with the Google Earth program today. Man, did I have fun. Check out these images, and tell me we don't need a Google Oerth initiative. From what I can tell, you can add layers, overlays, and such. Basically, we could model Oerth using this program.

All we need is some dedicated cartographers and someone willing to learn the Google Earth program in and out. Any volunteers?

Novice

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:04 am  

Looks nice, but I didn't max out my Geek skill :(
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:23 am  

Shame on you!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:05 am  

T' only thing is, though...shouldn't the Isle of Dread be there in the second image (right between the Amedio and Hepmonaland)? Or is it still only "semiofficial" by dint of it being in both the Greyhawk and Mystara universes?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:20 am  

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! A spherical representation of a spherical planet.

The next big trick I guess, is getting terrain features in there, and I'd really love to be able to add in latitude and longitude lines. (I don't mean to come off as critical. What you did looks really nice.) If only I had the skills to do what I can imagine. I envision a completely interactive "globe", where you can zoom in, get a printable map of the region you want, complete with cities (the scale of the map will determine exactly which cities would be shown; obviously a map of Keoland (for example) would not show every little village, but a map that shows an area about 40 or 50 miles per side (assuming the standard 8.5 by 11 inch paper) could show those smaller communities.

I'm getting way ahead of myself here. The project I'm imagining could take years.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:40 pm  

Hi Fellow Hawkers

Interesting this should come up, I got a copy of Wiley's Hacking Google Maps and Google Earth a while ago and just started to study it.
    The possibilites seem as ephealy showed very promising Happy

I'm going to have a go at trying to adopt my terrain maps to Google Earth and with a lot of dedicated work of all you talented people we can have our version of Google Oerth :-)

I'm moving to a new place at the moment so my ability to go online is limited for a while but I'll do some more studying of the possibilities.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:52 pm  

I really hope you can do it Anna. I've seen the previews you posted of your maps so far, and I think they are spectacular. If you can get them on a globe, they might be even better.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:50 pm  

I'd love to see this take off - I have some (okay, a lot) of ranks in Geek in case you need some help!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: