JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Canonfire! Netbook
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Canonfire! Netbook
    Novice

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:12 am  
    Canonfire! Netbook

With the large amount of quality work done on this site, has there been any attempts to collect the best and craft a netbook from the results? I understand that the Oerth Journal has done some quality work, but it is a smattering of topics in each Journal. It is not a complete work on a topic such as culture, race, or politics.

In addition, this site is a breath of fresh air among the smog-like sites that cater to the childish, inane and stat-hording side of DnD and Greyhawk. Here's to the continued existence and success of Canonfire!

Thanks!

The Captain
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:41 pm  

I would not want to be the one to decide who's version is the one that goes into the book, as I think that is saying that one person's interpretation of something is more valid than another’s, and this site is mostly all fan work in the first place. I think it would be better to have an index with links and sub-links to various articles and discussions instead. Article submissions are subdivided by the type of article they are already, though forum threads (which have resulted in some very interesting information) on various subjects are nicely hidden within the forum search engine. Due to the large number of discussions on similar topics, wading through this information can be a chore sometimes, but I don't think there is much of a way around that. High speed internet access certainly helps. Happy

An indexed article data base would be a great feature for the site though. By this I mean something along these lines:

The Big Book of Greylore

The Baklunish

History
    ---article #1 link
    ---article #2 link, etc.
    The Baklunish Lands
    ---article #1 link, etc.
    Religion
    ---article #1 link, etc.
    Culture
    ---article link #1, etc.
    Notable Personages
    ---article link #1, etc.

Arranged in this way, there is not really a compiled book, but it is easy to find what has been written for the subject matter here at Canonfire! One can then pick and choose what articles they like and put them into their own book form as they wish.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:38 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    An indexed article data base would be a great feature for the site though. By this I mean something along these lines:

The Big Book of Greylore

The Baklunish

History
    ---article #1 link
    ---article #2 link, etc.
    The Baklunish Lands
    ---article #1 link, etc.
    Religion
    ---article #1 link, etc.
    Culture
    ---article link #1, etc.
    Notable Personages
    ---article link #1, etc.

Arranged in this way, there is not really a compiled book, but it is easy to find what has been written for the subject matter here at Canonfire! One can then pick and choose what articles they like and put them into their own book form as they wish.

That would be perfect, barring any book reached by Canonfire! consensus. I have been trolling around here for a while. I have picked at a few articles with nice little tidbits to use, but it is quite a chore to sift through the forums and all of the articles for those bits. The TOPICS section on this site does have a good list of all the articles here, but a more comprehensive list like you suggest would be quite nice. Someone should get on that... ;)

The Captain
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:00 am  

That idea reminds me of the old Codex of Greyhawk website's navigation.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:17 pm  

That is a good example. It's a web-book built using a simple navigation set-up. I think it would be almost impossible to link forum threads to it as there are so many, but articles could be. Even still, there are hundreds if not thousands of articles to link to the correct subject. I'd be willing to help sift through the articles and categorize them if somebody else does the Table of Contents and sets up the actual links.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:51 pm  

Cebrion, the happens to be similar to the approach I've been taking with my Baklore and Western Reaches projects. For the Western Reaches, at least, I've taken Unapproachable East and used it as a template - slowly filling in each section with information.

I started with a series of "What We Know" articles which I posted to the forums. From there, I've moved on... but starting with the next Oerth Journal, you should see some of the fruit of that labor.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:06 am  

Something for Oerth Journal then, eh? I'll be sure to memorize my favorite Oerth Journal related spell then, that being

Cebrion's Big Red Pen of Horriplation!!!
    (Yes, the exclamation points are actually part of the spell name.)
    Laughing

Sun May 06, 2007 2:01 pm  

I've tried this before, but every /cough FREE "convert to pdf" program I have tried always messes up the formatting.

I have a module by Braggi (that is really good) fully ready to go in both 1st/2nd and 3.5 Ed versions. Just have to find something that will convert the MS Word into a PDF without messing up the formatting. By this I mean, the page layouts are all done. Whenever I use a free pdf converter, parts of page 2 are on page 3 etc...

I have had this idea you propose before, as you can see from the following thread from Dec. 2004, wow hadn't realized I have been using Canonfire that long, lol...

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=847&sid=ba3f54906bdf85f7353bfb6cb7c2c53e

I'm just now getting back into my admin role on CF after like a 1yr + break, so I have alot of other loose ends I need to tie up first anyway.

Sun May 06, 2007 3:46 pm  

Great to see you back Abysslin! Happy

As to the file you are having issues with converting to PDF without losing the format, send a PM to Duicarthan who is the Oerth Journal Editor and person who puts all the articles into the final format, or try Sylvos, who is an unthinkably high level Adobe Suite user. One of them ought to be able to help you iron out any SM-PDF format issues.

I checked out your thread and that is exactly the format I was describing for "The Big Book of Greylore". You have the subject very limited, which is perfect for the subject you chose, but the structure is spot on. For a full listing of everything you'd need to have a main table of contents page with links to take you to sub-pages of more specific tables of contents, and from there to the article listings for the specific subjects.

Sun May 06, 2007 4:20 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Great to see you back Abysslin! Happy

Oh, I know. The slavery has begun already! Wink

Losing Greyson, and Gary's lack of anything in the way of motivation, I have an idea of what I'm about to walk into...

Cebrion wrote:

As to the file you are having issues with converting to PDF without losing the format, send a PM to Duicarthan who is the Oerth Journal Editor and person who puts all the articles into the final format, or try Sylvos, who is an unthinkably high level Adobe Suite user. One of them ought to be able to help you iron out any SM-PDF format issues.

Sweet, I may just do that when I have time.

Cebrion wrote:

For a full listing of everything you'd need to have a main table of contents page with links to take you to sub-pages of more specific tables of contents, and from there to the article listings for the specific subjects.

This is something that is well within the boundaries of my abilities, but prolly not my time. Sad
    We have ALOT of content on Canonfire!
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: