Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - I had an idea for an article...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    I had an idea for an article...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:32 pm  
    I had an idea for an article...

...but I need to do some research on Lum the Mad. Can anyone point me towards background material on the odd fellow with a machine fixation? The search function has failed me.

any help is appreciated!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:05 am  

Lum the Mad [NPC]
    DRG#82 - 58
    DRG#167 - 13
    DRG#294 - 96
    DRG#299 - 101,103
    Eldritch Wizardry - 46
    Ivid the Undying
    Living Onnwal Gazetteer - 5

Lum the Mad, Machine of [ITM]
    Dungeon Masters Guide 1st Edition - 124,159
    DRG#299 - 103
    Living Onnwal Gazetteer - 5
    The Return of the Eight - 47
    The Adventure Begins - 24
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:01 am  

w00t!

thanks!
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:52 pm  

Geez, Healy, don't you ever take a break? Well done!
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:55 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    Geez, Healy, don't you ever take a break? Well done!

Bubbagump,

You too can be a Greyhawk Index Master (tm). Go to Harvesters Heroes at:
    http://www.harvestersheroes.com/cms2/index.php

Create an account if you don't have one. Go to the download section and hit the Category: Encyclopedia Greyhawkania. Download Jason Zavodas excellent resource, open it, search it and cut and paste just like Ephealy.

I use this all the time to find references to my heraldry project.

In Service,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus

Teaching folks to fish for a while now...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:38 pm  

Having done some research on the Baron myself I'll save you some time and let you know that DRG #299 and the Living Onnwal Gazetteer have got bupkis in the wasy of solid information on Lum. They just make passing mention of him and his Machine. There's also mention made in the Book of Artifacts of the Machine and Lum. Another source I can think of is Vortex of Madness although it centers around the Machine and I haven't read through the whole thing yet so I can't tell you how useful it might be.
    Rasgon started an interesting thread on Lum, Tuerny and Luek-o awhile back when. You can find it here - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2138&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lum

Great subject for an article. Good luck.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:40 am  

Also of note: The machine of Lum the Mad appeared in the game Baldur's Gate II, near the bottom of the Watcher's Keep dungeon. There's a madman trapped inside who uses it to summon Mind Flayers and Githyanki for giggles.

What Lum was doing in the Forgotten Realms in anyone's guess. Tourism, maybe?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:58 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Having done some research on the Baron myself I'll save you some time and let you know that DRG #299 and the Living Onnwal Gazetteer have got bupkis in the wasy of solid information on Lum. They just make passing mention of him and his Machine. There's also mention made in the Book of Artifacts of the Machine and Lum. Another source I can think of is Vortex of Madness although it centers around the Machine and I haven't read through the whole thing yet so I can't tell you how useful it might be.
    Rasgon started an interesting thread on Lum, Tuerny and Luek-o awhile back when. You can find it here - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2138&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lum

Great subject for an article. Good luck.

Good to know. I found a copy of 'vortex of madness' whilst cleaning out a storage bin last week, I'll go pull it off the shelf and re-read it.

Ok, short sketch - I was reading a back issue of Dragon magazine that talked about steampunk. well, along the way I started thinking of technology and Greyhawk. The Machine of Lum the Mad, The Mighty Servant of Luke-O, Expedition of the Barrier Peaks being among the most obvious examples that come to mind. well, as I was pondering the impact of high tech and steampunk, the thought occured to me that we haven't really seen much in the way of development for the idea. Granted, to a purist there wouldn't be much of a point, mixing fantasy and technology is always a risky choice for one's campaign....but what if a powerful mage got ahold of some bit of high tech? It's certainly plausible. I started thinking about how someone from a magical reality would view something from a high tech reality, and started kicking the thought around in the back of my head.

So I thought I'd base an article of some sort around how a powerful (if somewhat anonymous at this point) mage would investigate something like the Machine of Lum the Mad and what their lab notes might look like.

And thus was born the Idea for a little book I like to call 'The Mechonomicon'. Take a bit of those Lum the Mad notes, dig up some of the machine lore of the realms, throw in a bit of Lovecraftian style madness, mix well and store upright in a cool dark place.

Anywho, that's my thought for a bit of writing. Any thoughts and/or comments are appreciated, as always.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:50 am  

On the whole steampunk/techno-fantasy subject some other good GH sources are -

LGJ #1 "Places of Mystery" by Erik Mona. This has a good bit of info on the Belching Vortex of Luek-o. The technology source is from a different time on a parallel Oerth and gives more of a sci-fi high tech vibe IMO. If I ever run anything there this I'll probably adapt part of the old CM6 "Where Chaos Reigns" module, which deals with interactions with an advanced time-traveling civilization.

DNG # 91 "Kambranex's Machinations" by Robert Lee. The background on this adventure is tied in with the Belching Vortex but has a few new things to add, especially the magnetic ore magnelite which renders constructs inoperative. It has more of a sci-fi high tech feel.

DNG # 126 "The Clockwork Fortress" by Wolfgang Baur. The tech in this adventure is homegrown, well at least if you consider the City of the Gods to be homegrown. That is what the background seems to indicate. It also seems to have more of a steampunk feel to it, to me at least.

UK4 "When a Star Falls" is an AD&D module with an unnamed setting but I know a few have placed it in GH and IIRC there was even a thread at one point discussing just that topic. The tech part deals with some renegade Svirfnebli who use constructs, seemingly of their own invention.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: