JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Converting a 2nd Ed character to 3ed
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Converting a 2nd Ed character to 3ed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:48 pm  
    Converting a 2nd Ed character to 3ed

I decided to start to get to know the 3ed rules by converting my 17th level mage from 2nd Ed to 3ed stats. (I started playing this character when I was 8. I'm now 35. He's a tough SOB.) So, I dutifully started converting.

First thing I noticed..... man, is there a change in XP. My character had about 2.67 million XP.... now he only has around 140,000. No wonder character advance so quickly under the new rules.

Now, some questions.... how do you handle skills and feats when converting? Some of the proficiencies my character had no longer exist. I was thinking of just figuring out how many skill points he would have had per level, and assigning skills and feats accordingly, trying to stick close to what I already had?

Also, if my character has magic items that aren't converted, can I just treat them as being functionally the same (ie. Zagyg's Spell Component Case, Ring of Protection +5, +1 Saves, etc)?

That's all that comes to mind so far. I kept him as strictly a 17th level wizard, rather than worrying about prestige classes and stuff.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:43 pm  
    Re: Converting a 2nd Ed character to 3ed

SUPrUNown wrote:
    First thing I noticed..... man, is there a change in XP. My character had about 2.67 million XP.... now he only has around 140,000. No wonder character advance so quickly under the new rules.

This is tongue-in-cheek right?

Quote:
    Now, some questions.... how do you handle skills and feats when converting? Some of the proficiencies my character had no longer exist. I was thinking of just figuring out how many skill points he would have had per level, and assigning skills and feats accordingly, trying to stick close to what I already had?

That's the usual method. The conversion manual by WotC helps figure out some of those "lost proficiencies".

Quote:
    Also, if my character has magic items that aren't converted, can I just treat them as being functionally the same (ie. Zagyg's Spell Component Case, Ring of Protection +5, +1 Saves, etc)?

The standard 2E ring of protection adds to AC and saves, the standard 3E one only to AC. Though you can of course make a ring that does both in 3E. I think most items should have been converted somewhere. Just ask around on the right forums or google it (conversion <item name>). For example check out Duicarthan's Greyhawk magic item conversions

Quote:
    That's all that comes to mind so far. I kept him as strictly a 17th level wizard, rather than worrying about prestige classes and stuff.

A straight wizard is ok. Though you might want t out the Archmage PrC. If you had a 2E character kit you might want to carry over the flavour by using the right prestige class and/or feats.

Using an online SRD helps too. I like www.d20srd.org.

Is this a Greyhawk character? If yes you might want to take a look at the excellent Greyhawk regional feats articles in Dragon magazine 315 and 319.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:32 am  

Yes, it was tongue in cheek. 8)

I have the conversion manual, but it's a little .... "vague".

Yes, it is a Greyhawk character. I will have to try and track down that list of regional feats. Any idea where I can find it online?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:53 pm  

You will not likely find the regional Greyhawk feats online for free perusal (at least at any reputable site) as it is copyrighted material. They are in Dragon magazine, issues #315 and #319. You might still be able to order these issues on-line from paizo.com.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:06 pm  

Then I'll have to do without. I have no intention of buying magazine downloads that don't include all the articles from the magazine (as many of the Paizo issues are missing entire articles).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:08 pm  

If you have any more specific questions, you can ask on here. The Ring as was noted is not standard, but the cost to add a bonus to saves on a protection ring is not too bad. It falls under Custom item creation rules. It costs 1.5 times the cost of a separate item.

So that ring would be 50,000 for +5 protection, +1500 for the bonuc to saves. Make it +5 to saves for only 37,500.

Archmage is something worth looking at. Most 3E conversions of Tenser and Mordenkainen I have seen use it. If he was an Elementalist, you can use Elemental Savant from Complete Arcane. If he followed Istus, there is Fatespinner.

As for feats and skills, yeah, you should be able to recreate the flavor by giving him the right skill points and number of feats, and choosing along those lines.

A hard thing is often dealing with ability scores. You should start him with the rolled values as your 1st level values, then give him the +1 per 4 levels bonus, probably to INT.

ROB
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:16 am  

Indeed, tell us more of this character and we can offer you more converions help, if you want it.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: