ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Bleredd's Family
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Bleredd's Family
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:33 am  
    Bleredd's Family

Hi everyone,

reading Bleredd's entry in the LGG, I was wondering who his family is (beside his wife Ulaa). I began searching all my old GH-Books and went on the Internet but couldn't find any hints...
    Suggestions anyone?

Ergebenst Euer
    Lagrange, Baron de Banville
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:29 am  

In this excellent thread Ripvanwormer (aka rasgon) has Ulaa [...] as the mother of both Garl Glittergold and Moradin with a previous husband, but that particular myth is from the dwarven (either duergar or duergar-sympathizing) point of view; they probably believe Ulaa is Moradin's creation.

Also from that thread:
    Ulaa is the mother of mountains, worshipped by all the peoples who live there. Some claim she was forged by Moradin at the beginning of the world, while others claim Moradin is her son. She has taken a human god as her consort, the latest of several. Her previous husbands have died protecting her from the Fire-Snake that lives in the heart of the planet; only Bleredd, her current husband, managed to defeat it.

Some say that Bleredd was originally a mortal Flan miner which is also mentioned in OJ22. This would point to Bleredd being relatively recently ascended. Some say that Ulaa too is a rather new god:

ULAA
    Ulaa C Hills, Mountains, Gemstones LG F
    Bleredd C Metal, Mines, Smiths NC M

The origins of Ulaa is shrouded in history, all that is known that shortly after the migrations ended, various communities, that were near mountains, received aid from Ulaa against the evil forces emerging from the underearth. To this day the aims of Ulaa and her clerics remains mysterious and unknown. All that is known is that if community is in peril from those who dwell beneath the earth, Ulaa will take an interest.

With the coming of Ulaa a popular mythology grew about her and her heroes and one of the most visible is the saga of her husband Bleredd, the patron of miners. Bleredd was a human miner of great renown who fell in love with Ulaa after a great quest to win her heart Ulaa married Bleredd. While Ulaa takes an interest in defeating the dwellers of the underearth, Bleredd takes an interest in protecting those who work the earth and it's treasures. Almost every mine and refinery throughout Flanness has a shrine to Bleredd and a tale of him saving the local miners.

Other references (which i can't look up at the moment): Warrior’s of Heaven, pg 91,Greyhawk Player’s Guide, pg 19, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, pg 167.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:51 am  

Thanael wrote:
    Other references (which i can't look up at the moment): Warrior’s of Heaven, pg 91,Greyhawk Player’s Guide, pg 19, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, pg 167.

Thanks, I had those links between Ulaa and Bleredd already. I own all those sources you mentioned except Warrior's of Heaven. What is this? I've never heard of it!
    The Oerth Journal #22 is an interesting one for sure, even if it doesn't answer my question.
    I find Garl Glittergold/Moradin being sons of Ulaa rather bizarre, though I like most of the stuff Ripvanwormer usually comes up with...

Ergebenst Euer
    Lagrange
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:32 am  

Warriors of Heaven is a very critically acclaimed 2E accessory, sort of a companion to the also very critically acclaimed A Guide to Hell.

I got fun out of both books. As I'm not at home atm i can't look up the reference though I think that there won't be much new info about Blerred in there.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: