JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Cartography Software
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    Cartography Software
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:33 am  
    Cartography Software

I am planning on updating an area of Greyhawk from an old campaign. This area is a group of three islands not on the canon map although within the Azure Sea (about 100 to 160 miles south of the western half of the Pomarj) which we had "cleared" then settled.

What are the best cartography programs presently available? I am looking for something that will look sharp without having to pay a fortune.

--Telemachus
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:20 pm  

What qualifies as "best" depends on a few things. Are you familiar with Photoshop or Illustrator? If you don't think you'd be comfortable with programs of that technical level or don't want to be bothered with learning a format nearly as complicated, then you might not want something like Campaign Cartographer 3(http://www.profantasy.com/). Here is a link to the CC 3 Gallery: http://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3_gallery.asp

Dundjinni is a very simple and easy to use program, but it’s not really set up to do overland geographical maps. It is best used to create detailed views of outside adventuring environments, like dungeons, caves, woodland clearings, and even whole castles. One guy is doing up the entire Temple of Elemental Evil series maps using Dundjinni as a base. They offer a variety of graphic sets and there are also a lot of fan-made graphics available for this program linked to the company site(http://www.dundjinni.com/).

Another option that I've heard of some people using is hand drawing maps in black ink on plain white paper, scanning them, and using MS Paint to color and label them. If you have a scanner and MS paint already then you can make clean looking, colored maps for free.

Expect to spend anywhere from $40-120 US on a decent mapping program though.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:09 am  

Cebrion,
    Thank you for the input. I'll probably go with Campaign Cartographer 3. It looks as though it will best meet my needs. As far as the level of difficulty and price, that won't be a problem. This company's full line of products appears to be impressive, if I like CC3, down the road I may expand my purchasing of their product line.

--Telemachus
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: