Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A Beginners Guide to Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    A Beginners Guide to Greyhawk?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:27 am  
    A Beginners Guide to Greyhawk?

Hello there everybody!

I've being trying to research Greyhawk for a bit now, but will limited success. I've been looking over the articles you have here, but as I'm a bit useless with filing systems, I can't quite seam to find what I am looking for.

Is there any article, or series of them, which would give be a brief breakdown of the world? Basicly Greyhawk for Dummies.

Thanks in advance! Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:58 pm  

Welcome to Greyhawk!

I do not know if there is such an article here, or anywhere. However, on a similar thread, I think it was Rasgon who suggested Players’ Guide to Greyhawk, which you can download for $4 at paizo.

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/w/wizardsOfTheCoast/byProductType/roleplayingGames/dungeonsDragons/aDAndD2/greyhawk/v5748btpy7mn8

Personally, I would think a better option is what is often called the ’83 boxed set. It would not be in the box, but for $4 you can’t beat the pdf.

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/w/wizardsOfTheCoast/byProductType/roleplayingGames/dungeonsDragons/aDAndD1/greyhawk/v5748btpy7meh
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:01 am  

I see. Very interesting.

Those certainly look like the kind of thing I'm looking for.

One question though: How up to date are they? Have their been any major shake-ups in Greyhawk, or don't I need to worry about stuff like that?
    CF Admin

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:37 am  

I have a large current playgroup who have never played in GH before, so I'm need to put together some sort of intro/summary/etc. I'll certainly leverage the historical overview from the folio/box set, and then create something more specific based on the area where we'll be playing (Maure Castle environs), too.

Anyone have additional recommendations for such?

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:04 pm  

I'd recommend the D&D Gazetteer(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/117420000). It is like the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, but cut down to only the most common info that characters would know. It would be perfect for new players. Better still, photocopy just the sections of the lands that each character is from, and perhaps the immediate surrounding lands and just give them just those sections. This represents that characters will not have knowledge of the lands across the whole Flanaess, but only the main ones that they are from or that are their neighbors. Add to that information suited to your campaign and its time to turn the characters/players loose to explore the world.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:34 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Better still, photocopy just the sections of the lands that each character is from, and perhaps the immediate surrounding lands and just give them just those sections.

Thats exactly what I do. I give each of them a sheet that has a photocopy of the basic text from the Folio (which is limited to a few paragraphs, or use From the Ashes, or the D&D Gazetteer) of their home region and any pertinent adjacent geographic features (forests, hills) with a rough sketch of their home country and immediate neighbors, a photocopy of a brief description of their god (if appropriate), and a photocopy of any other appropriate descriptions (such as the CoG thieves' guild, University of Magic, etc)... all cut-and-paste onto a single page or two and rephotocopied. They keep this background info sheet with their character sheets.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    =========================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:58 pm  

A Short Introduction to the World of Greyhawk:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=197

Cheers!

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:52 am  

You should get your hands on the 83' boxed set, rather than try to make sense of the Living Gazetteer.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:21 pm  

Hehe Slimy. Note that the thread is 1 year old. I hope that they figured out what they needed before now. Laughing Welcome aboard though.

Seeing threads like this does give me the idea that we should compile a FAQ on Greyhawk itself. This FAQ could provide answers to common questions, such as "How do I get started in Greyhawk?" and so on, plus links to lots of Greyhawk goodies, both here and elsewhere.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:10 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Hehe Slimy. Note that the thread is 1 year old. I hope that they figured out what they needed before now. Laughing Welcome aboard though.

Seeing threads like this does give me the idea that we should compile a FAQ on Greyhawk itself. This FAQ could provide answers to common questions, such as "How do I get started in Greyhawk?" and so on, plus links to lots of Greyhawk goodies, both here and elsewhere.

that would be a great idea!
    i would add a question about gh canon too
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: