Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hackmaster Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Hackmaster Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:25 am  
    Hackmaster Greyhawk?

I asked about C&C previously, now I am curious about Hackmaster. I have looked into this previously and it appears to be 1e AD&D rules with some changes. I believe I read somewhere that the person who created Hackmaster is the person who had the comic strip Knights of the Dinner Table. He was able to get a licensing agreement from WotC (how'd he do that?) to use the 1e AD&D rules to create the Hackmaster RPG (which is the game the players use in KotDT).

Does anyone in the Greyhawk community use these rules to run a campaign? Any thoughts on the pros and cons or this RPG?

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:19 am  
    Re: Hackmaster Greyhawk?

Telemachus wrote:
    I asked about C&C previously, now I am curious about Hackmaster. I have looked into this previously and it appears to be 1e AD&D rules with some changes.

Actually, it's pretty much AD&D 2e, with some added complexity that's meant to enhance the parody (that and adding "Hack" to every other class and ability...).

Quote:
    I believe I read somewhere that the person who created Hackmaster is the person who had the comic strip Knights of the Dinner Table.

Jolly Blackburn was one of the people involved int he Hackmaster project.

Quote:
    He was able to get a licensing agreement from WotC (how'd he do that?)

Basically, he had WoTC over a barrel--they'd reprinted a number of his KoDT strips in the Dragon CD-Rom set 'round 1999. He sued because he was not paid royalties or even asked permission if they could republish those strips (at the time, most cartoon submissions to Dragon were frelance submissions that were a one-time printing license, with all rights reverting to the artist upon publication of the strip) -- in effect, WotC had accidentally stolen his work.
    AFAICT, part of the settlement was that WoTC permitted him and KenzerCo to acquire a license to use the (by then OOP) 2nd Ed rules for use in the Hackmaster game.

Quote:
    Does anyone in the Greyhawk community use these rules to run a campaign? Any thoughts on the pros and cons or this RPG?

Kenzer was going to do a license version of Greyhawk for Hackmaster, called "GreyHack." But WotC refused to grant a license to Kenzer to do it.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: