JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - I need your help guys
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    I need your help guys
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:05 pm  
    I need your help guys

I just took the time and typed it all out here instead of linking threads to the other posts on another forum.
    Hope that helps, read below.

Last edited by Damaja on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm  
    also

My campaign is basically as follows ......

Timeline is towards the middle/end of the Greyhawk Wars.

The West - The Drow have united the humanoids, Giants etc etc and overran the entire west. It was quick and deadly. Not much left, everything was pretty much destroyed.

The East - The Great Kingdom has abosorbed the North and South Province and united as one Kingdom. The East pretty much is controlled by The Great Kingdom. Almor is also .... gone.

The North - Dominated by Iuz. The Shield Lands are gone as well.

The two main good nations that survived are Nyrond and Furyondy but both are doing everything that they can just to maintain the lands they currently have. Times are hard for both, comunications between the two are very low but there able to keep contact at times. Neither kingdom has the strength to aid the other. Nyrond has stabalized its borders vs The Great Kingdom and the Northern lines of Furyondy have been fortified and are holding as well.

The Free City of Greyhawk - They have absorbed most of the Wild Coast and is now the Free Lands of Greyhawk. The lands were absorbed to be able to handle the huge influx of refugees from the destroyed lands. There lands are stable and are not at thread from any evil lands at this time.

The Elves and the Dwarves have both closed there borders and have totally cut off comunication with the outside world.

My world is actually a pretty bleak one.
    Now on to my idea!

As stated above, I love Dragonlance alot but my home will always be Greyhawk. I went through a troubled time for a bit, but came to my senses haha and have decided to stay with Greyhawk. What I want to do is .... I want to figure out a way to take a piece of Krynn and transplant it into my current Greyhawk campaign. With all the free lands that have opened up due to the war I can insert something like this and it would not hurt the actual campaign.

I was also thinking the way that I have my Greyhawk campaign set up it has PLENTY of free lands after this big Greyhawk war to do something like that, figuring a way to say ok this War of Chaos in Krynn, so much magic was used a rift opened and some of Krynn was ripped away and it could be said it ended up in my campaign world of Greyhawk.

in my campaign ....

remember when the Shield Knights were forced to leave the Shield Lands when the Shield Lands were overrun by the forces of Iuz? They retreated into The good kingdom - The Kingdom of Furyondy.

Furyondy did not to much like this new order of Knights moving into Furyondy because both Knighthoods .... The Knights of the Shield and Furyondy's knighthood ... The Knights of the Hart both had there own ideas and ways and they kinda clashed. The Shield Knights requested Furyondy send in Knights with The Shield Knights to attack Iuz within the Shield Lands and Furyondy refused saying they needed the Knights to defend there nothern borders against Iuz.

Well, the Knights of the Shield didnt care much for this but they knew they could not do it alone. Most of the civilian population migrated into the Free Lands of Greyhawk to take refuge.

Now heres the idea I was thinking of.

(Timeline - The Chaos War) (The battle of the High Clerist tower. ok so the Knights of Takisis have attacked the Knights of Solomnia at the high clerist tower. Lets say some kinda rift opens and rips due to the large amount of magic being used in a concentrated area and the entire battle is ripped away from Krynn, not the buildings, just the people and all of a sudden ..........

*poof*

Both sides are like where the hell are we? Naturally the fighting stops because they realise something BAD has happened and if you remember both sides one good and one evil were both honorable in the knightly ways.

time passes and both sides are forced to deal and adapt to there new lands So the evils go one way but (we keep em all in the same general area) and they build a fortress or city with there wizards etc and lets say the Solomnic knights build a new High Clerist tower and a city ... maybe New Palanthas? and keep there ways as they had on Krynn.

ok now weve established that, lets say over time the Knights of the Shield have given up on retaking the Shield Lands and they hear how these Knights of Solomnia were brought here by unknown ways, since Furyondy refused to aid them opting to keep there knights defending there own borders, whats to say the Knights of the Shield do not march down and form an alliance with the Solomnic faction and end up being the frontline guard of New Solomnia? maybe the High Clerist Tower gets manned by the Shield Knights?

What to do with the Knights of Takisis? Maybe have em join the Knights of Solomnia?

So could this actually work, or is there a better way of doing this?
    Anyways someone wanna run with this?

Sorry for the LONG thread and maybe it did not run together to much.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:11 pm  

Why go through all of the "magic rift" stuff? Why not just take the names and themes you like from Krynn and transplant it into your own version of Greyhawk? Why not make the Knights of Takhisis an order of evil knights dedicated to Iuz? The Knights of Solamnia could be the Knights of Holy Shielding. Alternately, if you prefer Takhisis to Iuz, make her the lord of those lands, changing names appropriately. Or maybe she's Tiamat here, and these are evil dragon-worshipping knights, using the Talons of Tiamat (Draconomicon prestige class) and Dragon Lord (Dragon Magic PrC) to represent them. I've been thinking myself of reworking the Age of Worms adventure path into the Age of Wyrms; an all-out attempt by the evil dragons to take over a large portion of the Flanaess. Many of your ideas sound like you might consider looking at some of the Midnight campaign material; in it, evil won. The dark god collected all evil to him and conquered. The lands around now suffer under the iron heel of this dark god, and only guerrilla fighters strive against him. You could always have the "magical rift" drop your battling knights into Oerth, but wouldn't it be better if they were a part of the established world? That way they have a history and "traction". Hope this helps.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:01 pm  

There is a whole monkey buttload of ocean, if you really want Kyrnn on Oerth, why not just make it a continent to the South?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:06 pm  

Whats this Midnight thing you are talking about? You have some links to sites that describe this? I like the idea of evil winning the war if thats what you are talking about. As for adding parts of Krynn, I just wanted to add a neat FLARE to the world of having folks from another world pop in and be like "what the hell?"

Im just trying to run a greyhawk campaign thats exciting and dark and of all things different than the stand greyhawk campaign.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:11 pm  

Midnight: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/midnight.html
    And they're working on a movie (still...). As to the flair of throwing in unfamiliar elements, trust me its not that big a thing. As a DM and player, I'd rather have that just knights have been around and we're just now encountering them. Besides, unless you drop a pair of clashing knight armies a few thousand strong into a new setting, they won't make much of an impact on the current world.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:22 pm  

Well, actually I was going to research the numbers of each of the forces and drag the entire battle into Greyhawk along with the main NPC's etc etc.

Thanks for the Midnight link. From what I read, looks pretty nice, I had thought this was a Greyhawk campaign. SO this is an independent campaign world? Might be interesting to read on it, not sure how I can use any of it for Greyhawk but who knows.

thanks.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:31 pm  

also decided to change over to the name I currently use online, havent used Damaja in years so Damaja be me ;)
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:34 pm  

Like I say, its easier and most players get more out of things if you adapt thematic elements into the setting. Take Greyhawk; make the two kngiht armies already existing forces like the knights of holy shielding and Iuz's Boneheart, or replace Iuz with Takhisis/Tiamat. Use the Midnight storyline for Iuz, Takhisis/Tiamat, or even Ivid in the newly strong Great Kingdom. Adapt what you like, and leave out what you don't.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:37 am  

How long have your players been adventuring?

It matters if they have been around for a while and are the type that care about the story of the game world rather then acquiring stuff and killing things; it can feel like a cop out to wholsale import things.

Most of the time they want to get rid of the thing; happened with LG tehna with etheral invasion - people played all that time; get into the region - villians - plot and then one day - everything just arbitarily changes - player reaction is usually; Come On; Kidding Right? - NO - Fine I'll play; I attack everything in sight - It doesn't matter anyway.

Your plot sounds really good; something like if the Great Northern Crusade failed or if Rauxes didn't collapse. But why waste the goodwill built up; remold the themes and provide GH rationales.

Iuz (gotta love him); loves on a whim, creating new forces; since his empire is goung so well; he is in a good mood. Creates an order of knights to celebrate; if you enjoy doing things - even create dress and heraldry for them. Dragon theme; perhaps Iuz has been in contact with Tiamat bring in abyssal politics and what does tiamat get out of the agreement?

Since no glorious reclaimation of the Shield lands has happened perhaps the exiled shield land knights are getting bitter and resentful; perfect rationale for a darker more bloodthirsty ethos to take hold. Or even a rogue branch of Shield land knights who feel all means must be taken for the "greater good". They could be open or secret; could be opposed or even covertly encouraged (denability - Furyondy - rengendes we can't stop them but leadership hopes the "renegades" ignite a Furyondy/Iuz war. Lots of good stuff to exploit.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 pm  

hmmmm ..... you have a point.

let us say - The Great Kingdom has decided to go on the offensive once again. They have taken territory and have stopped for a time to solidify there hold on these new lands. Several months later or maybe even a year later the Great Kingdom has rebuilt its armies and are on the move again.

hmmm what new dimension could I add to there army? .....

Lets say there was a new Knighthood formed, in my campaign I never played the Great Kingdom as bloody evil bastards, I always played them .... well, sorta maybe kinda like the Knights of Takhisis I suppose. They always fought with honor, not killing civilians etc so maybe I could just use Great Kingdom and formed the Knighthood and I could insert the style of evil knights like I wanted to do. hmmm Dragon Mounts also maybe? Inserting Dragon lords into all this prolly will not be hard.

The Knights of the Shield (as I call them since there not protecting there lands anymore) could be done like the good knights I wanted to insert, Seeing as how all hope for retaking the SHields Lands (in my kingdom) is lost, maybe they decide to move south with there remaining population and build a new nation in a part of the lands that was over run by humanoids, say they move in, conquer what they need and repopulate it or some such thing.

and ... you are correct. It would prolly be better to just change my own world in my own small ways to get what I want for my campaign instead of adding other worlds.

BUT

I did have a friend who ran his own Greyhawk campaign have Hellgate Keep from Forgotten Realms vanish from the realms and mystically appear in the World of Greyhawk. In the end he had a Death Knight as the big boss for it who rallied undead to form an army etc etc ... was pretty neat.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: