JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - rules question: Smash / Multiple Attacks
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Basic D&D
    rules question: Smash / Multiple Attacks
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:14 pm  
    rules question: Smash / Multiple Attacks

I have the Companion Set, where name level fighters are given the ability to make a Smash attack.

Smash attack gives additional damage bonus equal to strength score, at a cost of -5 to hit and automatic loss of initiative (smash attack resolved last in round).

I DON'T have the Cyclopedia, where Weapon Mastery rules allow multiple attacks per round.

Question: How do these interact?
    Can a smash attack be used multiple times a round?
    If so, do all smash attacks get resolved last in the round?

Thanks,

Kirt
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:17 pm  

I guess I will go with "Mr. Reaper's" effort to de-bug the Cyclopedia, available at: http://web.newsguy.com/a_doom/RCerrata/files/RulesCyclopediaErrata&Companion_v30.html

"Smash
    -----

I agree with the Unofficial Errata; when this move is performed, the character's Weapon
    Mastery should be counted as no higher than Basic level, since this is a brute force attack.
    I also really recommend that whenever a character is employing the Smash maneuver, it must
    be his only attack for the round; he must give up all multiple attacks including any
    additional off-hand attacks.
    And take note that the Strength score is added on as bonus damage on top of the base damage
    for the weapon; such bonus damage is never multiplied because of effects that cause double
    damage (on page 105, steps 7 and 8 in the Attack Roll Checklist clearly state this)."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:17 pm  

I think chatdemon and darva both abandoned this forum Sad

I, although BX is not my first choice of editions, would have to say at first glance that the two systems are not meant to work together, since the rule cyclopedia did cover the boxed sets the other stuff came from, and included the parts the designer/editor wanted included, we can only assume.

If you come up with a homebrew conversion of the special maneuvers to the mastery system tho, be sure and share with the rest of the class Laughing
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:07 pm  
    Weapon Master from Later Boxed Sets

My answser in my campaign after trying them, was to not use Weapon Mastery. I believe it was listed as optional. My players didn't have a problem ignoring it after we tried it. To get to that level where it matters, the fighters are already so bad-**** that Weapon Master on top of it seemed silly. As I recall, it was so silly that the players were laughing at how powerful they were with it.

No, I didn't run the later boxed set editions of D&D in Greyhawk but with the ability scores more similiar to OD&D than AD&D, I would think the same concept applies to anyone thinking of using (BXCM)D&D weapon mastering in OD&D.
    Novice

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:31 am  

B2 is the first module I ever played and I still tend to go back to it for the start of any Oerth campagin I try to run, I have also used Palace of the silver princess but nothing quite holds up to the keep on the borderlands.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: