JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition
    Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:00 am  
    Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

I have a group that has never seen this module - which is a rare and good thing. I intend to run it, but I wonder, what kind of run up can I do to get the PCs up from level 1 to about 3 or 4 (which after converting a few encounters, I find I am going to need to do)

Goblinoid and Gnoll raids are obvious, but what kind of clues can I put in to point the party at Hommlet?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:23 am  

i think it depends on the party members.

my group had a gnome mage , who had family in verbobonc.

from there, they talk about strange things happening in hommlet (im DMing t1-t4, not the return one)

maybe of you tell us some background, help would come easier Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:16 am  

Fair enough Smile

I have a dwaven swordmage who has not figured out exactly where she is from. I have a gnome illusionist from Verbobonc, two halflings (one rogue, one warlord) from a caravan that travels the area around Verbobonc, a dragonborn from the mountains north of the Celestial Empire, and an elven warlock from Celene.

Yes, I know I have ways to "tell" them, but I am more looking for adventure ideas to "show" them. I am running an intro adventure called Second Son. Its a basic little plot, and won't get them to 1st level by itself. In it a hero is presumed dead in a dungeon, and the party has to go get him out. Let's just say that dead is perhaps an overstatement, and that's only the first bit of betrayal. It includes a shadar-kai chain fighter that I changed to a tiefling in service to the temple. It also includes human bandits and hobgoblin bandits as well.

What is the symbol of the ToEE? I want to include it on the bodies of dead enemies.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:39 am  

i may be wrong, but i think the symbol is the flaming eye, as we can see int the cover of village of hommlet (at he great TSR ARchive!)
    http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/t1-alt.htm

maybe they could kill a enemy in this adventure of yours, and find some notes, like plans, that lead them to hommlet.

hommlet is kind of famous for adventures coming and going
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:06 pm  

Play up Tobuk (sp?) and the River Rats raiding along the river and the PCs encountered a handful of raiders. It nudged them toward Nulb. (My players hate Tobuk more than any other NPC in the adventure.)

Magical items left over from Emridy Meadows still litter the land about. Burne may have them track one down, giving a glimpse at the Elemental Evil.

The humanoids in the moathouse and temple came from somewhere. Raiders could be based out of some other lair with clues back to those in the moathouse and temple.

Outlying herders are finding their cattle slaughtered and sacrificed to horrid evils in the fields, complete with horrendous symbols. PCs need to ambush the next sacrificial raid.

Some villagers may be secretly worshiping one of the Elemental Evil factions. PCs must stop the vile worship.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:40 am  

Quote:
    Play up Tobuk (sp?) and the River Rats raiding along the river and the PCs encountered a handful of raiders. It nudged them toward Nulb. (My players hate Tobuk more than any other NPC in the adventure.)

Hmm, good to note. I'll be honest I've only started reading the adventure. I've played it before, but my DM heavily modified it for his campaign, including dropping certain elements whole cloth. Our ranger ended up befriending the grey render, etc. Of course, then towards the end most of the setting ended up being an illusion that thought it was real - yeah, he had a seriously messed up campaign.

How far back does the worship of the EE go back? Is it a fairly new development? an old idea used again, or what? I understand its a front, but I could see it having been used before.

Of course I intend for this to last slightly further than the level expectations of 3E, I'm scripting the adventures (based on what the adventurers choose) to get as close to 20 as I can, if not beyond. Then I can consider the epic levels. One thing I've found particularly liberating is to not have the PCs worry about levels. At the end of an adventure or adventure arc I tell them to level up. Previously I have messed with my encounters so as to include enough XP for them to level, but I don't worry about that kind of record keeping at the table - it keeps the illusion a bit better.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: