ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New CANONFIRE! Website Theme Feedback
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    New CANONFIRE! Website Theme Feedback
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:23 am  
    New CANONFIRE! Website Theme Feedback

Hello all!

You may have noticed some changes lately. We are trying out a new "83' Boxed Set" styled theme for the site. It will be implemented piecemeal over the next week or so, and much will still be changing.

We are also reorganizing the Articles section of the site(to begin with). This will NOT affect any submitted articles that have yet to be posted, nor should it affect any of the other already published Articles.

Everything on the site should be working as it was prior to the implementation of the new theme graphics, but we'd like people to report on anything on the site that isn't working properly.

Thanks.

---The CANONFIRE! Staff

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:52 pm  

Non-hyperlink text doesn't display in Firefox 3.0.1 in the left-nav: so, for example, all I see under Who's Online at the moment is "25" for my PM count....

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:16 pm  

Hey, that was quick :D

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:34 pm  

I am having the same problem (using AOL as my browser).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:52 am  

Comments on articles are STILL disabled. You guys have been told how to correct this, without reallowing spam attacks, at least twice.

We were told the new theme (which is ugly by 1997 standards, and completely atrocious by 2008 standards) would be optional. It's not.

Please publish the site's traffic data that supports your assertion that a simple ugly redesign of the site's graphical elements has attracted new traffic.

For those, most of you I'll assume, who missed the conversation, let me repost the proposed site revision agenda drawn up by chatdemon (Rich, ratlord, whatever :P ) in april or may of this year, shared with Gary Holian at that time, then shared with the users on Greytalk chat a month or two later. Keep in mind, this has been ignored in favor of a silly graphical makeover.

chatdemon wrote:

Canonfire Goals

Restoration and updating of GreyTalk archive, integrated into CF's search function

Improvement of Search functionality, possibly implementing a google widget

Reimplementation of Phorum software to complement GreyTalk list, including implementation of robust RSS options and forum or email access to posting and reading of the discussions

Development of php/irc scripts for reporting real time and archival chat statistics onsite

Hosting of Codex of Greyhawk article archive, integrated into CF's search function

Discussion with WotC about hosting a perpetual archive of LG scenarios and documents

Initiating a dialog with LG players to offer them forum space and material hosting to perpetuate the campaign after WotC discontinues support

Aggressive development of a “GH 4e” area on the site, with possible attempt to win favored or semi-official fansite status from WotC

Development of forum and material sections dedicated to the GH related products from companies including Pied Piper, Paizo and Troll Lord, with attempt to win endorsement from those companies as favored/semi-official fan sites

Development of CF branded merchandise store (cafepress or the like) to generate income to offset costs

Development of affiliate type rpg books/materials shop on CF, to generate income to offset costs and better serve as a one stop site for all gaming needs

Development of exclusive, pdf format adventures and source material for downloads

Discussion with Denis (Maldin) about implementation of a more robust GH website ring and archive of links to other websites, establishing CF as the definative GH portal site

Reworking of the article index into more intuitive categories

Improvement of the user journals functionality for use as proper blogs

Offer hosting of GH related discussion lists, integrated with Phorum software to provide archival and robust RSS options

Develop full integration of user accounts across the site, forum, wiki and chat

Develop and/or implement php/irc scripts to automate user registration in chat when registration is performed on the site

Reorganization and definition of Administrative tasks

Aggressive promotion of postfest type activities, with prizes for participation

Pursue better editorial processing of submitted articles for spelling, grammar and readability aspects, retroactive to polish existing articles as well

Pursue better keywording of submitted articles to improve search results, on site and via search engines, retroactive to include existing articles as well

Development of banners and buttons in various standard formats to encourage users to promote CF on their websites and blogs

Possible development of CF themed podcast or video blog

Aggressive encouragement of CF admin staff to maintain blogs on the site to keep users up to date on current projects and future plans

Recruitment and implementation of timely rpg industry news feature

Redesign of the product reviews section to function as a complete GH materials catalog, with reviews and links to websites where materials may be purchased used or in pdf formats

Elimination or redesign of the downloads section to function more as standard website pages, for search functionality

Implementation of PHPnuke/PHPBBs user karma system to automate access and restrict spammers

Aggressively solicit contribution of material from now defunct or abandoned sites and services to create a definitive archive of GH fan material

Aggressively solicit existing GH sites and services for hosting or mirroring on CF

Expand forum and discussion lists to include more general D&D and gaming discussions, separate from and secondary in focus to GH discussions, but to open the site to users less attached to GH as a setting

Create and maintain a #canonfire irc chat alongside #greytalk for real time help and feedback

Encourage development of affiliated chat channels, such as irc game channels, to be promoted on CF

Explore creating and maintaining a dedicated exclusive chat server (irc.canonfire.com)

Creation and development of a new CF endorsed ezine specifically dedicated to GH in the current D&D format

Refocus or replace OJ as the CF endorsed general GH ezine for other editions/games.

Restoration and improvement of article comment functionality

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:42 pm  

I have a suggestion about the background...instead of black, how about a darker grey color instead (by darker I mean a fairly dark shade of grey--slate perhaps, not darker then the current black color... which would be difficult to accomplish)... it would be easier on the eyes when contrasted with the gold edgings, and would help reinfoce the GREYhawk theme.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:10 am  

The graphics currently on the site are test images. I would have preferred that they not be put up until the theme was complete, that being an "83' Boxed Set" theme. Yes, it is meant to look retro, and no, there should not be a black background. It should be brown leather, embossed and recessed in some areas. And no, nobody lied when they said there would be multiple themes. It is intended that there be 4-6 themes to choose from, but the light and dark generic themes have simply not been implemented yet. Gary is in charge of that stuff, so ask him about it via e-mail or PM through Canonfire! rather than on GREYtalk, as he checks those messages more often(I think). I’ll bug Gary about getting the generic themes put in place too. I'd prefer that they would be available, and that the current in-progress theme be side-lined until fully developed and then inserted as an option. In the mean time, please excuse us if real life intrudes upon what we'd like to do(and in how timely a manner we do it).

Despotrix incorrectly states that nobody listens to advice from past admins/site developers, or anyone for that matter. This is obviously flat out untrue(what thread are you reading right now?). Maybe she is upset that she herself was not purposely sought out and asked her opinion before anything was changed. I don't know. Well, here's your(Despotrix) chance to be constructive and offer up some ideas. I know you have some experience in these things, so put forth your own ideas for everyone to comment on. The floor is open to everyone here. That we actually open threads to garner feedback on *ANYTHING* from *ANYONE* is not quite the thing that a bunch of close-minded people who are not open to suggestions would do, don't you think? I myself and others have spent more than a few hours chatting with Rich "Chatdemon/Ratlord" about ideas for the site, including his list of ideas just posted by Despotrix. We'd already come up with many of those ideas ourselves before he offered up his list(he then asked to see my rudimentary list, which I showed him). Rich's list is pretty dang good though if you ask me, and accomplishing just half of it would be a vast improvement to the site. For me, a bit more organization is the most important thing. Messing with the "83' Boxed Set" theme is just for the fun of it.

Comments have not been added back to articles as there is a forum to discuss articles. I'm not sure if that will stay as it is or if comments will come back, but I think the prevailing opinion is that it is better to encourage *discussion* of articles more so than *just comments* on them.

Also, people can always PM me with questions and suggestions regarding anything. As there is a forum thread for suggestions too, and as many people often wonder about the same things, you might as well post them here because then the entire community can then see the questions and the answers.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:43 am  

the new test theme makes it so that a bunch of my "black box to the side" material doens't display.. out of

Welcome cwslyclgh!

You have 0 PM(s)

Access Your Account
    Submit Article
    [Logout]

22 guest(s) and 10 member(s) are online.

only You have 0 PM(s) displayes properly

out of

Join the oldest World of Greyhawk mail list here.

Search the GT Archives!
    The archives are down.

only the links display

same with the greyhchat box

in the last seen I can read the usernames, but not how long ago they were on...
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:48 am  

wow that was fast.... you guys fixed in between the time I amde the previous post on this thread, and another post on the readers workshop board... Shocked
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.32 Seconds