JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Needfest Postfest
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Needfest Postfest
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:34 am  
    Needfest Postfest

I know the Brewfest Postfest has not even been published yet, but the next one starts in only a month and a half. Now is as good as any time to start tossing in ideas for consideration.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:23 pm  

Happy Hamlets....villages.... small "pit stops" for the adventuring party to wet the whistle and a dry, warm place to sleep, maybe even get that particular cure that one might need at that monastery of devoted monks to St Cuthbert or Pelor or visit that secluded Temple of WeeJas...maybe pick up a few lessons on anatomy from the multitude of cadavers given by the faithful (increase ones Heal check ability?), go ahead, spend a night...hehehehe Laughing

Places that are short and sweet and can be dropped into any campaign setting... how’s this for an idea for the next Needfest Postfest? Smile

I will try and submit at least Wink one “pit-stop”....

Cheers

AncientGamer Cool aka BusterBudd
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:55 pm  

I like the idea but I have some concern over this part:

BusterBudd wrote:
    Places that ... can be dropped into any campaign setting

Places that can be dropped into Krynn??? Perhaps if it they included essential Greyhawk elements like the gods you mentioned.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 pm  

Bugger! I totally forgot about the Brewfest Postfest. Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:44 pm  

Ah.... Embarassed Wolfsire, apologies, I should have been more specific, when I said campaign setting, I mean any "Greyhawk" campaign setting, such as can be dropped into any one of anybody's Greyhawk games, which as you mentioned, could be more identified by having elements of Greyhawkian in its make-up, though I would try to encourage it to stay away from anything that could be specific to a time/era.

Good a place as any to put up that pub and/or shop I was thinking about placing in Maldin's Irongate... unless Maldin still, after all these years Wink , wishes this kept seperate. Smile

AncientGamer Cool
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:14 am  

Nearly all of the subumissions for the current Postfest are ironed out now and I'll see about getting them posted. We'll also be getting a more prominent annoucnement set up for them too.

As to forthcoming Postfest topics keep throwing out ideas for it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 pm  

More Places of Mystery, or adding a little more detail (e.g. reports of lost expeditions and recovered logs, details of an entrance room or two, relevant NPC, etc.) to existing Places of Mystery.

-- OR --

Inns. It seems like every adventure to a distant region involves AT LEAST one visit to some randomly-named, low-detailed, impromtu inn where the party needs to bed down for the night. Dragon used to have a running column detailing various inns of the Forgotten Realms. Greyhawk could use a few ready-made inns.

Don
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:30 pm  

Inns are good, and portable, but not necessarily so. My favorite is THE HOUSE OF ABRAHAM.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:16 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    Inns are good, and portable, but not necessarily so. My favorite is THE HOUSE OF ABRAHAM.

If this http://surbrook.devermore.net/superpics/machines/house.html is what you are referring to, I whole-heartedly agree! Smile

Don
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 am  

Laughing Not quite, but that would seem to qualify. For the record, I was referring to the Inn in the module L2 Assassins Knot.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:51 am  

How about detailing a unique province, town, barony, county, duchy, etc., in whichever nation you game. Maldin's site comes to mind as a great example of this (located here: http://melkot.com/locations/melkot/melkot-loc.html.

No one would expect such detail from a submission, but maybe (if we beg) we could get one of our cartographers to offer a prize. The one voted best could be mapped?

I dont know which cartographers are left , other than Anna, but it could make a cool final product.
    GreySage

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:20 am  

Anced Math! I'm game! Happy

I have a couple of well developed Taverns/Inns I'm going to be submitting. (Thanks to BusterBudd's suggestion Cool )

I also have a "half" developed location. I'll get to work and finish it up. But DO NOT interrupt Anna! For heaven's sake! She'll never get the Flanaess finished! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Love your work Anna! Happy Darn! But I need to learn how to do that! Embarassed Wink

Just sitting here thinking. Happy

Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:08 pm  

I think that a return to places of mystery, a detailed inn or tavern, or a detailed province, town, barony, county, duchy etc. would all be fine ideas for a postfest.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:26 pm  

While AncedMath's idea is great, it might be a bit involved for many who would like to do a submission for Postfest. Keep in mind that Maldin(a.k.a. Dennis) didn't do all of the Melkot page content in 12 weeks(unless he was snowed in, alone, up there in the Great White North with a total Greyhawk wild hare at the time.). Laughing

So, I'd recommend something a bit more manageable and on the smaller side. A good sized submission for Postfest would be 1-4 pages of material. Anything more would be better suited for a standard article submission or for The Oerth Journal.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:06 am  

Hey all,

I would never expect anyone to do a fraction of what Melkot is for postfest. I dont think it would be possible. However, an article length description of the County of Blinth, in whatever nation, with a brief description of two or three towns and a NPC or two might be just feasible.

The reason I like this is that it gives other DMs a chance to incorporate the style of others into their campaign in the generic places. Every DM has Places of Mystery, and they are always fantastical, mysterious places.

However, my taverns, towns and counties probably seem pretty similar for some of my gamers, who have been playing with me for nearly 10 years. That is good for the tavern down the street from their house, but not for the one across the map.

Just my thoughts.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:07 pm  

Taverns and inns tend to become generic over time; used so often some players tend to pick up on the same traits.

A postfest offering some diverse ideas about inns and taverns sounds good to me Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:25 am  

I like the idea of taverns and inns too. But Busterbudd's idea of pit stops, portable or fixed is also good. I'll toss in the idea that there be one or two postfests to cover these 1- Pit Stops: Taverns and Temples or 2 Pits Stops I: Taverns and Inns and Pit Stops II: Temples and Churches.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:38 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    1- Pit Stops: Taverns and Temples or 2 Pits Stops I: Taverns and Inns and Pit Stops II: Temples and Churches.

Better and better! I like it! Happy Cool

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:52 am  

ttt

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:18 pm  

I quite like the idea of Inns and Taverns, kind of like a "Traveler's Guide to the Best (or most notorious for those who are more adventuresome) Inns and Taverns in the Flanaess."
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: