Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Which 3rd party D20 material suits your Greyhawk game best?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Which 3rd party D20 material suits your Greyhawk game best?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 pm  
    Which 3rd party D20 material suits your Greyhawk game best?

I personally wanted to pick your brains on this one only because I love the freedom of the d20 system. This is what I use and some stuff is actually flying buffalo's catalyst material. So not all has to be d20.
    I like adding things to my D&D. I just don't like subtracting from it.

Gary Gygax: Cosmos Builder (Volume VII of Gygaxian Worlds series; this is helpful for customizing an existing cosmology or adding new material)

Tome of Horrors (volumes I-III) by Necromancer Games

Green Ronin Press Fang and Fury (Vampire sourcebook)

Bastion Press Faerie d20 sourcebook

Flying Buffalo Catalyst line: Citybook volumes 1-7

Palladium Books: Compendium of Weapons, Armor and Castles (for a little historical flair)

Fantasy Flight Games: Midnight (d20 setting book, possibly use as an alternate material plane)

Chaositech by Monte Cook

Arcana Evolved by Monte Cook (Diamond Throne as another possible alternate world or use the alternate races and classes for GH)

EverQuest D20 (I like the MMO so I had to buy the books, debating if any of the material is suited for GH characters, again possibly a alternate material plane.)

Question

So anyway, this topic was more of a curiosity topic if anything. I realize some of this material probably is more suited for another setting or like I stated a alternate material plane.

I am sure I left out a few things I own but that is the bulk. Most of what I own is actually WotC material for core 3.5 D&D.

Jim
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:29 am  

Mostly I stick with the Necromancer Games material. Particularly their adventures and the Tome of Horrors. Main items include:
    Rappan Athuk: The Dungeon of Graves I, II, and III
    Tome of Horrors
    City State of the Invincible Overlord
    The Crucible of Freya
    The Tomb of Abysthor
    Hall of the Rainbow Mage
    Necropolis

Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:18 am  

Hey! I like Christopher Perkins's take of D&D3 found here.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:59 am  

MichaelSandar wrote:

The Crucible of Freya
    The Tomb of Abysthor

I'm a big fan of Necromancer Games as well & these two modules in particular. I'm also partial to the Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics line.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:05 am  

I used to be a big fan of Mongoose's Ultimate series (feats, prest classes, etc), but anymore I use Expeditious Retreat's Magical Medieval Europe and AEG's Mercenaries, and the entire Slayer's Guide lines. You want to make your trolls EXTRA scary? read the Slayer's guide to Trolls. Its NARSTY, not just nasty. Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:58 pm  

Yeah I am a big fan of the DCC too. I like the old episodic style of play, or modules that have a loose connection but can stand alone. The ol' Plug n' Chug, Shoot n' Loot style is fun once in a while. Laughing

Anyone here use Castles and Crusades stuff? I hear that its alot like 1st edition style?

Jim
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:04 pm  

Sorry Laughing Gallis posted above with my answer Laughing Its been a long work day Laughing

Jim
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:54 am  

Hmm stuff I have used in my campaigns..

I agree with the Necromancer Games stuff I really like the tome of horrors monster manuals.

Crucible of Freya is one of my favorite modules to run.

I really liked Lost City of Barakus

The Mother Of All Encounter Tables made me rethink my encounters and I got some good idea's from it.

One fun thing I picked up was "Tournaments, Fairs and Taverns" put out by...Natural 20 Press?. Has some guidelines for running fairs, tournaments or tavern games.. Want to joust? it has rules for that. Want to play "wrestle the greased pig?" its got that covered to. Only the truly brave would play "Crazy Ernie's Bear Wrasslin For Crazy Folk." but if you want to try it hey there's some rules for it Smile . Seriously I would never have thought of some of this stuff.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:33 pm  

Soft-Paws wrote:
    Sorry Laughing Gallis posted above with my answer Laughing Its been a long work day Laughing

Well, Jim, I do not possess the C&C rulebooks, but I know a little about them.

And Christopher Perkins's rulebooks, which take a lot from C&C, are more simpler than C&C rules, which are simple yet. That's my opinion.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:14 pm  

Well Gallis I will have to take a looksie at those. I didn't realize Chris Perkins had it in him. Laughing Sometimes these guys will surprise you.

Jim
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:27 am  

Soft-Paws wrote:
    Well Gallis I will have to take a looksie at those. I didn't realize Chris Perkins had it in him. Laughing Sometimes these guys will surprise you.

Indeed, this is a very good surprise.

C.Perkins simplifies the C&C basic rule with one challenge rating of 15, instead of 12 and 18 for C&C, and gives +5 bons for primary ability scores. I found it so elegant.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: