Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Damn you Columbus!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    Damn you Columbus!
    Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:52 am  
    Damn you Columbus!

I was set to get alot of errands done today and everything is CLOSED! And what's worse, monday is my normal day off. Why do all the holidays seem to fall on my days off? And don't get me started on Columbus as a national holiday. Celebrating him is like celebrating Castro but worse. Guh!

Happy Leif Ericson Day!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:39 pm  
    Re: Damn you Columbus!

mortellan wrote:
    And don't get me started on Columbus as a national holiday. Celebrating him is like celebrating Castro but worse.

Um, huh? Question Question Question
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:46 am  

All hail Columbus! They don't get any more gutsy than him, no matter what revisionist historians say!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:17 am  

ratlord wrote:
    mortellan wrote:
    And don't get me started on Columbus as a national holiday. Celebrating him is like celebrating Castro but worse.

Um, huh? Question Question Question

I think that mortellan is referring to the idea that Columbus's biggest contribution was not that he actually discovered anything but rather opened up an age of expansionist conquest that enslaved almost the entirety of the Western hemisphere to the Spaniards, wherein their native cultures were dominated ad well as co-opted the local religions and replaced them with Catholicism that justified their ethnocentric policies.

Castro is a clumsy figure to server as a comparison though.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 pm  

I totally agree. I went to the bank today. I left with frustration and no money. Columbus day... GAH! *shakes old-man fist at Columbus Day*

-O

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:31 pm  

I went to the local beer store last night at 7:30 and the Chakyik gentleman who runs it was closing up.

"What's the deal? You guys close at 8." I said.

He replied, "Tonight my friend is the night that the Great Heavenly Wolf roams the wide steppes hunting and killing ghostly elk in celebration of the birth of his grandson, the great Khan Tang the Horrific."

"Wait, we don't live anywhere near a steppe!" I protested, but he was already gone. So the only thing I could do was shake my fist at the darkening vault of heaven and shout to the sky, "Damn you, Tang the Horrific! How am I supposed to get my ale on in time for Greytalk?!"
    GreySage

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:54 am  

manus-nigrum wrote:
    I think that mortellan is referring to the idea that Columbus's biggest contribution was not that he actually discovered anything but rather opened up an age of expansionist conquest that enslaved almost the entirety of the Western hemisphere to the Spaniards, wherein their native cultures were dominated ad well as co-opted the local religions and replaced them with Catholicism that justified their ethnocentric policies.

Anyone here ever heard of the Romans? The Persians? The Huns? Any of the other (hyperbole) "3,482 peoples" that conquered and enslaved other "peoples" throughout the world's history? Confused

Columbus and the Spaniards were/are something new? Shocked Not hardly.

In point of fact, the first to do so was Nimrod. Yep, him of "Tower of Babel" fame. The text and wording of the original language helps us to appreciate that Nimrod's favorite sport was taking captive people (sound familiar?) and hunting them. Shocked

Yep! Was not invented by Hollywood good people, in spite of "Reality TV." Nimrod hunted them with a bow and killed them when he found them. Just as though they were animals. Shocked

Modern revisionists are only interested in America bashing and "white men" bashing, as though America (a.k.a. United States) and the "white man" invented all that horrible nonsense. Mad

The entire argument grows wearisome. Leave Columbus alone already. The man's dead. That means he's paid for any crimes he may have committed. We should be so lucky. Sad

Columbus did not "discover" the continents of North or South America, he "discovered" the Caribbean Islands. Yet revisionists would lay the blame for all the atrosities of two continents at his feet. Sad

As a newly self-proclaimed "revisionist," I condemn Alfred Bernhard Nobel! I blame him and lay at his feet all the deaths and murders that may be directly attributed to his invention of dynamite (1867) and smokeless gunpowder (1889). And I damn and blame him for Global Warming due to his blatant exploitation of the Baku oilfields, thus amassing an enormous fortune -- in his lifetime -- from the back-breaking labor of the underpaid and undernourished people -- the poor and unfortunate peasants -- who were denied a decent wage and health benefits for their labor! And I curse all those responsible for having the audacity of naming a Peace Prize after such a criminal! Happy (Baku, capital of Azerbaijan, on the Caspian Sea)

Shall I go on? Confused

To hell with revisionists and any other people who wish to blame America and the "white man" for their problems.

I am a white man and I never once held a gun to some minority person's head and told them to drop out of school.

We each suffer from problems that are of our own making. Stop blaming others for your problems. You'll be happier.

I gladly accept fault for my own problems. But not for yours.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:41 am  

Mystic Scholar said; Shall I go on? Confused

Oh, go on. You know you want to. Laughing
    Master Greytalker

Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Anyone here ever heard of the Romans? The Persians? The Huns? Any of the other (hyperbole) "3,482 peoples" that conquered and enslaved other "peoples" throughout the world's history? Confused

Columbus and the Spaniards were/are something new? Shocked Not hardly.

No, Columbus and the Spaniards were not anything new. I believe what mortellon was referring to is that none of the others mentioned (Romans, Persians, Huns, Nimrod...) have a national federal holiday celebrating them. Although Nimrod Day does have a nice ring.

If you think Columbus should be celebrated, perhaps you could explain why? "Not being worse then any other murderers" is not often used as an argument for celebrating someone's achievements at a national level, so it would be interesting to hear your defense.

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    To hell with revisionists and any other people who wish to blame America and the "white man" for their problems.

As long as we are talking about revisionist history, it might be worth noting that the original point of Columbus Day was that it was celebrating a minority in a time when Italians and other Catholics were not white. The holiday, along with St. Patrick's Day, were invented by the Democratic Machine to curry favor with immigrants and expand their power base in northern cities at a time when Italians and Irish were not white.

I hope I am not the only one who appreciates the irony that now, a hundred years later, Italians and Irish have somehow become white and Columbus Day is usually attacked by the people who started it (minorities and Democrats) and defended by the very people who originally opposed it (whites and Republicans).

Kirt
    Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:03 pm  

What Kirt said, plus Columbus is the only foreigner AFAIK for whom Americans have a holiday devoted to. Even Lincoln and Washington's birthdays have been lumped together. On the topic of the fabricated ethnic holidays, I find it equaly absurd that Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo. And no I don't celebrate St Patrick's Day as Americans usually don't need a reason to go out drinking even more.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:29 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    What Kirt said, plus Columbus is the only foreigner AFAIK for whom Americans have a holiday devoted to.

Uhh...Christmas? Although I suppose the infant Jesus could have been American. Certainly in the baby pictures He is usually white with blue eyes and blond hair. I think He didn't become a mediterranean-complexioned Jew until He grew up.

Kirt
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 pm  

Kirt wrote:
    mortellan wrote:
    What Kirt said, plus Columbus is the only foreigner AFAIK for whom Americans have a holiday devoted to.

Uhh...Christmas? Although I suppose the infant Jesus could have been American. Certainly in the baby pictures He is usually white with blue eyes and blond hair. I think He didn't become a mediterranean-complexioned Jew until He grew up.

Kirt

Come on. We all know that Jesus was an Oeridian. Smile
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:09 am  

It's all ethnic pandering(regardlesss of the ethnic group). Politicians and marketers have been doing it since the beginning of time.

They know their audience well(usually). Wink

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:12 pm  

A week before Christmas and Columbus Day is still a touchy subject around here?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:17 am  

Apparently so. People will vent, and that's fine here in The Backalley(within reason). The title and description of this forum is after all

The Backalley
    Off topic discussions. Be nice.

(Everyone ought to note that last bit.Wink)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:32 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    ...On the topic of the fabricated ethnic holidays, I find it equaly absurd that Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo...

-The Mexican victory at the Battle of Puebla guaranteed that the French would stay out of the Civil War.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:36 am  

The same French that aided us in the Revolutionary War? Man even back then the U.S. was plotting regime change against former allies. Razz
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:25 am  

Everybody knows the only reason Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day are celebrated by most Americans is because they are a good excuse to get drunk and act the fool. If the French made anything alcoholic most Americans wanted to drink, we'd all be getting loaded on Bastille Day.

Now go out and have a happy Feastday of St. Gondolphus. Smile
    GreySage

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:32 am  

Long live Smillian! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Everybody knows the only reason Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day are celebrated by most Americans is because they are a good excuse to get drunk and act the fool. If the French made anything alcoholic most Americans wanted to drink, we'd all be getting loaded on Bastille Day...

...I still like my excuse:

jamesdglick wrote:
    The Mexican victory at the Battle of Puebla guaranteed that the French would stay out of the Civil War.

Laughing Razz
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:56 pm  

Kirt wrote:
    [ I believe what mortellon was referring to is that none of the others mentioned (Romans, Persians, Huns, Nimrod...) have a national federal holiday celebrating them.

In the case of the romans, why bother? The names of our days and months are tribute enough Happy

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:49 am  

And yet the banks remain open on Talk Like a Pirate Day. No respect. No respect at all.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:18 am  

Aeolius wrote:
    And yet the banks remain open on Talk Like a Pirate Day. No respect. No respect at all.

I know... and they don't even give your withdrawals in doubloons, they still insist on that stupid paper stuff.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:44 am  
    Oh, those darned festivals ..

Well, I have to say that celebrating other nation's independence isn't ususally my stlye (and trust me, in South Texas you're weird if you don't celebrate cinco de Mayo) ....

I do hate it when banks close on the most arbitrary of holidays. Sometimes little state holidays that no one even knows!! UGH!!

But, I would kind of like to point out - democrats and minorities had nothing to do with the "invention" of St. Patrick's Day. Some of you may not have heard of this, but there's this strange group of people that call themselves "catholic", and they've had this funny thing they like to call "the Festival of Saint Patrick" that they've been celebrating for, oh, something like centuries before America existed. Shocked Oh, and the same about this other fella's party called "Saint Valentine's Day". Smile

I'm sure that you can all read the lighthearted smile that's in my voice when I wrote all that. Happy
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: