Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A PLOT LINE (*NOT* for MikelAmroni!!!)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A PLOT LINE (*NOT* for MikelAmroni!!!)
    Master Greytalker

Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:45 pm  
    A PLOT LINE (*NOT* for MikelAmroni!!!)

[/b]FIRST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MIKELAMRONI - STAY THE H@** OFF THIS THREAD. IT IS NOT FOR YOU!!! IF I FIND OUT YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING HERE< I WILL KILL YOUR CHARACTER

Now that we have that little problem solved, I would like to discuss the Princes of Elemental Evil. Specifically, my players have found and use a SHIP OF EARTH AND SEA, in the Mud Sorceres Tomb. These were created by archomentals, Uzrith of Earth and Alyolvoy of Water and have the ability to move on the earth and underwater as well as on the surface of the sea.. Both of them consider themselves "Princes." The two are fierce rivals of one another.

What if any relation is there to the Elemental Evil of ToEE? I have read the ToEE, but it has been 15 years.

Also, any suggestions on how to use these guys as villains would be greatly appreciated. I like to hear others ideas. It keeps my game from getting stale.

We play in Gran March, the players are 15th to 17th level, and have only recently turned their eyes towards Geoff.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:33 pm  

there is no real relation to the elemental evil of the TOEE, the elemental evil of the "Temple of Elemental Evil" was just a cover for a scheme that Zuggy, the demon lady of fungus, and Iuz cooked up... it had nothing all that much to do with "elemental evil" it was just sort of smoke and mirrors.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm  

My TOEE knowledge is rusty but it still doesn't explain to me why there were elemental nodes in there. Were the occupants actually in tune with the elemental evil despite the Zuggt-Iuz cover story?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:10 pm  

not sure really, they always felt sort of tacked on to make it more "elementaly" to me... although they were filled with a lot of evil elemental critters, I am unsure they were connected in anyway with Elemental Evil (capital E's)... my guess is that they were constructed by Iuz and Zuggy as part of the ruse, and filled accordingly. (note this post comes with me not having bothered to crack open the module in the last 5 years or so)... if you use the Return to module as inspiration then Zuggy and Iuz were really being played like a violin by the elder elemental god, so Elemental Evil is actually involved (although only in a sense as it turns out in the module that the EEG is actually just Tharizdun in disguise).
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:38 pm  
    Re: A PLOT LINE

Anced_Math wrote:
    FIRST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MIKELAMRONI - STAY THE H@** OFF THIS THREAD. IT IS NOT FOR YOU!!! IF I FIND OUT YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING HERE< I WILL KILL YOUR CHARACTER

We'll track his viewing and kill him in his sleep if he does. Good enough? Thread title altered to give more warning to him. Wink

As to the ToEE, there is no direct connection to the Elemental Princes in T1-4. However, as evil elemental creatures do show up there, it is not hard to imagine that the Elemental princes of Evil wouldn't be sympathetic to having their minions gain some influence for them on the Prime and so would work with Iuz and Zuggtmoy. You might find this thread over at The Piazza interesting too:

Alternate Temple of Elemental Evil

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:31 am  

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil did create a connection between the Elemental Princes of Evil and the Temple of Elemental Evil. You encounter Imix himself in the Fire Node in that version of the adventure.

Quote:
    Page 133:
    "On the desk are papers that detail the Triad’s plans. They describe that the Dark God has communicated through the Dreaming Stone and other means that the Elemental Nodes created years back must be recovered. Within each of the nodes, the corresponding Prince of Evil Elementals can be made manifest and come to the Prime Material Plane with the power to free Tharizdun."

In RttToEE, of course, Tharizdun is the ultimate villain and even Zuggtmoy is an unknowing pawn. I realize that's not a popular interpretation around here, but there is that official connection between the Elemental Princes of Evil and the Temple of Elemental Evil, for what it's worth.

Dragon #347 expanded on that, saying that "When Tharizdun first envisioned the Temple of Elemental Evil, he planned to involve Imix and his other "children" from the start. When Tharizdun's cult prepared the way for his arrival, its members contacted the elemental princes, and Imix was the first to respond. Rather than risk his own destruction in this dangerous scheme, Imix sent a lesser aspect of himself to work his will. When this weaker incarnation was destroyed, Imix divorced himself of the plot, and the other archomentals quickly followed suit."

I've said before that while I don't like the idea of connecting Tharizdun to the being worshipped by the giants and drow in GDQ, I've accepted the Tharizdun-Temple of Elemental Evil connection, since it's fundamental to using the RttToEE material.

Of course, even if you don't involve Tharizdun with the adventure, it's still possible that Zuggtmoy made an alliance with the Princes of Elemental Evil to gain their help in constructing the elemental nodes. It seems reasonable that the Lady of Fungi couldn't "fake" magic so far outside her own sphere of influence on her own.

Uzrith of Earth and Alyolvoy of Water from "Tomb of the Mud Sorcerer" might be separate from the classic five Princes of Elemental Evil - there might be any number of powerful elemental beings with similar titles - but personally I'd just assume they were alternate names given to Ogrémoch and Olhydra, because the latter two already have sufficient detail while Uzrith and Alyolvoy are just names.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:59 pm  

I only have a moment, but I wanted to thank everyone. I have synthesied this into a new twist in my campaign and it is working beautifully. They dont even know what is going on but they know that they are now stalked by Uzrith and Alyolvoy (though they do not know their names).

Thanks all.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:37 am  

You want me to delete the thread, or move it to an unviewable folder?
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: