Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - bakluni games?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    bakluni games?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:07 pm  
    bakluni games?

what do you think would be baklunish games?
    i mean, like dices...or lamb bashing while riding, as in Rambo III :P
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 pm  

Dice games are always popular. You might give the Baklunish their own unique game that is something like a cross between Dominos and Mahjong. A scoring game with "hands" than can be built off of placed tiles. I'll leave it to somebody else to work out the details, but it sounds like it would be a fun game to play.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 am  

Chess, backgammon, checkers.

Probably no games with dice (although backgammon uses dice), because their Enlightened beliefs (the Greyhawk version of Islam) most likely forbid gambling... unless it's a dao roulette wheel...

Various sports with the horse, because of their reverence for the animal, such as polo, hunting, and racing, among the nobility.

Various competitions of skill, such as music, archery, horseshoes, and wrestling. This seems like it would lend itself to spectator sports, like cockfighting, which would be very tempting to bet on, so it would be interesting to ponder how this is supressed in the culture.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:50 am  

They would gamble. They might not be proud of it, they may try not to, but they would. If they were devout they would not, but for every devout one, you'll find one who is utterly non-devout, and a few others who are only devout during high holidays.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:28 pm  

A party game (for men only)

Divide the men evenly into two teams, with one "captain" each (generally the highest ranking man but he can designate a champion). If there is an odd man out the oldest man present is the honorary judge to make the teams even.

Each team has a small object, such as a coin or prayer bead. One player on each team (anyone but the captain) places the object in his right hand and all players close their right hands out of sight of the other team.

Captains take turns interrogating opposing team-members in an attempt to determine who has the bead. Any questions they ask must be answered, though there is no requirement to give a truthful answer. Captains may not physically touch the members of the opposing team and no magic is allowed. Peering intently into the eyes is encouraged.

After each interrogation, the captain may dismiss an opposing player or keep him for later. Upon dismissal, a player opens his hand to reveal whether or not he has the bead for his team.

The game is scored by the number of players that have been dismissed when the bead is finally found (that is, the winning team is the one that has narrowed the opposing team to the fewest number that still might have the bead when it is found - in a perfect game the captain has dismissed all opposing players except for the one who actually has the bead). The game may be played with one round only for each side or multiple rounds, determined at the start of the game.

The game is enjoyed by the Baklunish because to play it well, one must be an excellent judge of character. Reading in someone's voice and body language whether or not they lie, or whether they are pretending to lie, leading them into questions that reveal the truth, and thinking one step ahead of the opponent (they think that I would never think that they would have Acheem hold the bead) are greatly valued skills.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:34 pm  

IronGolem wrote:

Probably no games with dice (although backgammon uses dice), because their Enlightened beliefs (the Greyhawk version of Islam) most likely forbid gambling... unless it's a dao roulette wheel...

Gambling would be (officially) not allowed. But dice? Dice are holy objects, ordained as such by Istus, our Lady of Fate. Those who are predestined to win contests will do so. There is no such thing as luck, so the dice exist to show who She has already determined will win.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:05 pm  

I keep telling my players that when I fudge dice rolls behind a DM screen but they don't buy the Istus excuse. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 am  

Kirt wrote:
    IronGolem wrote:

Gambling would be (officially) not allowed. But dice? Dice are holy objects, ordained as such by Istus, our Lady of Fate. Those who are predestined to win contests will do so. There is no such thing as luck, so the dice exist to show who She has already determined will win.

Nice! Smile However, I think that sort of thinking lends itself to a passive view of Fate. The Baklunish strike me as having a more active view of Fate. The mamluk who becomes a great general, the beggar-thief who becomes a prince. They do not accept their lot in life unless repeated attempts to change it are stymied. Only then are their eyes opened to the wisdom of Istus, and do they submit to her will.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:17 pm  

I think the explanation is more of a way to justify gambling and not that dice games are holy to Istus. Norebo surely cares more about dice games, as might Ralishaz(the odds don't favor the player after all). Wink
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: