Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Pathfinder. Who's playing?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Pathfinder. Who's playing?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:46 am  
    Pathfinder. Who's playing?

In response to a discussion I've been having with Gnomon over on the help and feedback forum, just how many folks out there are planning on converting their campaigns to Pathfinder?

This is just to get the feel for numbers; I'm certainly not in a position to compose long articles at this moment in time and I don't want to feel the sharp edge of Cebrion's axe caressing my neck if it looks like I'm starting something that I can't finish Wink .
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:59 pm  

Thx Ragr! Figured I should post here too -- just to say that I plan on moving my long running Greyhawk campaign to Pathfinder RPG when it is finalized next year.

Whether or not Paizo/Pathfinder RPG create Greyhawk specific content -- Pathfinder RPG core rules are going to be the rules me and my game group move to to continue our adventures in Greyhawk.

As long as we have CanonFire to keep Greyhawk alive, it really doesn't matter what RPG rules you use to enjoy setting -- but IMO Pathfinder RPG is the way to go if you've been a long time 3.5E gamer like me.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:44 am  

Happy

Great to hear it! I am wanting to at least get my hands on a hard copy of the beta, I have the PDF but there is just something about having a real book in your hands to read rather than a screen.

I think the changes presented in Pathfinder will easily accommodate GH. I plan to use pathfinder in the future.

Cool

Jim
    Master Greytalker

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:15 am  

I ordered 3 copies of the beta version, one for me, and one each for my players. It came to $47 in postage alone. But at least I still have the use of my eyes Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:55 pm  

I am not playing at the moment, but I'm eyeing it real hard. many folks have said that Paizo picked up where 3.5 left off. Eveyone seems pretty happy with it, except sorcerers and monk's grappling rules. A lot of folks down here in the boarder states play Pathfinder.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:51 pm  

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    I am not playing at the moment, but I'm eyeing it real hard. many folks have said that Paizo picked up where 3.5 left off. Eveyone seems pretty happy with it, except sorcerers and monk's grappling rules. A lot of folks down here in the boarder states play Pathfinder.

Good to hear DFN.

I keep saying to my game group that Pathfinder RPG is the only viable system for our group -- unless we want to invalidate our entire 3.5E library of materials. We have an extensive collection of 3.5E materials that will simply not work under 4E or will be difficult to make work un 4E without a great deal of work.

Is Pathfinder RPG perfect? No. But unless you want to invalidate your library and start up with a totally new game system (and I argue totally new game, not D&D) then your only real choice is Pathfinder RPG.

Paizo is doing something that I admire -- they are listening to their fans and providing materials and game upgrades that fans are really asking for in a next generation D&D RPG experience.

Give Pathfinder RPG a chance in your Greyhawk campaign and I am sure you find it the best choice to continue game play in Greyhawk.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:35 pm  

I don't know if I will ever run a Pathfinder RPG game set in greyhawk or not as of yet, I will make that descision once the final rules come out.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:08 am  

The next campaign that I run will be use the Pathfinder rules in Greyhawk's setting. I have I few adjustments that I will make to customize to my campaign, but all in all the Pathfinder RPG system is a good one.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:47 am  

It's comforting to know that there's at least a few of us out there.

My group played it's first session using the bata rules last night (RttTEE) and we had a blast. Yes, the pc's are tougher; but not disproportionately so as there was a near character death in one encounter and that was without converting the bad guys to Pathfinder (far too much work in a mod of this size).

The rules worked well, being neither more complicated or simpler overall. There were a couple of moments of leafing through the rules but that was inevitable given the number of "tidy up" changes that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Overall there's little to report. Which is a good thing in my view, because all I wanted was to continue playing a 3.5 D&D that had been cleaned up.
    That's what Paizo promised. They delivered. Thanks, guys.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:19 pm  

Ragr wrote:
    It's comforting to know that there's at least a few of us out there.

My group played it's first session using the bata rules last night (RttTEE) and we had a blast. Yes, the pc's are tougher; but not disproportionately so as there was a near character death in one encounter and that was without converting the bad guys to Pathfinder (far too much work in a mod of this size).

The rules worked well, being neither more complicated or simpler overall. There were a couple of moments of leafing through the rules but that was inevitable given the number of "tidy up" changes that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Overall there's little to report. Which is a good thing in my view, because all I wanted was to continue playing a 3.5 D&D that had been cleaned up.
    That's what Paizo promised. They delivered. Thanks, guys.

Thanks for the update Ragr!

My group has agreed to move to the new rules -- but we are holding off until we complete the current campaign -- then we'll have a break -- and start in with Pathfinder RPG in Greyhawk sometime early next year -- which I am hoping will be just in time for the official launch of the final Pathfinder RPG rule set.
    Novice

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:54 pm  

Hi,
    I'm a new member, but a veteran player. Well, I've been playing for about 16 years, so I don't know if this qualifies as veteran, but...

Anyway, I just want to say that, not to bash on 4th ed or anything, but my friends and I are divided between 4th and 3.5/Pathfinder. Some of them are totally sold on 4th, whereas others (including me) do not like the new edition and are leaning towards Pathfinder. However, like another poster said, Pathfinder isn't perfect. There are still some ambiguities or, IMO, some things they changed that I didn't feel they needed be changed or vice versa - some things they didn't touch (yet?) that would have been better modified.

So, as for myself, I'm switching, but we are also working on our own reforms to correct some irregularities we have encountered in our groups.

I just want to add that what the people at Paizo are doing, to me, is the way to go: they didn't completely overhaul the game (especially the feel of it), and they take into account what people have to say or their demands.

By the way, did I read that someone doesn't like Pathfinder's Sorcerer? Isn't he better than 3.5's version? Of course, my friends and I are modifying him further, but I personnaly like the bloodlines. The thing with the Sorcerer is his known spells: it's just too few (especially with the new set of polymorph-type spells). That's what we're working on.

Well, hope I didn't bore anybody with my first post!
    Novice

Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:54 am  

Hi all, new to the boards.

I've been running a PfRPG Beta playtest with my group, using a Paizo AP (seemed appropriate, considering), and so far so good. My co-dm and I will houserule some things to bring Pathfinder more into our way of playing, but we are happy to have a living rules set to offer new players, rather than send them to eBay looking for used copies of 3x stuff.

With nearly 30 years of gaming under my belt (cut my teeth on Greyhawk, don't ya know), I have to say that the people over at Paizo have respect for the old ways, and a commitment to their fans like no other company I've seen since the very early days of TSR.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:33 am  

Welcome,guys.

Good to hear that there are more of us playing Pathfinder. I'm now 3 sessions into using the rules set and have encountered very few problems-and those are mostly campaign things that are easily house-ruled.

I too, don't wish to slag off 4e because I've not even looked through the books let alone played the thing. But, everything I've heard about the game sets my teeth on edge; just the names of the races/classes/powers are enough to bring me to the conclusion that 4e does not suit the style of game I've been running for the last 25+ years. I'm really glad that others are enjoying it but it's not for me and I'm even more sure when I see the kind of material that Wotc are now producing; talk about repetition.

Enjoy your game.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:07 pm  

I've got the Beta rules printed out from my work PC (shhhh...... Wink ) I've never played 3.5, but got some of the core product. I hadn't thought about running Greyhawk (reconsidering, now), but, Pathfinder is definitely very high in contention for my prefered rules. Paizo is doing a beautiful job graphically in production and technically in rules support.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:05 am  
    love it

I got my hands on Pathfinder and I think it's a step in the right direction. My Greyhawk campaign will be "going Pathfinder" as soon as it's finalized, and I really appreciate how they've consolidated the skills and re-structured the number and variety of feats available.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 am  

Totally agree. I think Paizo have taken 3.5 and really "finished" it, rectifying most of the old faults and smoothing over a few cracks. It's not perfect, (what system is?)and I've had to tone a few things down to suit my campaign, but I'm completely happy with the overall rules and, of course, the biggest thing is not having to consign old books to a dusty corner.

I'm not convinced by the latest website downloads regarding traits-far too obvious really-but then the answer to that is simple; don't use 'em.

The only way I'll ever change systems again is if something truly mind-blowing comes along that suits my campaign. Very unlikely.

Happy gaming Smile
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 pm  

Somebody ought to be writing something for Pathfinder at least. The Oerth Journal is looking for article submissions for all versions of the rules. Generally we prefer things written based on TSR/WotC rules systems, and Pathfinder is a simple modification of the 3.5 rules so it fits. When we have the time, we like to include conversion notes when possible(if the author has not already done this so as to increase the utility of their offering to everyone), but that is not always the case. Anything written for a system not based on a TSR/WotC game system(ex: writing an adventure using the Fantasy HERO rules system) should have conversion notes of some kind for one of the TSR/WotC game systems.

Ragr writes enough drivel elsewhere so ought to be able to put together an article of some kind for either The Oerth Journal or for the Canonfire! front page.

The gauntlet has been thrown down. Laughing

Last edited by Cebrion on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:30 am  

And, in turn, I shall stoop to retrieve said gauntlet, turn it sideways and insert it gently somewhere dank and foul. Wink

My purple clad, entropy loving bozo, you severely misunderestimate ( Wink ) Ragr if you think I will rise angrily to such obvious goading. Not for me the angry fist waving temper tantrum; I much prefer the sharp sugar-coated blade and, as Eileen will testify, I have the gods on my side (usually). Confused

So you crave my drivel as submissions eh? Well, just as soon as I've got my campaign in order you may get that wish fulfilled. And, as the saying goes......careful what you wish for.

Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:18 am  

I already have, using the Beta rules. The response from my players has been overwhelmingly positive. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the final version to come out Happy .
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:35 am  

Pathfinder is a more favorable system than 4e for playing Dungeons and Dragons style gaming (4e is actually not a bad game system, but it is definitely not what I consider a D&D system).

Pathfinder is the natural next step for those who like the 3.5 system, although it does have a potential for abusive power creep if not GMed properly.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:50 am  

Power creep is definitely an issue with Pathfinder and I wonder whether this was done deliberately because 4e seemed to be heading in the same direction of very power stacked pc's; I don't actually know this for sure not having played 4e.

The good thing about Pathfinder is, just like previous editions of D&D, it's very customisable so it works even in my (very) "low-magic/fantasy" style campaign.

You sound like you've played both, Telemachus, so you'll have a clearer perspective on this.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:50 am  

Actually Ragr, I can answer this having also played both systems. Telemachus, is spot on when he says it's not a bad system, but it doesn't feel like D&D.
    Pathfinder IMO is much more compatable with the low magic setting even though, as has been noted, the characters have experienced "power creep" which was done to make them on par with the classes that came out in later books.
    In 4th ed, characters have powers which feel very much like magical effects to me. Not to mention, certain races have abilites that also feel very magical. And then, there is also the ability for non-casters to cast spells through the use of a cooperative magic type feat, I can't remember the name right now.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:46 am  

I've not bought Pathfinder RPG yet, but I'm certainly attracted by the fact that it builds upon the 3.5 SRD.

I'm probably going to wait for it to be finished before I spend any cash on it, but I'd love to see someone remove all of the the Pathfinder PI from the final thing and create a 100 percent OGC version that can then be used with other campaign settings.

If the D&D community (or Pathfinder themselves) can give us a new "3.75 SRD", the various fan communities could use that to create a conversion document for their favorite campaign setting. (I'd expect a big chunk of the conversion would need to be how to roll up divine character classes under Pathfinder rules.)

With WotC taking the "GH=core" line, that should be fairly easy for the GH community. So I'm looking forward to the day when I can download a Player's PDF that tells people how to roll up GH PCs under the latest 3rd edition rules.

(And, as a pro-choice gamer, I do think it is a shame that AD&D players don't have their own 1e and 2e SRD, to allow their games to be Pathfinderised by a company that wants to keep those earlier systems running.)
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Novice

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:20 am  

bigmac wrote:
    I've not bought Pathfinder RPG yet, but I'm certainly attracted by the fact that it builds upon the 3.5 SRD.

They've sold out of the hardcopy Betas, so rules-wise, there's nothing to buy until the final comes out. But, if you want a preview of what some of the changes may look like, the PDF is free.

The Beta rules were an "out there" production, used to test out some radical ideas. The final rules will be a more conservative update, from what I've heard from the designer on the Paizo boards.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 17, 2009 1:52 am  

I grabbed a pdf of the beta for Pathfinder.

The flavour is great and all the way through it.

The balance of classes and races fixes the few things I don't like about 3.5 D&D.

Looking forward to further core pathfinder books, especially if they are as good as the adventure path stuff.
    Novice

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:29 pm  

We just started a new campaign and are using a House Rule version of the Pathfinder Beta. Clerics are the main change, I do not like what they did to some of the Domain powers, we also had some changes to some of the spells, and then adding in what we had from previous 3.5 material... it is taking a bit of time, but will be a great system to use. I was using a generic world initially, but am now moving the game into Greyhawk. I'm glad I stumbled on Canonfire to help me out.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:29 pm  

I like the Cleric domains, but then I remember how uneven the spell lists were by Sphere in 2nd edition, so anything with a balanced arrangement of spells by domain is good by me.

The biggest improvement for me is the Sorcerers.

I can't say enough how great the Pathfinder version is.

For Greyhawk there would be Abyssal Sorcerers working for Iuz, Tharizdum cult could have Abherrant Sorcerers, Silent Ones of Keoland could be Draconic Sorcerers, Fey Sorcerers in Celene and the Verve, Infernal Sorcerers in Ahlissa and The Pomraj.

I can see them fitting into prestigue classes also -
    Draconic Sorcerer becoming Dragon Disciple
    Infernal Sorcerer becoming Blackguard

Rogues are also improved and a much more viable option for those who like getting into combat.

I've downloaded some of the Second Darkness adventures, really good to read, full of flavour.

Only thing I don't like about Pathfinder so far is Gnomes. Vile little buggers. Ask anyone who's played Nethack :P
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:49 pm  

stonechild wrote:
    Actually Ragr, I can answer this having also played both systems. Telemachus, is spot on when he says it's not a bad system, but it doesn't feel like D&D.
    Pathfinder IMO is much more compatable with the low magic setting even though, as has been noted, the characters have experienced "power creep" which was done to make them on par with the classes that came out in later books.
    In 4th ed, characters have powers which feel very much like magical effects to me. Not to mention, certain races have abilites that also feel very magical. And then, there is also the ability for non-casters to cast spells through the use of a cooperative magic type feat, I can't remember the name right now.

I may be wrong in this, but it seems that even more so than 3.5, Pathfinder makes it more a point that the classes in the book are for extrodonary people while most others are one of the npc classes making the power creep more valed. Just a thought.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 am  

"The only way I'll ever change systems again is if something truly mind-blowing comes along that suits my campaign. Very unlikely."

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Best laid plans and all that.........

I thought that, as I started this thread, I'd better update on my experiences lest I be accused of starting something I couldn't finish. Basically, I've completely abandoned Pathfinder for my campaign despite the above comment. Let me say that I still think it's a great system and would happily PLAY in a game tonight, but it just didn't work out for me a s a GM running Greyhawk in my own idiosyncratic style. No one single thing was the problem, more an accumulation of small issues that built up into a bigger unhappiness for which the blame could be laid at a multitude of doors (even George R R Martin plays a part in this as I had started to re-read his Westeros books and realised that it would be very difficult to capture the feel of that game using Pathfinder. I realise there is an excellent d20 game based on the books but incorporating magic is a game breaker).

I considered many different options for my campaign, including a heavily modified Pathfinder (too much work and, ultimately, what's the point), Rolemaster (just wasn't quite the ticket) and AD&D 1e (they say never go back) before deciding on Chaosium's BRP. The BRP system is a complete change (no classes, no levels, small numbers) and there is little or no material that is instantly portable to Greyhawk but, I guess in some perverse way, that was the attraction.

I hope you are all thoroughly enjoying Pathfinder and I wish it all the best (who knows if I'll get to actually play the game) and I'll still be popping in to these threads to steal ideas.
    [/quote]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 am  

I am just switching to Pathfinder. Excellent system - much better than 3 and 3.5 edition. So far I've only played in the Pathfinder world but as soon as I get use to the rules I'll be pushing to move to Greyhawk.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:07 am  

pdxwinn wrote:
    So far I've only played in the Pathfinder world but as soon as I get use to the rules I'll be pushing to move to Greyhawk.

From what I've seen of the Golarion material switching to GH should be a doddle; they seem eerily compatible.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 am  

Compatible enough I'm considering combining them in to one world - please, check this link: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4391

I could use anyone's advice that may have considered or has already done this.

Thx!
    Novice

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:30 pm  

Pathfinder RPG core rules are going to be the rules me and my game group move to to continue our adventures in Greyhawk.......

Buying WoW GoldBuy World of Warcraft GoldWoW Gold Cheap
    Master Greytalker

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 pm  
    Pathfinder RPG for GH

Well, I have to say that, thus far, I couldn't be more thrilled with the Pathfinder RPG ... it has turned out to be the perfect vehicle for me to get my Gaming group into (essentially) 3rd Edition. One of the fellas that plays is a huge White Wolf fan, and he played and DM'd in 2nd Edition prolifically, but hasn't done much in the past several years.

Now that he is comfortable with the fact that there's not all that much that is different (after having looked at the conversion guide published in 3.0) he is great with it, and since I play in GH, he has really taken to the setting as well, and the other players include both novices and experienced D&D gamers, and all are good with the Pathfinder (3.75) rules.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 am  

I GM a weekly Pathfinder game set in the World of Greyhawk. We've just started the Godsmouth Heresy. I post session summaries to my blog and you can read the first couple here.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:15 am  

Your comment on the blog about magic being treated as a commodity set the bells of St Paul's ringing in my head.

It's one of the reasons I jumped ship to another system but I'm going to be interested in how you deal with that in Pathfinder.

Good gaming, Cool
    GreySage

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:17 am  

Creighton wrote:
    I GM a weekly Pathfinder game set in the World of Greyhawk. We've just started the Godsmouth Heresy. I post session summaries to my blog and you can read the first couple here.

I commented on a few of your posts over there.

Sounds like a good start. Smile

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:23 am  

I have been using Pathfinder for some time now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's a brutal system, which adds to the flavor, IMHO. There's none of this, "Oh it's just goblins, no big deal..." attitude. Currently I'm playing in a campaign that is Pathfinder based, but is in the Planescape setting. It's doubly brutal; no one comes to the game thinking "Oh this should be an easy adventure." Nope, everyone is to busy trying to survive to stop and take a look at the view Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:27 am  

My current game is using Pathfinder which to be honest has been my favorite version of D&D that I have played. Though I did tweak it some (the big thing I did was get rid of the boring "Ring of Protection/Cloak of Resistance/Et Cetera" Items), though not as much as I had tweaked 3.0.

I really love that they changed most of the Save or Die spells, and the change to Grapple is a godsend. I always hated it when characters would try to grapple, it took me years to remember it by heart since it rarely came up. For that matter I hated Turn Undead too, I was so happy that the DM screen that I had bought had the Turn rules right on there (though it didn't have the grapple ones. Grrr.)

Currently I am running two Greyhawk games in Pathfinder, one once a weekend (they are 3rd level), and one that I run with my girlfriend during weeknights, and when we can fit it into our busy schedule. Her 'group' just hit level 9.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:58 am  

We're starting up in a few weeks. I've been thinking about a PFRPG Greyhawk game for a long time...since the beta.

With the release of Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat, I feel like we can really crank up the weirdness.

I know there are things I could reveal about the game that might cause folks to reach for torches and pitchforks, but hey... I gotta run this the way I remember it from back in 1983... I have been gone a long time (HERO System, GURPS, Dark Heresy, &c.) and if I'm to return, I do it my way, right?

My players are happy. That's what's important.
    GreySage

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:03 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! jephkay! Glad to have you. Smile

I'm participating in a Pathfinder campaign myself right now and it is the way to go if you like edition 3.5 D&D.

Get on over to the Welcome Forum and officially introduce yourself to the rest of us. We'll encourage you to participate in forum discussions, submit articles, join in on Greytalk Chat, and in all other ways give up your former life to become a full-time member of the Canonfire! community. Happy

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:29 am  
    Give up your life for atonement.

SirXaris wrote:
    Welcome to Canonfire! jephkay! ... and in all other ways give up your former life to become a full-time member of the Canonfire! community. Happy

Sheesh ... that's one heck of an Atonement spell.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: