Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Postfest XI(Growfest 2009): Greyhawk Power Groups(lesser)!!!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    Postfest XI(Growfest 2009): Greyhawk Power Groups(lesser)!!!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:42 pm  
    Postfest XI(Growfest 2009): Greyhawk Power Groups(lesser)!!!

Welcome to Postfest XI(Growfest 2009): Greyhawk Power Groups(Lesser)

This Postfest will concentrate on "growing" the background and organization of some small-time power groups in the World of Greyhawk. By Greyhawk Power Groups(lesser) I mean those small groups that do not wield multinational power, or even national power, so groups like the Circle of Eight, The Seekers, The Silent Ones, and the various major knightly orders are right out!

This Postfest will focus on those smaller power groups that play a role in more local matters, such as a thieves' guild, a specific church in a town, a bandit gang(NOT one of the Bandit Kingdoms lords, but a lesser bandit serving one of them would be fine), a small time Wild Coast robber baron and his minions, a group of freedom fighters, a fighters' guild, a mercenary band, a cult of any kind, a cell of the Scarlet Brotherhood, an infamous pirate ship/fleet and its crew(s), etc. You get the idea.

These sorts of groups will usually operate as either a foil for PCs/NPCs in a single adventure or a few linked adventures(such as the cult of Iuz in the Falcon series does)or as a useful group for them to know of or be involved with when they are in the area where such small power groups as these have some sort of influence. You can write up your submission as a simple overview of the group you choose to write on, or you can write it up as an encounter, such as a Bandit Gang(your topic) that is ambushing the PCs during their travels!Cool So as to cut down on people accidentally writing on the same topic, please post what you will be writing about in this thread. Duplicate topics are okay but we would like to keep it to a minimum.

Now, on to the format. Your submission should be in the realm of 2,000-4,000 words or so in length. That is not set in stone, but it is a good average length for any article. Try to write on something that hasn’t already been covered in too much detail anywhere, if at all. Creating something new and unique is highly encouraged! Hopefully we'll see a lot of submissions based on peoples' own campaign material that they have developed over the years. As usual, be sure to not only Spell Check your article but read it over yourself, as Spell Check will catch many things, but not always everything.

You may submit your article HERE. Be sure to write a short introductory teaser for your article and be sure to cite any sources you may have used as well. ***See the directions at the top of the Submissions page if you have any problems with the text not being accepted. Even if the text is not accepted, you must still submit the article on the Submissions page. When e-mailing an article to editors<at>canonfire<dot>com, be sure that your article is in simple Word form, with no formatting of any sort if possible(the simpler the better). This just makes things a whole lot easier for us to deal with, so please take the time to do this.

Make sure you put the title of your submission in the following format:

Postfest XI(Growfest 2009): TITLE OF YOUR ARTICLE

***Submissions are due by June 31st, the last day before Richfest begins.

Thanks.

---Cebrion

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:44 am; edited 8 times in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 am  

I've got dibs on the Bronze Band! Happy

This group skirts the edge of what would be allowable for this Postfest I think, but it's a small and very localized group and not some massive merc army, so I'm slipping it in! Wink

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon May 25, 2009 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:37 am  

Crap, it's so hard to choose. As the previous Meta-org coordinator for the BK in LG, I have TONS of material on all kinds of groups in the BK that were only briefly hinted at or touched upon in canon. Going to be hard to pick just one, but I'm leaning towards the Fanlareshen Elves (the elves in the Fellreev allied with the Reyhu), the Rookroost Thieves Guild (which would tie in nicely to my Postfest X submission), or the Johrase Mercenaries.

Casey
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:14 am  

Dibs on the Company of the Wolf, as mentioned in my submission from last postfest: A company of rangers and scouts concerned with keeping trade flowing in western Verbobonc and into the Uleks.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri May 01, 2009 9:55 pm  

Submit more than one article if you wish.

One other point of note: any imges you include as part of any Postfest submission should be *original images* and not images scanned from a product or source that you have not been given direct permission to use. This includes maps, so if you want to include a map then you will need to make it yourself, or at the very least provide a simple drawing and I'll see what I can do about putting them in a nicer, more finished form.

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon May 25, 2009 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 am  
    update

Also, one other thing that we'll be doing is giving the Postfest submissions a little bit of front page lurvin', so they'll appear on the front page for a while before going to the archive. You will notice that the submissions for the previous Postfest are now visible on the front page, and there they shall remain until the next Postfest entries are ready to be posted. Cool Cool

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon May 25, 2009 1:26 am; edited 3 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 24, 2009 5:30 am  

I am submitting the Queen's Knights, an original group from my campaign. They predate the ROCF/ID, and are subtly active in the middle Sheldomar valley.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:10 pm  

If people want to work on multiple topics that fit this Postfest they may submit more than one article if they so choose. Limit yourselves to no more than three articles though.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:19 am  

Just over a week to go now. Unless I alter the current format of my article, I ought to be finished in time.

It's still gonna be close though. Laughing

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 pm  

Submitted as of June 30th, 11:45 PM CT. Looking forward to seeing eveyone else's articles!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:02 am  

Everybody should make a point of getting in their submissions no later than July 9th so we have some time to get them ready for posting.

Thanks.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:49 pm  

I have attempted to paste my submission in, and it will not paste. Can I email it to you?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 pm  

Yes. Any article that will not paste in and post, send it to me at editors<at>canonfire<dot>com, but still preview and submit the title of your article as it acts as a place holder for your article and tags it as belonging/originating from your user profile.

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:44 am  

Postfest XI articles have begun to post to the front page.Cool Be sure to get yours in as soon as is possible.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: