Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What is your favorite place for a campagin in Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    What is your favorite place for a campagin in Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:45 am  
    What is your favorite place for a campagin in Greyhawk?

And, who is your favorite villain, or faction. Also, is there a favorite time period you like to run your games?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:46 am  

Favorite place - Wild Coast, although I also like being mobile, being able to get all over the place in Greyhawk.

Favorite villain: Ombi to Dwarf caused us all sorts of problems and the Scarlet Brotherhood for a villainous organization. My overall favorite though was when, in a battle, our foe conjured an evil version of our party mage that turned out to be permanent, survived the battle, and escaped. For the next several years we kept running into people who 'knew' and feared our wizard but it was actually his evil twin. We were frequently barred from cities, hunted, and otherwise hindered by the evil reputation he had because of his clone.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:16 pm  

Favorite Places: Mysterious Places, preferably beneath the surface of the sea.

Favorite Villains: Hags
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:25 pm  

Oooh, that 'it wasn't me, it was my evil clone!' idea is a good one. I'm going to steal it!

Hags. I never considered using them. I run into material about them that illustrate them as a power group throughout the planes. I rarely see them in modules. I'll have to take another look.

'Under the sea' is a place that I have only adventured once in all of my 20 years of play.

Personally: my favorite villain Iuz and his priests and the Church of St. Cuthbert (love those good-aligned antagonists). My favorite place is Verbobonc.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:17 pm  

It was a great idea, and very aggravating for us players (but in a good roleplaying way).

Nothing like rolling into town a town fresh from a dungeon crawl and ready to chill in a tavern and unload your loot... only to have the peasants take one look at you and run screaming in terror and the town militia to fall out to drive out the "villainous wizard hand his minions."

Plus the guy was actively working against us. We would run over to our old friend the sage to get his advice about something or the other and find that 'we' had murdered him weeks or months earlier and were wanted men. The wizard would go to a mage's guild he's been an honorable and long term member of to find he was barred for looting their magic item vault months earlier when we had been a half-continent away.

The evil twin kept hiring assassins and other minions and sending them after us and hooked up with several of our arch-foes or nemesis organizations and started helping them out to hinder us.

It turned out to be a major secondary plot theme for several years in our campaign and was a ton of fun to have to deal with.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:08 am  

A follow-up to my earlier question: what is it about this area that appeals to you over other areas. What plots/sub-plots, villains/antagonists, challenges are present in this area that make it so more appropriate to your game than anywhere else in the Flanaess?
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:46 pm  

I favor Greyhawk City-urban campaigns. GHC has it all in the Domain and the vast array of NPCs and organizations is hard to match for intrigue and politics.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:13 am  

I'd agree with Mort about Greyhawk city. In fact, one of the reasons I like the World of Greyhawk is that Greyhaek city is fairly well developed with some great flavor, but if I want to put my own flavor into a major city there are several others left to play with.

Its one of the strengths of the setting... its easy to play in one area and then when your ready for a change move to another.

I mentioned the wild coast as one of my favorites because it is nicely chaotic and 'frontiersy' From a small city where the party can set up a base of operations its usually an easy day trip out to some ruined tower or dank dungeon they have found out about .

But in most of my Greyhawk campaigns the party stays pretty mobile, travelling all over in pursuit of adventure, loot, and glory. Its not unusual for us to be wandering around Sterich for weeks or months and then follow some clue to Nyrond. At lower levels this of course entails the adventures involved in actually travelling overland across a contenent.

I particulary remember it took us 3 years of real life and 10 years of our character's lives in one campaign to make it from southern Keoland to the city of Greyhawk... we just kept getting sidetracked including dealing with some giant/drow conspiracy and a forey into the underdark and getting trapped on the first plane of hell for a year because we got curious about a chest we found in a cave.
    GreySage

Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:05 pm  

I always visit the City of Greyhawk, or start the campaign from there, but then travel to the Yeomanry and the Crystalmists for adventuring.

There are several story lines from the time before the Twin Cataclysms that I like; such as the final fate of Oerth's first Lich and a possible connection with the White Kingdom, etc.

A Lich -- or sometimes Dragons -- is usually at the center of the chaos, directing their minions against the player characters.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: