JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Town of Greatrock
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Town of Greatrock
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:24 am  
    Town of Greatrock

Does anyone know where the town of Greatrock is located? This is the town where Phoebus, the famed reicarnated lizard man from the 1st Edition Rogues Gallery was mayor. I found a Greyhawk blog that lists it in Greyhawks' Kilma province (which I had never heard of) where Hardby is also located. It also lists the population as 3500, but no further info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dukan
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:44 am  

Your answer is found in "Slavers"; there are also a few other NPCs from the old "Rogues' Gallery" who are placed in "Slavers".

IIRC, Greatrock was in the northern Wild Coast (I don't have it on me).
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:21 pm  

Yep. About 18 to 20 miles north of Hardby, and is on the road between that city and Greyhawk. As of 591 CY the population of this small fishing village stands at 108, most of its younger residents having moved away for lack of opportunity. Sparkle Creek is a nearby feature, which judging by the map in The Star Cairns is north of the town. The rock from which the town takes its name is "... an incongruously placed mass of chalky white stone." This also appears to be represented on the Star Cairns map, looking to be out in the bay near the creek mouth. As you know already, Phoebus is the mayor.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 am  
    Much love and research

GAWD!! I swear sometimes I *LOVE* you guys! Happy

There are plenty of little tidbits that I don't know about Greyhawk, although I like to think of myself as among the better-researched players. Every once in awhile, something like this will come up, and it makes me think how glad I am that I belong to a community like this one. I know that if I ever have questions, even really obscure ones, I can always find someone who's done research and just happens to know the answer to what I am looking for. Sometimes, I just want to hug you guys!! I *LOVE* you guys!

<Ahem> You know ... in a manly kind of way. Cool

"Dude, you can't have my Bud Light."
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:33 am  
    Re: Much love and research

Icarus wrote:

Wait a gosh darn minute here! What about the LOVE! Confused Evil Laughing Razz

Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:38 am  

But...I don't drink. Hey! What are you suggesting?!?!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 am  

Are you married as well? The best type of friend... one that won't steal your girl or your beer.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:40 pm  

Very happily married, yes. With three wonderful children.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:34 pm  

Hey, thanks folks! I'm gonna go dig out Slavers and The Star Cairns from my basement now.

Dukan
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:02 pm  

Dukan wrote:
    Hey, thanks folks! I'm gonna go dig out Slavers and The Star Cairns from my basement now.

Dukan

No problem Dukan. Like Icarus said, this is a large part of what this place is all about. If you work up something good on it, consider submitting it as an article. We always need more of that.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 pm  
    Re: Much love and research

Icarus wrote:

You drink that swill???!!! Sorry, no manly love reflected back at you... Laughing
    CF Admin

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 pm  

FWIW, since Phoebus was played by Jeff R. Leason---who was not one of the original campaign players as I recall---my hunch is that adding him into GH via Slavers was a tribute to the Rogues Gallery content in general, vs. a specific GH tribute to Jeff's non-GH PC.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:29 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Yep. About 18 to 20 miles north of Hardby, and is on the road between that city and Greyhawk. As of 591 CY the population of this small fishing village stands at 108, most of its younger residents having moved away for lack of opportunity...As you know already, Phoebus is the mayor.

Although one might question why a village of 108 old fisherman has need of a mayor....
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:37 pm  

Well, mayor can mean a lot of things, it may be an informal recognition based on popularity alone, it may be an office more along the lines of a lord protector or it may simply be a self styled position.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:42 pm  

manus-nigrum wrote:
    Well, mayor can mean a lot of things, it may be an informal recognition based on popularity alone, it may be an office more along the lines of a lord protector or it may simply be a self styled position.

Right. As a child I lived in a town with a population of 13. My dad was the acknowledged "mayor" and was even introduced as such on occasion. Obviously he never won an election, nor was one ever held, but he pretty much was the "go-to guy" for everybody within a 10-mile radius.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 pm  

Kirt wrote:
    Although one might question why a village of 108 old fisherman has need of a mayor....

Fishing = business and business = taxes, and when did a lord ever say "Bah, that village is small. Lets' not collect taxes from them." ;)

Every small village will have some sort of spokesperson, elected or not, who is usually the most prominent or most respected resident. That person will deal with others on behalf of the community.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:28 am  

Quote:
    Fishing = business and business = taxes, and when did a lord ever say "Bah, that village is small. Lets' not collect taxes from them." ;)

Now that you mention it, how many of the governments where we all live would say no to tax money either?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Kirt wrote:

Well, sure, but then if he is a Lord's collection agent he might better be called a Reeve or a Beadle...

Cebrion wrote:

Every small village will have some sort of spokesperson, elected or not, who is usually the most prominent or most respected resident. That person will deal with others on behalf of the community.

Of course, but then it seems like Headman, or Spokesman, or Chief Centaur, or High Fishmonger, or Great Cod, or Hauptling or something would be more appropriate..."Mayor" just seems to me a presumptuous title for someone who is not an executive head with other officials under him.

Or perhaps some local word which translates from Old Suel as "Emasculated One who Keeps His Position So Long as the Gynarch is Happy"
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:54 am  

Ah, but you see, "High Fishmonger" and "Great Cod" are level titles among the priesthood of Procan, and so having some mere non-clergy member make use of such titles would be blasphemy. Happy

Sure, one could use another title like "elder", or any of the others you mention. This one just happens to be "mayor".

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:59 pm  

Ah, "Great Cod"...

Brings back memories of my old college days. Several of the ladies on campus called me that, you see. It was a sort of nickname....
    Master Greytalker

Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:00 pm  

Because I was such a good fisherman, of course. Shocked Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:02 am  

bubbagump wrote:

Yeah...that's what you tell your wife, right? Evil Grin
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:25 am  

Kirt wrote:
    ...Although one might question why a village of 108 old fisherman has need of a mayor....

-In previous times, Greatrock had a larger population, and was a center of trade; the title of Mayor dates to those times. Just as with a Baron whose holdings may have dwindled to almost nothing, the title remains. Wink
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 am  

hedgeknight wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:

Yeah...that's what you tell your wife, right? Evil Grin

And she believes me. She was one of those ladies on campus....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:30 am  

Phoebus is now found (in 3.5e) in the World Serpent Inn were it makes contact with Oerth in the city of Irongate. Ill get the exact dragon magazine number. FYI

Mark
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:34 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Kirt wrote:

What if there is communism in Greyhawk? You know what the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is? Marxism.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:22 pm  

Actually, I thought that the people of Saltmarsh were an anarcho-syndicalist commune who took it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the
    week.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:31 am  

Thmpr wrote:
    Phoebus is now found (in 3.5e) in the World Serpent Inn were it makes contact with Oerth in the city of Irongate. Ill get the exact dragon magazine number. FYI

Mark

It's Dragon #351 p.26. Is this article an expansion on the World Serpent Inn from the Manual of the Planes web enhancement ? Or is it a reimagining ?

Phoebus is mentioned in the Duicarthex2 as:
    Phoebus, Mayor; N; Human male, now Lizard Man Ftr10, Greatrock

Mike Johnson did a full statblock for him here (Phoebus; N; Male lizard folk (reincarnated human) fighter 13)
    GreySage

Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:59 pm  

Thanael wrote:
    It's Dragon #351 p.26. Is this article an expansion on the World Serpent Inn from the Manual of the Planes web enhancement ? Or is it a reimagining ?

It's an expansion.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:22 am  

Well ... it is an expansion, as Rasgon said just above. But it's not just an expansion on the Manual of the Planes web enhancement... the web enhancement itself was an expansion of the original World Serpent Inn as found in the 1st Edition supplement "Tales from the Outer Planes" (OP1, TSR9225, 1988). The original "link" in that module was a place called the "Wild Goose", which is now known to be located in the City of Greyhawk's Artisan Quarter, (Area A18, if you have the map) among the plethora of places that it is known to have manifested.

That's a fairly obscure reference, as I don't think that a whole heck of a lot of people owned it. It wasn't rare or anything, just not as huge as other books. ... so, it's been around awhile.

{Edit: As Rasgon rightly points out below, it was for AD&D, not 2nd Edition AD&D. Corrected edition reference.]

Icarus
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>

Last edited by Icarus on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
    GreySage

Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:57 am  

Icarus wrote:
    the 2nd Edition supplement "Tales from the Outer Planes" (OP1, TSR9225, 1988).

First edition, even! It was published to support the first edition Manual of the Planes.

I actually wiki'd the World Serpent Inn and Phoebus a while ago:

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=World_Serpent_Inn
    http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Phoebus
    Master Greytalker

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:03 pm  
    Tales of the outer Planes

And once again, I humble myself before the Great Rasgon, Patron of Knowledge and All Things Greyhawkish. Happy

That's really great Rasgon ... I didn't even catch that little error. It was niether what we now call "basic" edition, nor 2nd. It was that brief period when AD&D was still in it's original edition. Thanks for catching it ... now I should put the supplement in the right folder in my directory... ah yes, indulging the ol' OCD. Shocked Wink

BTW I edited the former post to reflect corrections.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: