JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The black Sorcerer of Verbobonc
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The black Sorcerer of Verbobonc
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:25 pm  
    The black Sorcerer of Verbobonc

I was looking through "Slavers" and came accrost a refrence to him. Anyone ever hear of him? {Slavers pg 43}

just wondering.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:46 pm  

Zavoda's index has just the ref's in Slavers, so that looks to be it. Maybe he/she was from Chris Pramas' or SKR's games. I say run with it, man!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 pm  

Yep, Slavers contains everything I know about the BSoV. However, in campaign a couple of years ago I did develop him a little for the sake of background. IMC he is/was an agent of the cult of the Elder Elemental Eye in cahoots with the crowd described in RttToEE. He was absent on a mission for them during the events of the module, returning only after the cult had been destroyed by adventurers. He salvaged what he could from the ruins and went in pursuit of unknown goals.

His wife and daughter, however, were left behind. The PCs IMC encountered the wife several years after the BSoV went missing. At the time she was living near an almost-invisible village south of Nulb, serving the locals as a sort of herbalist/witch. She was quite glad her vindictive and hateful husband was gone and lived in fear of his return.

The daughter, a rather powerful spellcaster in her own right, was pursuing a similar path at her small estate near Eglath. The PCs had discovered an old document that gave the bearer the rights to inhabit and control some ruins they'd found, and this they traded to the daughter for desperately needed healing.

Soon after this the mother died of natural causes and the daughter moved to take possession of the ruins and her mother's belongings. The great age of the document she received from the PCs meant its validity had to be argued in court at Verbobonc. This the daughter succeeded in doing, though not without significant expense and effort.

The daughter now resides in the ruins, which are being renovated into a new keep, and otherwise minds her own business. Burne from Hommlet (Rufus has retired IMC) views her with some suspicion, but as yet she has given him no cause for concern. An eccentric retired merchant from Hommlet (actually as aspect of Zagyg) visits her with some frequency, and while the two have only rarely been seen together she appears to treat him with considerable deference.

Neither the daughter or the mother have ever revealed their names. The daughter is known only as "the blue witch" and her mother was known only as "Mother Crone".
    Master Greytalker

Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:08 pm  
    Exhuming the Black Socerer of Verbobonc

Bubbagump ... that's a nice little storyline there.

Thmpr ... another option for you is to try and look up some of Living Greyhawk material from Verbobonc. Some people have canon issues with the LG, stuff, others don't, but I never saw anything from Verbobonc that was not good writing, for the most part.

I have all of their regional adventures ... so let me scan them and see if I can get a hit on the "Black Socerer" ... <scan in progress> ... Well, I got a couple of hits off of the PDFs, but that doesn't mean much, in the grand scheme of things. Anyway, I would suggest trying the website for the Verbobonc region, or seeing if you can get in touch with anyone that played there ...

It's a really great resource, IMO. Verbobonc was one of the most active regions in LG, so I would be shocked if they missed a published NPC like him.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Master Greytalker

Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:58 pm  
    Re: Exhuming the Black Socerer of Verbobonc

Icarus wrote:

Thanks. High praise coming from you. Happy

I'll check my LG stuff, too, since I have virtually everything on .pdf.
    CF Admin

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:11 pm  

FWIW, I always figured it was a veiled allusion to the sorcerer of the Black Reservoir.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:37 am  

Nice stuff bubba! Might "borrow" some of that for my ToEE campaign - btw, it launched today. Cool
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 am  

hedgeknight wrote:
    Nice stuff bubba! Might "borrow" some of that for my ToEE campaign - btw, it launched today. Cool

Feel free to borrow whatever you like. Let us know how the new campaign goes, eh?

BTW, I "reworked" Hommlet some time ago to include events since RttToEE. I didn't like the "cosmopolitan" version of the village from that mod so I made up an event or two to return it to its smaller size. I also moved it forward in time a little bit (to about 598 CY). It's not exactly spot-on with canon but it's not too far off. If you want it, I think I still have it around here somewhere.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:31 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    hedgeknight wrote:

Feel free to borrow whatever you like. Let us know how the new campaign goes, eh?

BTW, I "reworked" Hommlet some time ago to include events since RttToEE. I didn't like the "cosmopolitan" version of the village from that mod so I made up an event or two to return it to its smaller size. I also moved it forward in time a little bit (to about 598 CY). It's not exactly spot-on with canon but it's not too far off. If you want it, I think I still have it around here somewhere.

I will keep you posted...somewhere in the forums; not really sure where. Is there a campaign log forum type thingy? Wink

And yes, I'd love to see your work on Hommlet. You can email it to me at yankmychain<at>gmail<dot>com - trust me, that really IS my email address. Razz
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:29 am  

Icarus wrote:

Thmpr ... another option for you is to try and look up some of Living Greyhawk material from Verbobonc. Some people have canon issues with the LG, stuff, others don't, but I never saw anything from Verbobonc that was not good writing, for the most part.

I have all of their regional adventures ... so let me scan them and see if I can get a hit on the "Black Socerer" ... <scan in progress> ... Well, I got a couple of hits off of the PDFs, but that doesn't mean much, in the grand scheme of things. Anyway, I would suggest trying the website for the Verbobonc region, or seeing if you can get in touch with anyone that played there ...

It's a really great resource, IMO. Verbobonc was one of the most active regions in LG, so I would be shocked if they missed a published NPC like him.

Thanks for the kind remarks. We tried to make sure our region was canonically consistent (at least that was a goal while I was a Triad), but given the nature of LG and the bulk-rate at which mods were produced, I *know* that we had some mods of lower quality than others - because I, unfortunately, wrote some of them.

Regarding the Black Sorcerer, I can tell you that we never did anything with him. It is possible that our main antagonist from the first 5-year arc (the Cowled Lady) was either intended to be the Black Sorcerer with a sex-change (for whatever reason), or was inspired by the NPC. That arc was crafted by other people, and I have no notes or documents of their decision-making process beyond an outline of the arc itself. I was aware of the NPC, however, and wanted to use him in subsequent arcs had the campaign continued.

With all of that said - the LG Verbobonc website is definitely still active, so feel free to plunder the documents you find there for use in your own campaign. And thanks again for the kind comments.

Vernon L. Vincent
    Verbobonc Triad (retired)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:29 am  

UUUh i would love to see your work on Hommlet to. Please email me at jonas<at>lykkeaa<dot>dk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:05 am  

vvincent wrote:
    With all of that said - the LG Verbobonc website is definitely still active, so feel free to plunder the documents you find there for use in your own campaign. And thanks again for the kind comments.

Vernon L. Vincent

Really? That's great news! Is content still being added to that site? I just figured once LGG went belly up, that most of the sites stopped publishing content. A few sites I've checked are no longer available.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:38 pm  

hedgeknight wrote:
    And yes, I'd love to see your work on Hommlet. You can email it to me at...
    Krimeah wrote:
    UUUh i would love to see your work on Hommlet to. Please email me at...

Files sent. Enjoy!

bubbagump wrote:
    I'll check my LG stuff, too, since I have virtually everything on .pdf.

Checked it. Didn't find anything, of course. Sorry.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:15 pm  

bubba, you are my friend forever!! Cool

I just replied to your email, but I'll say it here too, the info you sent is priceless! Love it, man. Thanks so much. Will definitely incorporate as much as I can into my campaign.

I owe you...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 pm  

hedgeknight wrote:
    vvincent wrote:

Vernon L. Vincent

Really? That's great news! Is content still being added to that site? I just figured once LGG went belly up, that most of the sites stopped publishing content. A few sites I've checked are no longer available.

Unfortuntely, we haven't been adding any new content. "Active" in this sense means that I'm still maintaining the website and haven't taken it offline. It's mostly a repository for the regional documentation that was generated during the campaign, and still sees a modest amount of regular traffic.

I have had a plan to do an updated gazetteer that covers the events that occurred during the campaign, plus serves as a resource for people wanting to use Verbobonc in their home campaign. However, time being what it is - I haven't had the chance to put it together. It's not abandoned - just horribly delayed.

Vernon L. Vincent
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:42 pm  

Well, bless you for keeping it alive any way you can, VV Wink
    It's a very well done site; I plan on visiting it often in the next several months while my campaign is running. I know my players want to do the GDQ series after ToEE, but from all of the resource materials, I'm fairly content to camp out in the Viscounty of Verbobonc.
    -g-
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:50 pm  

hedgeknight wrote:
    bubba, you are my friend forever!! Cool

I just replied to your email, but I'll say it here too, the info you sent is priceless! Love it, man. Thanks so much. Will definitely incorporate as much as I can into my campaign.

I owe you...

Always glad to help out a fellow 'hawker, my friend. I hope you find it useful.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 am  

I am thinking of a different take on him. maybe literal black sorcerer. if I remember corectly that would be a Tov human (or partly). make him a sorcerer of about 13th-14th level and probably neutral alignment. The reference states he destroyed Sevant of Sevant (a 13th level mage). Sevant is portrade as the defender in the reference and a protector of the village/ port. My story would go something like this: (in basic outline) Sevant has aquired a rare item that the Black Sorcerer desires. they inter into a negotiation that turns bad, the end result is the black sorcerer is victorious but severly weakened. he returnes to his home a broken man both physicly and spiritly, for he never intended for there to be a fight. At any rate he has been unable to leave his home ever sense and has faded from common knowledge.

further Ideas:
    He still lives, consumed with guilt and remorce.
    One posibility could be the item is a cursed Tov item.

just throwing out some ideas, hope they make sense.
    Mark

PS: please over look my bad spelling rolleyes
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:00 pm  

Thmpr wrote:
    I am thinking of a different take on him...

I like it! I only wish I was the kind of DM who could pull off this kind of heart-rending, pathos-laden sort of thing. I've never been very good at that kind of story, whether I'm DMing or just writing fiction.

Your idea brings up two issues I wish were more fully addressed in RPGs, especially in the latest crop of games: 1) I - and I suspect a lot of other DMs - could use a few pointers on injecting a little emotion/pathos into our games. I don't want to turn it into a soap opera, but a little more emotional involvement could be good, and 2) It would be really nice to have some workable, reasonable rules concerning permanent injuries, especially of the "broken spirit" type. 3.5e just has too many ways to reverse injuries, older versions of D&D don't really cover the issue well at all, and games like Rolemaster, et al, are just too rules- and table-intensive.

Thus, while I like the idea of a broken-down Touv wizard returning to his home filled with regret, I don't know if I could pull it off. I could of course add all that into his backstory (and very well might), but NPCs who are too dependent on provoking the players' emotional involvement is just something I'm not good at playing. I could easily use the idea in fiction, but knowing my skills I'd likely botch it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:57 pm  

About putting some emotional pull into a game: a damsel in distress work pretty well. My players got into a fight in Verbobonc and were thrown into jail. A young lady who was studying to be a lawyer named Allison was to present their case. The individual who the party got into a fight with that had them land in jail was Rannos. I placed Rannos as the guild master of a teamsters guild, so he had some pull politically. Anyway, Allison alluded to them that people who messed with Rannos always seemed to disappear or dropped their complaints against him. Allison was the daughter of the former captain of the guard, Garreth, who used to be an adventurer himself. So, it was also discovered that the judge hearing the case was corrupt and was in the pocket of Rannos.

Another example: one of the PCs died. He was brought back to life, but the cleric doing the raising cautioned him that since he had no patron god, then Death (Nerull) will come for him and the PC would have to strike his own bargain. Nerull asked the PC to 'replace' himself in the afterlife by taking the life of someone who is of at least equal skill as himself, that way he doesn't just kill some elderly man who agreed to be euthanized (although that would add A LOT of drama to a game, especially if euthanasia is illegal in your game).

Those of some of the things I did in my game. Lemme know if you want some more ideas: Ufftaa@gmail.com

ciao!
    The Grey Mouser
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 am  

Thanks, but it's not emotional plot points that I lack. Rather, it's the skill to effectively pull them off. For example, how does one inspire players to have sympathy for the villain they're fighting? How does one convince players to feel affection for the elderly king they're guarding? How does one provoke an emotional involvement with characters and situations that goes beyond mere roleplaying?

Please note I'm not saying my players don't usually have at least some degree of emotional involvement, or that they don't know how to roleplay. Nor am I saying I don't know how to get them involved with the campaign. Rather, I'm admitting I haven't yet mastered the art of tugging at their heartstrings - at least, not in the artistic and thoroughly dramatic way I've seen some other DMs do it. Anger, I can do. And fear, and hatred, and most of the other, more basic emotions. But love, sympathy, pathos, etc. - not only are these less than common as gaming fare, they're harder to evoke in real life much less during a game.

I appreciate the thought, though.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:55 pm  

Hmm, you do that by acting out the character. Reflecting the NPC's mannerisms is a great way, so is the inflections in the voice. You mentioned other DMs and how well they pulled it off in their games, think about what the DM did to have his/her players respond the way that they did.

My NPCs that my players respond to in that way know that the NPC really wants them to succeed. BTW, I'm running the ToEE too.

ciao!
    The Grey Mouser
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:02 pm  

I suppose I just haven't got the knack for that sort of thing. I guess that's one award I won't be winning any time soon: Most Pathos-Inspiring (or should that be "Pathetic?" "Pathological?" "Pathogenic," maybe?) DM.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: