Canonfire :: View topic - WG6 and X1
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    WG6 and X1
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 am  
    WG6 and X1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_the_Ape

says:

Further history of the Isle of the Ape was revealed in Dungeon Issue #143, where the origins of the tribe residing on the isle are determined to originate from the Isle of Dread.[6]

So, what is the connection? I don't think that this implies the Isle of the Ape is a Mystara island because that would make Mystara a plane within the Castle Greyhawk and demi-planes aren't supposed to be that big. Or is the assumpiton that the X1 module is placed in Greyhawk instead? Anyone have access to Dungeon 143?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:41 am  
    Isle of the Ape/ Dread

To the best of my knowledge, the Isle of the Ape has long been a Demiplane that was accessed from at least one portal known to exist in Greyhawk, specifically at Zagig's Castle.

I think the link between the natives is because they are of a racial type that we would associate with "pacific islanders", "carribean islanders" or some such in the real world. That means in Greyhawk, they would share ancestry with the Olman.

I am looking at the magazine now ... but I am having a difficult time finding anywhere the Isle of the Ape is connected to the Isle of Dread. The magazine itself contains an adventure that is set on the Isle of Dread (which much of the Savage Tide Adventure Path did), and a great "Backdrop" article on the settlement of Farshore itself. but, i can't figure out for the ife of me why the two would connected ... unless ... Shocked Shocked Shocked

What if the Isle of Dread actauly is the Isle of the Ape?!!! <gasp!> Shocked Kidding, obviously. Wink

Seriously though ... I can't find the connection ... now my curiousity is up, and I am giong to have to research it!! Unless, of course some wonderful person happens to find the thread and offers up an answer ... and there is also the possibility that the person who wrote the article (which was neither Rasgon no Robbastard, so far as I know) was just positivly bonkers.

Either that, or I'm bonkers. ... there's no telling. Shocked Wink
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:50 am  

Looks like there were a few contributors, but a "Turlo Lomon" seems to have done the most work. Anyone know who he is? Confused

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Site Theocrat

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:17 pm  
    MystOerth

Hi all -
    ChatDemon Rich once did a map of Mysta and Oerth. It might be in my www.GreyhawkOnline.com/maps section.
    Anyway, we're currently playing Savage Tide AP from Dungeon Magazine.
    I haven't read it. But it is all about the Isle of Dread. The DM that is playing it is a Mystara fan. But since it's a deader world than Greyhawk, he plays Greyhawk. But aside that, X1 Isle of Dread was a Basic Dungeons & Dragons module meaning that it is indeed a Mystara location.
    But because the IoD was placed in Greyhawk with the Savage Tide module - the IoD occupies both aspects of their worlds. I would not say that what happens on Greyhawk's IoD happens on Mystara's IoD (otherwise Scarlett Brotherhood would be attacking Mystara, I'm sure), but there must be some place where the two intersect. Much like a doorway via Planescape. Now I don't know anything about Planescape but from what I've been told it would be something like that. An alternate universe - except with just this one Isle that reaches into both Prime Material Planes.
    This of course is further evidenced by Savage Tides reference of Raxshata's (I don't know if I'm spelling them right or not - the Rackshata's that aren't evil like the normal LE ones - but more like Catfolk) being listed in the Savage Tide as being 'extinct' or as a 'fairy tale' because they do exist in Mystara.
    In the end, I do not know if this is clears anything up or if it makes it all a bit more cloudy.
    Be Well. Be Well Intersected.
    Theocrat Issak

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:26 pm  
    Re: WG6 and X1

Raymond wrote:
    So, what is the connection? I don't think that this implies the Isle of the Ape is a Mystara island because that would make Mystara a plane within the Castle Greyhawk and demi-planes aren't supposed to be that big. Or is the assumpiton that the X1 module is placed in Greyhawk instead? Anyone have access to Dungeon 143?

Yes, the assumption is that the Isle of Dread is an island in the Densac Gulf. It was placed on Oerth in Dungeon Magazine and used prominently in the Savage Tide Adventure Path. I wouldn't necessarily assume there's any connection or portal to the Mystaran version,

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Isle_of_Dread
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:55 pm  

So the only real linkage is the name?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:08 pm  
    Isle of the Ape/ Dread

Question Question I'm still confused what the Isle of the Ape has to do with the Isle of Dread, and how that would tie into Dungeon magazine #143, not to mention the Savage Tide adventure Path that it contains, or where it came from that the two are connected. Question Question

Cry Dazed and confused. Cry
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:14 pm  

manus-nigrum wrote:
    So the only real linkage is the name?

Greyhawk's Isle of Dread is based on the X1 Isle of Dread; they have essentially the same map, names of the native tribes, etc. They're nearly identical, although the Paizohawk Isle of Dread material goes into a lot more detail and adds things like a subterranean aboleth city and an aspect of Demogorgon.

I'd say they aren't connected physically or through a portal or dimensional rift (unless you want them to be, of course), but they have much more in common than their names.

The idea would seem to be that Zagyg abducted some Olman from the Isle of Dread and used them to populate his demiplane. I don't know what the source for this is, but if true it would seem likely that he took dinosaurs from the Isle of Dread as well. They're both very similar "lost world" settings.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 pm  
    Sources...

It sounds like someone writing that wiki article made an assumption and that most people using the Isle of Dread in their Greyhawk campaign dump the island in without worrying about it's original suggestion to use it in a Mystara setting.
    Sage of Canonfire

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01 am  

As the author of the articles and the link implied in the first post, I can confirm (as Rason implies) that yes, the flora, fauna, and natives of the Isle of the Ape were taken from Oerth's Isle of Dread by Zagyg (a hook in the backdrop implies a possible adventure tie, including an Ape-like Figurine of Wondrous Power.)

I placed the Isle of Dread on Oerth, under the argument that every world has one (a Lost World, or Skull Island, if you will)....and so ours is a reimagining of the original X1, with the Olman as the basis of the native culture and a genuinely Greyhawk back story.

So while there are great similarities between the two Isles of Dread, they are not the same place, nor share a physical connection.
    Novice

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 am  

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd chime in here to mention that David Howery's adventure "The Land of Men With Tails" from Dungeon #56 DOES feature a portal to the Isle of the Ape...

-RSM
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: