Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Any users of Obsidian Portal?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Any users of Obsidian Portal?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:21 pm  
    Any users of Obsidian Portal?

Hi all,

I'm considering of taking my Greyhawk campaign to Obsidian Portal for the convenience of my players.

I really like the idea of them being able to research topics over the course of our 14 years of game history in the style of a wiki, rather than asking me or combing through archive files.

I am not sure I like the idea of keeping my info on a exterior machine. I wouldn't want it to be the only source in case of server problems, etc., and I'm not sure I want to update everything in duplicate locations (my own notes and the campaign site).

Since the "default" for the free campaign is "public," I wonder how much the general public can alter wiki entries.

I can't find anywhere on the site where it says how much the subscription is if I want to pay for enhanced service.

So, I am just wondering whether anyone out there has used this, as a DM or player, and anything you can tell me about it?
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:17 pm  

HI,

I am not using obsidient portal for my campaign simply because at the time the message board option was not free - now it is. It was costing around 20$ (I don't remember if it was per user per year or for life) but my group decided not to use it.

On the other hand, we are using a PHP board similar to CanonFire and we are liking it and using it. We mainly use it for sharing information about game play, house rules and stuff like that. We also use it for "online roleplay" or should I said interaction between players and NPC between game sessions.

As for documents, even if I would be using OP, I woudl keep personal copies of everything. Whatever I upload/share on similar site is in quote public information that my players can find, have access or already know and is for reference only. This way there is no chance of publishing something I don't want my players to see to soon...

But, from my early test, OP is a good site to share information. If your campaign as been running for the past 14 years, then in my opinion it will be very time consuming to populate such a site, but in the end maybe it will be easier for your player, especially if you are playing with computer - they will be able to find their own answer to historical questions.

With my group, we are playing with laptop, there is always one player "nominated" to take note and publish them if needed for the others. I think wiht OP this can be achieve easily and would lesset the burden for you.

Anyway, my take for you would be to try it, wost case you donT' like it and stop using it.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:10 pm  

Thanks Fran!

I actually found Obsidian Portal while doing a google image search for Tenser. I landed on a "Adventures in Greyhawk" campaign on Obsidian Portal. I like the wiki-style NPC descriptions...but I wonder how legal it is to put up artwork, text descriptions, and such IP material on a public site. Then again, I don't understand how the Greyhawk Wiki is legal either!
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Master Greytalker

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:20 pm  

Fran_Horace wrote:
    If your campaign as been running for the past 14 years, then in my opinion it will be very time consuming to populate such a site,

Yes and no. While there certainly would be extensive material to upload, it would be very little original writing - just copy-pasting text that already exists. My campaign has been internet-based for the last thirteen years of RT so I have lots and lots of e-files: it is managing/organizing them all in a format that is accessible to the players that I find attractive. At present I am e-mailing word documents all the time.

Ideally, if I paid for the subscription I would be able to designate access to files, such that each player would be able to see a slightly different set of information. Although I don't know if that is actually how the site works.

The seven RT years prior to going internet based was all live pen-and paper: I need to get these notes to computer at some point anyway.

It definitely would be a project of summer-break scale to begin, but doesn't seem like it would be time consuming to maintain once I had a good start on it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:32 am  
    Obsidian Portal

I have been looking into OP recently as a reference site for a new campaign. The free side appears to be excellent, if limited in the number of maps you can post per campaign and the number of campaigns you can have listed at once. The cost is $40 per year for the "enhanced" membership and allows you to set the campaign access away from public. It discusses the differences when you ask to upgrade. You have to sign in as a free member to get the option to upgrade. It appears that only the DM needs to upgrade if you want it private. He can then invite any free member he wants. It looks like a useful campaign reference tool for live RPing and a good tool for Play by Post gaming as well. My two commons.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:12 am  
    Re: Obsidian Portal

Artalian wrote:
    My two commons.

Thanks Artalian, much appreciated!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: