JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Evard and Thornward
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Evard and Thornward
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:28 pm  
    Evard and Thornward

Any info out there about Evard and his Insurrection in Thornward?Even info on Evard himself would be useful.
    GreySage

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:23 pm  

That's something particular to the Living Greyhawk campaign, I think. The March of Bissel Omnibus for Living Greyhawk had some information on that.

"The strange mixture of fighting skills and arcane magic wielded by the hexblade is not unknown within the March of Bissel, for it is well known that Evard employed hexblades as elite commanders of the Army of the Black Margrave."

"Since its creation, the Great Army has served as a combination defense and police force, maintaining order in the Margrave’s name. Their first victory occurred at the Battle of Swordfields, where the Army managed to rescue Baron Valiserat from the derro who had captured and experimented on him. As a result, the Margrave has ordered two Battles from Thornward redeployed to the Principality of Ulek and Geoff, where they provide aid to the beleaguered citizens of those nations. The forces that were deployed to the Principality of Ulek were subsequently recalled due to an act of war by Evard, the Necromancer. The Great Army gave an
    excellent accounting for itself in defense of Bissel, and Evard was finally defeated in the Battle Under the Dome, late in 595 CY."

"After the Necromancer Insurrection, worship of Pelor became more
    ingrained in the populace, as many sought protection from the undead hordes of Evard from the priesthood of Pelor."

"The Great Army continued its successes on the battlefield where it easily defeated undead forces organized near the town of Clunther. However, this turned out to be a feint, as Evard had conspired with fanatical Ur-Flan priests to flood the Shala River and flood the town of Clunther. Bissel’s army did not see the cowardly attack coming, and took significant losses, though no loss was as significant as the complete destruction of Clunther and all the innocent lives who lived there. It was then that the Battle stationed in the Principality of Ulek was recalled to its homeland. The Great Army steeled itself against the coming of Evard, who took control of Thornward at the end of 594 CY."

"The necromantic Insurrection of CY 580 devastated the barony of Wynith. The forces of Evard were defeated, but at great cost. Some realized that another uprising could lay waste to the entire March and
    they decided to do something about it. Mages and clerics came together and formed the Nightwatch, taking the name of the newly renamed barony. Magic, the force that almost destroyed Bissel, would become its salvation."

"580 CY: Attempted insurrection by necromancers, tied to the evil wizard-lord Evard, is defeated. Results in suppression of fringe groups and passionate enforcement of treason and sedition laws."

"Patchwall 591 CY: During the Battle of Arvinshire, it is made clear that Evard the Necromancer has truly returned. Mandatory military service is announced."

"Readying 594 CY: In the same month that Evard’s sister, Saralind Markavan, is discovered alive, Pellak is attacked by unknown fiends. There is little doubt that Evard is behind this attack."

"Reaping 594 CY: A large force of undead launches an attack on the Township of Clunther. A branch of Bissel’s Great Army meets them and the undead force is handily defeated. However, Evard’s attack proves to be a feint when the Necromancer and his Ur-flan allies conjure a huge wave of water that destroys the township of Clunther and kills many of Bissel’s bravest soldiers."

"Goodmonth 594 CY: The Battle dispatched to the Principality of Ulek is recalled to Bissel in order to aid with the effort against Evard."

"Sunsebb 594 CY: A sneak attack by Evard leaves Thornward completely in the Necromancer’s control."

"Early 595 CY: Evard controls Thornward but declares it to be a Free City, and allows the trade traffics to continue. Several Thornward residents depart, fearing the draconian rule of the Necromancer. Meanwhile, Evard makes plans for the undead armies to stream forth and finish their conquest of Bissel."

"Reaping 595 CY Midsummer: Evard’s forces have struck out southward, moving at will. The army makes a stand at the village of Sholem in southern Munderik. The advantage is Evard’s, and the army of Bissel must make a tactical withdrawl."

"Ready’reat 595 CY: By Ready’reat (Autumn) the fight against Evard has become hopeless. The army has spent many resources developing a weapon of positive energy to oppose the Necromancer. The weapon’s deployment is nearly disrupted, but its effectiveness is staggering: much of
    Evard’s forces are destroyed."

"Sunsebb 595 CY: The Great Army begins a full frontal assault on the walls of Thornward. The armies of the Black Margrave fall back, but this move proves to be a feint designed to lure the army into a trap: a dome of crackling black energy appears over the city preventing the army’s escape.

"The army fights back and Evard is slain primarily through the sacrifice of two soldiers, Nym Greenbottle and Mason DeVillars, who die in a terrible explosion."

And there's some more in that source too.

HOWEVER, Dungeon #107 included a completely different take on Evard, in which he was not a necromancer and not responsible for any sort of insurrection or conquest of Thornward. In that article, he's portrayed as a sinister information broker. He's still a minor noble in the March of Bissel, but he's not necessarily an antagonist. He'll sell information to anyone if the price is right, including the PCs. He knows as much of arcane and historical matters as most sages, and he controls a network of informants that usually know anything he doesn't. He'll betray anyone, and he keeps his allies under control through fear and blackmail, but he's still useful. He's charming, and he knows secrets, including dark ones, that no other NPC would reasonably know. He likes to keep his allies depending on them, convincing them that they need him a lot more than he needs them.

And he's a conjurer (16th level), not a necromancer. The Dungeon #107 version of Evard is unlikely to ever start a war - it'd be bad for business.

There's a wiki article on him.
    GreySage

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:55 pm  

Oh, okay, I notice the insurrection of the necromancers, "possibly tied to the plight of an evil, disgraced wizard-lord known as Evard," is mentioned in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, too.

And I notice that one of those necromancers, Nyeru, is currently posing as the Mage of the Valley. There's more on Nyeru and his confederates in Oerth Journal #18. Evard isn't mentioned in OJ #18; if he's involved, he's probably a shadowy behind-the-scenes figure controlling the necromancers through blackmail and extortion. He's careful not to let anyone prove his involvement, so he doesn't get driven out of Bissel. And he's not a necromancer himself.

One thing, I'd like to tie the insurrection of the necromancers in to the evil magi that were supposed to have created the Tome of the Black Heart before they were destroyed by the Mage of the Valley, according to Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure. I'm not sure what the connection would be, exactly; clearly it's not the exact same magi, but perhaps they belong to the same tradition, cult, or school. And maybe Evard was trained by the same group. Or maybe he only became involved with them in order to learn more about the Tome of the Black Heart.

There's nothing on the insurrection in Dungeon #107. It's possible Evard wasn't even involved, but was only blamed for it.

Evard is mentioned in Living Greyhawk Journal #0 as an enemy of Mordenkainen. Perhaps Evard betrayed or tried to blackmail Mordenkainen sometime in the past, or maybe Mordenkainen is jealous of or worried about Evard's network of informants. Maybe they both were after the Tome of the Black Heart.
    GreySage

Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:23 am  

I can easily imagine that Evard is the reason why the necromancer insurrection of 580 CY failed, actually. He might have become frustrated with their level of cooperation, or perhaps the government of Bissel simply paid him more, and betrayed the necromancers before their plans could come to fruition.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:03 am  

rasgon wrote:
    I can easily imagine that Evard is the reason why the necromancer insurrection of 580 CY failed, actually. He might have become frustrated with their level of cooperation, or perhaps the government of Bissel simply paid him more, and betrayed the necromancers before their plans could come to fruition.

Thank you Rasgon I knew I could count on you guys. I have had a hard time finding any info other than short mentions in different places. I have to say I like him being a behind the scenes kind of guy as that might make him a good foil in my Thornward game. Especially if everyone thinks he's dead now. And the Battle as described in the LG campaign works for the background of my game and I even needed a reason to have part of the city to have been blown up recently so that works just fine. Thanks again.

Also I found reference to Evard being the Cousin of Bucknard here http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=606 So maybe he has an axe to grind with Mordy because of something that happened with his cousin.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:04 am  

Mike Johnson rebuilt the Evard from Dungeon #107. The statblock is available here.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: