Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - World of Greyhawk/ Canonfire annual gathering?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    World of Greyhawk/ Canonfire annual gathering?

Would you be interested in attending an annual Canonfire gathering?
    Yes
    82%
     82%  [ 23 ]
    No
    10%
     10%  [ 3 ]
    Do not want to be associated with miscreants like you all.
    7%
     7%  [ 2 ]
    Total Votes : 28

Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 am  
    World of Greyhawk/ Canonfire annual gathering?

Several of us have been discussing a potential annual Canonfire gathering. I have put forth that I have seen some excellent submissions here at Canonfire and would like to see them play out and perhaps an unofficial/ Canonfire timeline created for Greyhawk.

I think that it would inspire many to create additional great works for submission as well.

I propose an annual gathering and perhaps some online gaming to include those that reside outside the U.S. that are unable to attend.

Anyone interested?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:45 pm  

i would love to play by forum, as i dont have contitions to play other ways with you guys :(
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:59 pm  

Couldn't something be held via Vent or TeamSpeak or something similar?

Would loose on the face to face interaction, but cheese doodles, Mountain Dew and gratuitous bouts of gas are still possible, just like a regular group.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:36 pm  

Sounds good, i might get a few new ideas for my players and GIVES ME A CHANCE TO PLAY NOT DM!!!!!!! Smile
    Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:43 pm  

A bold idea, milord. On that topic, Gencon is a place I semi-regularly attend. Such an event is good for formal and informal gatherings in a gaming environment. As for online campaigns/events I know people I've talked to want to do this as well, but the duties take some dedication and initiative. And a canonfire timeline? This concept I would be keen to discuss more...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:16 pm  

I always want to go to a gathering (Be it Gen-con or Origins or smaller ones) but in most cases it's a no-go for me. Lacking the time or the ability to get to the gathering point but that never changes my desire to want to go.

On a only vaguely connected subject I do Play and DM in online games that take place in a chatroom (sometimes in Maptools depending). I know this isn't what the OP meant but it is at least some form of gathering.

In fact my current Greyhawk game is run in a chat room and (if everyone shows) takes place tonight.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:31 pm  

I'm up for it. However, I live in Los Angeles, so if it is out of state, travel will be an issue for me.

ciao!
    The Grey Mouser
    CF Admin

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:55 pm  

I'd be willing to attend, time/$$$ permitting.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:59 pm  

Italy here. Overseas flight would be a major issue I'm afraid :(
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 am  

I'd be keen for a skype game for the asia/pacific members. The more experience for me in this relm the better.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:00 am  

rossik, JohnD, GreyMouser, MToscan, Donkas - Great, that is why I suggested an online part

Jyg - that is exactly what I meant, I am not a computer genius, just a user. I would propose that we use something simple and hopefully free so that everyone can be included.

Mortellan - That is exactly why I made this proposal. Gencon is something that some of us can get together at, and it would give me a reason to start attending again.

I like alot of what I see submitted here and think it is a shame that it is not "canon". I think alot of what is submitted is better than some of the actual "canon", but that is just my humble opinion.

I believe that Greyhawk will continue and become a better campaign world if the people who use it for their gaming sessions have some input into how it will be shaped. I regret that I was not part of the Living Greyhawk campaign but from what I understand of it, I think it was a great idea. I am not proposing something of that scale but something similiar.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:15 am  

Just some ideas:

- Have online game sessions that play out some of the excellent submissions that we see. They would include some of the short stories, adventures, ideas or anything else submitted. Once the adventure is over, incorporate it into a timeline of some kind and show how it effects the world or how it doesn't.

- a poll on ideas of which way certain major ideas could change the world. For example, (example don't flame me for writing this) "Should Iuz be killed off?" I think that if we poll people here we would get some excellent ideas. I believe alot of people here know more about Greyhawk than those who write the official "canon". And I believe that if you are going to modernize/change/modify something, you first ask those who know the most about it. Again, this is not official canon and no one has to accept it but I think it would be an excellent exercise that would generate some great adventures.

- get together once a year to play out some of the major adventures that are generated by the polls. For example, a group of adventurers go to slay Iuz.

Again, these are just some ideas to generate some discussion.

Last edited by Lord_Percard on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:18 am  

I've been running online games (loosely) based in GH for years, now. My current game "Heirs of Turucambi" is a chat-based game (same server as #greytalk) set beneath the surface of the Solnor Ocean (thus the loosely-based part). I have been giving thought to running my all-animal campaign "Nature of the Beast" as a d20/OGL game run via MapTool.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:38 am  

Aeolius - that is exactly what I am talking about, thanks. That is a great idea and one that I would be interested in gaming. I personally, as a DM, have never thought of creating an adventure like that, but think it is an excellent idea.

If I may, I would like to use your adventure as an example. A fan creates an adventure like your "Heirs of Turucambi". Grehawk fans game this adventure which produces certain results. These results and perhaps portions of the adventure get incorporated into the Canonfire unofficial "canon"/ timeline. Much like how Greyhawk was originally created.

Greyhawk is an expansive world with tremendous amounts of territory and history that has been left untouched by official canon. I believe that there is no reason not to create some fan-based "unofficial" canon based upon this foundation. I believe that it will inspire others to create even more.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 am  

The unofficial timeline sounds like a cool idea, but I'd also like to see an expanded timeline filling in some of events not included in Steve Wilson's Greychrondex, and with more easily referenced citations. I've been working on something like this on my own, and rasgon and Rob have also done some of this at the timeline on the wiki, but a comprehensive work would be really cool. Of course we could easily use the timeline on the wiki as a basis for doing this.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:22 am  

Absolutely smillan, this can be as complex or simple as we all want it to be. We can cover years or areas with simple notes or indepth day by day accounts with individual names.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 am  

Like MToscan i´m up for it too... but i won't be able to attend. I live in small small Denmark.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:09 pm  

Thats pretty ambitious, I like it. I'm down for something like that. Keep me informed.
    CF Admin

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:14 pm  

There are a large number of conventions that I can think of where we could hold the "Canonfire! Open Greyhawk tournament" (or whatever it ends up being called):

- GenCon
    - Origins
    - DragonCon
    - DunDraCon
    - North TX RPG Con
    - GaryCon
    - etc.

The harder part would be putting the tournament together, but it's certainly do-able with the proper coordination of writers, playtesters, and DMs who'll be available at each con to run the events.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:46 pm  

Well if we make it an online meeting, I will certainly attend. I can take a cam and plan things so I can be online even if it happens in the middle of the night :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:24 am  

Way to go MToscan, I really like your ambition.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:33 am  

Right now there are 19 people interested in attending and annual event and several people have mentioned an online event.

I am willing to start organizing something but I have never done something like this before so I ask if anyone else has and will they be willing to help me out with some advice and time.

With alot of the Greyhawk fans being outside the USA, I would like to propose an online event or events with an annual get together at one of the conventions.

I think the convention thing would be the simpliest because it would be just a decision on which one to attend and then posting it. I will also contact the event and see if it is possible to obtain a space for actual meeting/ gaming. (Never done this before so do not know what will be needed) Anyone done this before?

The online thing is where I have very limited knowledge. I have never hosted something like it and will need some help. One of my players is in IT and I will ask him to help.

Any other suggestions?
    Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:55 am  

Gathering online to just chat is nothing new for canonfire. We have an irc channel (listed on the left) that many here go to every Thursday (or like myself near-daily). As I am not up on new technology, this does sound low-tech for what online eventing this thread must be aspiring to. Keep it rolling.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:28 am  

Sorry, probably wasn't clear.

I would like to see some online gaming to include those outside the US and then an annual get together for some gaming.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:20 am  

Okay, I guess the next order of business is to see if anyone is willing to DM an online game of one of their submissions.

Anyone?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: