Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Whither Orlane Before the War?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Whither Orlane Before the War?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 am  
    Whither Orlane Before the War?

Thinking of starting a campaign using N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God. Just wondering ... who has claim to Orlane around the year 576? Geoff or Gran March?
    GreySage

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:43 am  

The module makes it sound like it's something of a no man's land between Gran March and Keoland, actually. It's a wild, recently settled region, vulnerable to humanoid raids, a point of light in the wilderness. I'm sure it technically answers to the Black Lion Throne, but in practicality it runs itself, and receives no help or hindrance from outsiders. Its isolation is part of what makes it vulnerable.

Another question: is Merikka still a prisoner of Castle Greyhawk during this period? My guess would be yes; it would explain how a heretical monster cult was able to take such firm hold over one of her temples. It's my preferred explanation, anyway.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:26 am  

It reads to me like it's supposed to be part of Gran March. Orlane was founded by explorers from Hochoch "a generation ago". However, the lack of any mention of Geoff leads me to believe that Doug Niles considered Hochoch to be part of Gran March. As rasgon pointed out, of course, the settlement is self-determining in all but name.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    The module makes it sound like it's something of a no man's land between Gran March and Keoland, actually. It's a wild, recently settled region, vulnerable to humanoid raids, a point of light in the wilderness. I'm sure it technically answers to the Black Lion Throne, but in practicality it runs itself, and receives no help or hindrance from outsiders. Its isolation is part of what makes it vulnerable.

Another question: is Merikka still a prisoner of Castle Greyhawk during this period? My guess would be yes; it would explain how a heretical monster cult was able to take such firm hold over one of her temples. It's my preferred explanation, anyway.

Man, you hit on everything I was going to contribute to answering this question. This is exactly how I've run the scenario on three seperate occasions.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 pm  

Well, the border between the Gran March and Geoff is the Realstream. Hochoch is on the west side of the Realstream; Orlane is to the east.

That puts it in the Gran March, technically, although I think the module implies the whole Rushmoors region isn't really controlled by any nation, but exists in a murky border realm between Keoland and the Gran March.

I don't think Douglas Niles necessarily thought Hochoch was part of the Gran March; I don't think the Orlaneans' nation of origin is relevant to determining where they live now. It's not entirely irrelevant, but I don't think the settlers in Orlean intended to challenge the March's claim to the territory east of the Realstream.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:56 pm  

When our group ran the adventure it was a no-man's land. Later on, one of the PCs returned to build there name-level keep in the area and by default became the only local lord with any sort of influence of the area. Though they didn't lay claim to Orlane specifically, they did received support from the local community in the form of supplies for the garrison of the keep which patrolled the area to keep everyone safe. Sort of a psuedo-feudal relationship, so we classified Orland as a protectorate. The PC's forces eventually came to patrol a domain of roughly 8 hexes(see pic hereafter). As we played it, the politics of the region had more to do with staying on good terms with the city of Hochoch and the elves of the Dim Forest than with the central governments of the Grand March, Geoff, or Keoland. The increased patrols of the PC's forces saw improved safety for merchants and less monsters running amok from bases in the Rushmoors and the Dim Forest, so Orlane, Hochoch and the elves of the Dim Forest were happy enough with the arrangement. The protectorate area became known as the Greensward. We never played this area up to the point of the giants incursion to the west, the Greyhawk Wars, or the later liberation of Hochoch by armies of the Gran March. Would have been interesting. Cool

One other note: as is, the adventure is a bit brutal in certain places for an all 1st level party. 2nd to 3rd level parties will have a good time though and likely won't be TPK'd. Wink

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:37 pm  

The region is definitely part of Gran March, though not always clearly. The March also has ownership of the Rushmoors, as it is a region the Keoish dont want. It is kind of like northern Mexico and southern Texas in US history, the governments would both prefer the other to have it. These statements are grounded in canon, but I dont have my books here to give the references. The reference are somewhat obscure, and if it doesnt fit your campaign, dont use it.

However, if the region around Orlane was part of Geoff, the Geoff government would have retreated there, and set up resistance.

This is one of my favorite regions to game in, so I hope you have fun.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 am  

Anced_Math wrote:
    The region is definitely part of Gran March, though not always clearly. The March also has ownership of the Rushmoors, as it is a region the Keoish dont want. It is kind of like northern Mexico and southern Texas in US history, the governments would both prefer the other to have it. These statements are grounded in canon, but I dont have my books here to give the references.

Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, p. 153
    "The marsh is claimed by Gran March, but little is done with it as it is filled with monsters such as otyughs, froghemoths, and large reptiles."

Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting, p. 52
    "This area forms part of the northern border of Keoland and is part of the unclaimed region consisting of the central Dim Forest, eastern Oytwood, and the Rushmoors."

There's nothing about ownership mentioned in the From the Ashes entry.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:27 pm  

I still dont have my books (trapped out of town due to snow). Amitage, I remember those quotes, and you are right they do not assure ownership. I will have to get home to find the clearer quotes. I think they are in the Keoland section, but I will have to find them. Maybe in the original 79 Folio? It will probably be a week before I can look them up. I should also say that these lands are "claimed," by the March, not necessarily "ruled," by the March. . This is particularly true of the Dim Forest, the Rushmoors, and the Lortmils.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: