Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Is this the right place?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Is this the right place?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:57 pm  
    Is this the right place?

Hi all

I recently started a second edition Greyhawk game after a long lay off from D&D. I would like to know if it would be ok to post about the details of the game I am running & draw on the experance of the menbers of this site. I am not sure this is the right forum for this or another place on this site would be better. I am running a bunch of new players through U1-3 & they seem to have the D&D bug. I would love to add all the layers of detail to my game that you all seem to have in your home games.
    If this is the right place let me know & I will post the details of my recent session

Thanks all
    Kev
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:12 pm  

This happens all the time here. I have done it myself.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:18 pm  

If there is only going to be campaign discussion this forum is fine. If there is going to be a lot of 2E rules discussion mixed in with campaign discussion then the 2E forum would be better. Let me know which of these descriptions best characterizes what you will be going for in this thread and I will move it, if needed.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:02 pm  

Its going to be an overview of the ongoing game with recaps of the sessions and then some previews of whet isto come next...this is where I will be asking for advice & ideas...there may be some rules questions but that will not be the main reason for the thread...let me get some notes together & I will post tommorow or monday
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:41 pm  

Ok here it goes

The group currently consists of four players
    all 4 a CG

A human Druid Named Holly with a pet sleek (2nd edition MM pg241) Named Hymie
    I use the first edition Druid class
    Holly used an animal friendship spell to teach Hymie to
    pick pockets 65%
    chew through ropes
    hid on command
    Holly carrys a sling & Quaterstaff, wears leather armor & shield
    Spells normally carried are Shillelagh X 2, Detect magic, speak with animals

Half elf Thief/Mage named Dusk
    Dusk parents were in the enploy of King Belvor before the Greyhawk wars and thier estate was over run ont the first day of the invation. Her mother had used a wish from a ring that she had prepared in advance to get her out of the war zone and not allow her to return for five years.
    This will become a major polt point later in the game if I have my way

Dusk fights 2 handed with two daggers and where no armor so she can fully employ her magic. Her thief skills are heavy in the move silently & hide in shadows stats.

I used the wisdom table for spell bounuses for mages but using the INT score she has a 16 INT so she starts with three extra spells.

Spells nomally carried Shield X 2, Sleep

Likes to sneak around avoinds direct combat, Carries Daggers & a Short Bow.

Elf Fighter/Mage
    Has a 19 Dex & double specelized in one handed weapons so has a good AC with no armor(Rolled the Three 6's naturally belive it or not)

Spells carried, Shield, magic Missle, Sleep

Carries Long sword & Long Bow

1/2 Oger Fighter Priest of Gaerdal Ironhand St 18(63)
    Raised by Wise woman of a Forest Gnome Family who found him in woods after a great battle.

Low wisdom so spell falure is sometimes a problem but the Strenght special is useful

Carries Bastard sword, Composite Long Bow, Spear & War hammer.

ALso carried Dusks leather armour for when she runs out of spells

Loves to charge into a fight

Currently Playing U1 Sinister secret of saltmarsh
    SPOLIERS FOLLOW

Group is in the haunted house looking for some rare books they have been hired to find. Did well in the upper levels finding most of the treasure & working together to beat the nasty critters up there. Found Ned & let him join the group...did not but 2 & 2 toghether when they found his dagger in the fireplace.

Made it down to the pirate lair and hit the pirate gaurd with a sleep spell when he woke up they had searched the Illsionist room & found every thing including his spell books. 1/2 oger insisted on smashing the coffer with the potions. They tryed to make the pirate talk buy threating to throw him in the room marked Danger & he spilled the beans about alot of stuff. When they went into said room Ned locked the door behind them but the pirate they caputred was in the room with them. They polished off the skeletons & found the alchamists lab & all his goodys.

Now they are locked in the skelton room but they have a hostage & the leaders spell book. I am going to have Ned round up the pirates, Gnolls & Leader for a big showdown in the Pirates Baracks.

any ideas how to make this more intesting

I am thinking the leader will not care about the hostage but his ship mates will want him back & the leader would REALLY want his spell book back so he will not want to smoke them out.

Let me know what you think

Kev
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:17 am  

A Gnoll priest of Yeenoghu for a start.
    And remember spellbooks do not only contain spells, but also theories and fragments of experiments, I often use them as hints for new adventures. Some secret diary pages could be contained in the spellbook, pointing out to something that give a complete twist to the story, maybe he's a hidden spy from the Keoish government. Maybe one of the books they're looking form contains information important to a Silent One which has turned evil.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:07 am  

I am alittle hesitant to throw another spell caster at them because the are all first level & out numbered 3 to 1. They bad guys already have the illsionist is already the leader of the pirates they only hope the party has is the smart use of magic & clever negotition to get out of this tough spot. Many I use a gnoll priest down the road....thanks though any other ideas to make it interesting for the players (and myself)
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:04 am  

I have ran this module no less than five times over the years, as it is my favorite module ever.

No two times has the Haunted House been the same twice.

The direction of the campaign dictates mostly how it can end up, but my most recent run through of it, last year, ended up with the smuggler's prioritizing escaping the vicinity of the house in order to err in caution and catching up with the PC's later on.

What happened ultimately was that one smuggler escaped the house and into Saltmarsh. The PC's tracked him down in a Lotus Den (Opium) and beat the crap out of the whole place to get at him. He revealed information regarding the Sea Ghost and its crew.

The party did as the module instructed and tried to infiltrate the Sea Ghost at night. This operation met with little success and once Sigurd Snake-Eyes mounted the deck the fight was over and the party escaped into the night.

During the fight, however, the party wizard managed to charm Bloody Bjorn and they took him with them to answer questions.

Over the next week the PC's, affiliated with the Viscount, announced publicly that they were going to transport the captured smuggler's to Bale Keep's dungeons.

They were "ambushed" on the road by Sigurd and the remaining smugglers, and a terrible battle ensued. The party, ready for the ambush and full of henchmen conscripts, slew the smugglers to a man and then appropriated the Sea Ghost. Then, on the Festival of Frogs (Mardi Gras in Salinmoor in my GH) they burned the Sea Ghost off shore in sight of town as an anti-piracy message.

This lead to a series of attacks on the PC's by pirates, but ultimately (after the knight was kidnapped, tortured, and castrated) the PC's killed off all the pirates and went on to negotiate with lizardmen in the Hool.

If any of that can help you, at least indirectly (they spread knowledge of the spellbook to get Punketah or Sanbalet to go after them on their own terms).

If you want me to detail any of the previous runs through the module, I can.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:21 am  

I would love to hear what happened in your outer run throughs also any detaisl on your city of saltmarsh would be great....I can cherry pick what I think would work with this group and have fun reading about the stuff I dont use..If you have time it would be great

Anyone else who wants to advise would be welcome too

Thanks again
    Kev

Any one in the New Engalnsd area taht wants to play let me know & we can meet up

Thanks Kev
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:21 pm  

I ran Saltmarsh (at least most recently) as a small town of approximately 2,000 people. Most of the buildings were made of stone. The general design was similar to a New England fishing village. Saltmarsh principally trades in salt (from the hool salt marshes in low tide), oysters, clams, and fish.

The entire town was flat, with the quality of houses degrading from stone to wood the closer to the sea (south). The town cemetery is located in the far north, out of the possible flood plane. The mayor's mansion is located about a quarter mile east of town but he does not actually live there, instead leaving it vacant due to his small family and its large size.

The center of town is the crossroads, and area where all of the commerce in Saltmarsh happens. Fresh fish, trade goods, etc are commonly exchanged here. The main highway that runs through the Dreadwood through Burle, down through the West Riding, through Bale Keep, through Saltmarsh, then to Seaton and Gradsul passes right through these Crossroads. There is also a brothel owned by an assassin who uses the girls for information called The Insolent Minx.

On the northeast corner is the Gaol. It is basically a one-story cold stone building shaped sort of like a big rectangle. It is the headquarters of the Saltmarsh Vigilance Committee, aka the Cops. If the PC's get in good with the Mayor, these will be the henchmen. The Gaol has six cells and a small basement chamber.

The docks area is a network of planks and pilons that are so overgrown with greens that they make an underwater labyrinth that reaches out a quarter mile into the sea. Some two-hundred fishing boats regularly make their home here. There are bad things under the docks.

There is an orphanage in town run by a disguised hag. She is largely benevolent, however she seeks to find the last of her hag trio by examining children for years and years.

There is a large complex near the southwest of town called the Slaughterhouse that functions as both a tanner and ferrier as well. Three creepy brothers who secretly worship Pyremius own and operate it. The only animals they butcher are those taken straight from ships as import; there is a ramp leading right to the sea.

There is a small network of sewers in town, all one story down and built from red bricks, they are a remnant of a whole strip of town that burned and was then flooded. They are used as a plot device for breaking into any house in town, they potentially could lead to any of them.

I made a random encounter table for traveling around town at night.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Here is the custom map we made for the game. It is not necessarily canon GH, but it works.

Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:49 pm  

Thansk for the ideas ...I am going to uses alot of them when I de3sign my Salt marsh...I am also going to cherry pick , Secret of bone hill, ToEE and a few villages for Dungon Mag. I am also going to ad a wizards towerwith a 9th level Wizard/level 5 Priest of Zilchus maybe a spesialist of some type who has a goup of 4 5th level underlings & and a bunch of apprenatans that he rents out to captans that can afford them to help deal with weather, sea monsters & pirates He may also have some Clerics of Zilchus & a few druids for for those that can afford them. Maybe some ships security teams made up of teams of fighter or Monks.

The ruller of the shop is going to be CN(G) so a little funny bussiness wont bother him but he will be honest as the day as long with the best intrest of the town at heart...he likes it here and business is good. Seeing where saltmarsh is on a main trading route and water in the area are geting more dangeerous

His prices will be very high...he is used to dealing with well off ship captail but i intent to have a long list of quests he would need acomplished buy someone other than his money making employies. So if you need him there will be a way to pay either in cash or quests. I figure a 5 story tower with a barrcks & other facilities in his compund.

I am goin to make him nothing more than she seems but the poeple he empoyies may be another matter. He will not be a member of the town councel(hates politics) main goal is to make money (To buy or make poitons of longevity)...I may give him some interesting pets. The towns poeple love him because he gives away a free spell once in a while and The temples charge because of the need of income but this guy makes his own money so he is free to follow his better nature(Capitalism at its best)(Good for Bussiness...Good PR) & is fond of children plus brings in ships to port that lay over & spend money.

Owns a small preasure Yatch he keeps out in the bay.

Let me know what you think
    Thanks Kev

Great place for identify, hirlings & info ro anyother magic related needs....at a price.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: