Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sometimes even grognards get teary-eyed...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sometimes even grognards get teary-eyed...
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:41 pm  
    Sometimes even grognards get teary-eyed...

I just gotta share this:

All day my son (age 7) has been working on a "project" in his room that he didn't want anyone to see.

About an hour ago he comes into my office carrying:

A homemade, illustrated "hambook with all the rules,"
    A set of dice,
    A horde of cardboard fold-up minis, and
    A complete dungeon made of legos.

We proceeded to spend all the time between then and now exploring his self-designed level of the "Temple of Elementary Evil" using the rules he spent "a whole hour - maybe four hours" designing. And he was the DM.

I've never been so proud!
    GreySage

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:15 pm  

Way to go "Bubbagump Jr."! Happy

I always knew you were a great Dad, Bubbagump Sr.! You've taught him well! The next generation of Greyhawkers is assured, thanks to you and grodog! Evil Grin

Keep up the EXCELLENT parenting! Happy Cool Wink

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:14 pm  

Thanks, Scholar.

Another cute thing Drew, my youngest, did the other day:

He comes into my office complaining that his brother (Marc) doesn't want to play with him. Knowing that both want to roleplay, and knowing his brother was in a few minutes earlier complaining about the same thing, I tell him, "He does want to play with you, but he said you didn't want to play with him."

He replies, "Yeah, but he don't play right."

I ask, "What do you mean he doesn't 'play right?'"

So he explains, "Marc wants to play with Star Wars guys (miniatures). I keep telling him, 'There's no light sabers in Greyhawk,' but he won't listen!"

I think I'm going to groom him to become the next CEO of WotC. I'm so proud. Marc plays a mean fighter when he wants to, so I guess I'll keep him in the will, too - for now.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:04 pm  

That is an awesome story. Lego-hawk!
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:37 pm  

He did a pretty good job, too. It was playable!
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:06 am  

Now that I think about it, this should probably be in the Back Alley. Sorry, Cebrion.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:30 am  

Maybe your son was looking at page 114 of the old DMG, Gamma World to AD&D Smile
    GreySage

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:49 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    Now that I think about it, this should probably be in the Back Alley. Sorry, Cebrion.

I don't care WHAT forum Cebrion puts this in, I intend to keep following "the game," so keep posting Bubbagump! Wink Cool

*The Scholar has officially adopted Bubbagump's boys, they shall now be called by me -- Nephews! A family of Greyhawkers! Life is GREAT!* Happy Laughing

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:11 pm  

Wow! That's really what it's really all about.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:03 pm  

My 6-years-old son and 5-years-old daughter often play "HeroQuest" (disambiguation) using old MB Hero Quest miniatures, Star Wars PVC miniatures, PVC Gundam Miniatures (from a Japanese tabletop game) and ships from the Pirates! build able ship card game thing.

I bought these magnetic plastic modular dungeon tiles from the local gamestore for $30.00 (there were originally $200.00, but no one wanted them) and gave them to the kids.

I am not sure what their system of dice rolls mean yet, but they clearly do. My son usually wins, unless he feels like being the loser (martyred, I am sure).

I also bought them NERF weaponry. They just released a foam gothic flanged mace I wish I had the money for.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm  

Heh. I got those weapons for my kids. Believe me, you do NOT want to get in a sword fight with my 8-yr-old. That kid is deadly! I shudder to think what he might do if he ever gets his hands on a real weapon.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:41 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    Thanks, Scholar.

He comes into my office complaining that his brother (Marc) doesn't want to play with him. Knowing that both want to roleplay, and knowing his brother was in a few minutes earlier complaining about the same thing, I tell him, "He does want to play with you, but he said you didn't want to play with him."

So he explains, "Marc wants to play with Star Wars guys (miniatures). I keep telling him, 'There's no light sabers in Greyhawk,' but he won't listen!"

I think I'm going to groom him to become the next CEO of WotC. I'm so proud. Marc plays a mean fighter when he wants to, so I guess I'll keep him in the will, too - for now.

So a 4e swordmage with a radiant weapon and maybe a multiclass feat into a psionic class or wizard class for a charm spell isn't a jedi now? Blimey, even in 1e a Rod of Force was a lightsabre wasn't it?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:
    Thanks, Scholar.

So a 4e swordmage with a radiant weapon and maybe a multiclass feat into a psionic class or wizard class for a charm spell isn't a jedi now? Blimey, even in 1e a Rod of Force was a lightsabre wasn't it?

Sorry, 4e is not allowed in my house. I'm raising heroes, not... Well, I'll spare you the rant. Cool
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:27 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:
    Thanks, Scholar.

Sorry, 4e is not allowed in my house. I'm raising heroes, not... Well, I'll spare you the rant. Cool
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:11 pm  

That was so poignant he had to say it twice!
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:30 am  

chaoticprime wrote:

Tee hee. I've enjoyed every edition and they've all been flawed in one respect or another but then that was why I mentioned the Rod of Force from Unearthed Arcana 1e to cover my indiscretion. Evil Grin Actually, my 2e shadow mage has only just become playable again after being ruined by 3e so 4e is fine by me at the moment.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 am  

My son will be learning the Rules Cyclopedia first, I think.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:57 am  

bubbagump wrote:

"...and so it was that Marc was quietly disowned, and was forever after the black sheep of the Bubbagump family.

---The Chronicle of Secret Times"

Laughing

(LEGO dungeons! Cool beans. Enjoy.) Cool

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:12 pm  

Lego Greyhawk!
    I can see it now Mordenkanien and Rary literally get to square off on one another. I use my cone of square cold. Great the boys sounds like they will carry on the tradition.

That nerf weaponry is great me and my kids had an axe versus sword fight inside Time Square Toys r us about a year ago. Yes I axed my children sue me. Evil Grin
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:57 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Lego Greyhawk!
    I can see it now Mordenkanien and Rary literally get to square off on one another. I use my cone of square cold. Great the boys sounds like they will carry on the tradition.

That nerf weaponry is great me and my kids had an axe versus sword fight inside Time Square Toys r us about a year ago. Yes I axed my children sue me. Evil Grin

Sue you? I woke my kids up from a nap with the axe!
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 pm  

PaulN6 wrote:
    chaoticprime wrote:

Tee hee. I've enjoyed every edition and they've all been flawed in one respect or another but then that was why I mentioned the Rod of Force from Unearthed Arcana 1e to cover my indiscretion. Evil Grin Actually, my 2e shadow mage has only just become playable again after being ruined by 3e so 4e is fine by me at the moment.

My problems with 4e have nothing to do with the system and everything to do with the company and people who produce it, with just a smidgin (okay, maybe a bit..er...LOT) to do with the philosophy behind it.

I have no idea how I managed to post the same message twice. Some 4e munchkin musta hit me with a feeblemind spell while I wasn't looking. No doubt there was some sort of healing surge attached to it.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:17 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    PaulN6 wrote:
    chaoticprime wrote:

My problems with 4e have nothing to do with the system and everything to do with the company and people who produce it, with just a smidgin (okay, maybe a bit..er...LOT) to do with the philosophy behind it.

I have no idea how I managed to post the same message twice. Some 4e munchkin musta hit me with a feeblemind spell while I wasn't looking. No doubt there was some sort of healing surge attached to it.

Though I cannot say for certain, I am willing to be there IS NO Feeblemind spell in 4E.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:35 pm  

"Enfeebling Surge" maybe?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:44 am  

Any pics of your son's creation? I'd really like to see the cover of the "Hambook" (which makes me wonder if his orcs have pig heads)!
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm  

I didn't take any pics at the time. I'll look around when I get home and see if the hambook still exists (I'm out of state right now). Since dad is a sometime writer and editor ("book maker" in the kids' parlance), the kids make books all the time. Unfortunately, most of them don't last very long. I'll see what I can find.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: