JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Helpful tip and a chuckle
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Helpful tip and a chuckle
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:02 pm  
    Helpful tip and a chuckle

Just two things i would like to share with all of you.
    Helpful Tip
    If anyone has some old mini's that has a bad paint job or just did not turn out the way you wanted it to. All you need are the following items: A can of easy off oven spray, a old tooth brush and a throw away tupperwhere bowl. Frist just put you mini's in the bowl,spray them with the easy-off then close the bowl( make sure you do this in a well ventilated area and make sure you have adult supervision). Let them sit for around 30 mins. and them use the tooth brush with some cold running water. The paint should come off real easy. You might have to repeat afew times to get down into all of the small, tight spots. This only works on metal figures, the plastic one's will melt!!! Cry
    The Chuckle
    I'm not much of a anime fan but one of my players got me to watch one called "Rune Soldier" it's based on a D&D setting that is real funny. [/b]
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:15 pm  

Glad for the add-on at the end there. Though I could think of a few plastic ones that could be melted down as examples of what a red dragon does to PC's that die! =)
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Site Theocrat

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:33 pm  

I've been using acetone and the kid's toothbrush for years now. Takes some time - esp. with some of the small tight areas. I also heard that Mr. Clean cleaner seems to work real well too. I'd not thought about easy-off.
    I have more than enough mini's that I don't really need to attempt repaints - although, as I'm painting my mini's I often find that I need to redo it.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:38 pm  

If they are paintd with acrylic paint, Pine-Sol works wonders. Drop them in a bucket of it, and come back in a week. The paint will be sloughing off without any nasty smells or chemical burns involved (I left the bucket in my backyard).

For lead (but not the lead free) types, Sodium Hydroxide provides an immediate reaction. Just sprinkle the crystals on and add hot water. If they are not lead-based though, they tend to pit (I can only imagine what would happen to plastic guys).

I used to use industrial paint stripper, but it ws slow and burned my hands, even with gloves. To remove the paint, I found the best trick was a garden hose with a high-pressure nozzle... toothbrushes and the like get pretty gummed up with the residue.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:16 pm  

Simple Green is my favorite for stripping miniatures. You can get it all over your hands all you want. They use it to clean engines at my friend's automotive job.

Rune Soldier is a spin-off of the Record of Lodoss War series created by Ryo Mizuno. You should check it out, it is good stuff, if a little low-budget.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:07 am  

I use JASCO premium paint & epoxy remover. When you want the paint(of any kind) off NOW, and you don't mind a mild burning/tingling sensation on your hands, use JASCO! Happy
    (Disclaimer: Do NOT use on plastics(and remove any plastic base attached to a metal mini), as it will melt it into a nice goo! Also, do not use this stuff in any sink, as it will also eat the porcelain resin finish inside the sink! Outdoors only, and wash up your work area(a nice patch of dirt where you don't want anything to grow will work just fine) with lots of water!!!)Shocked

In the U.S. you can find this stuff(or a similar product) at Pep Boys, Walmart, and similar stores. Getting this stuff outside of the U.S. may be a slight problem, as this stuff supposedly eats holes to the core of the earth. So, there is probably some wuss version of it that smells like oranges for you lot. Either that or there are also some other cleaning products available in the EU that are not only environmentally healthy and work very well(their names escape me at this time), but that are also great on toast! Razz

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:51 am  

Also, I have some mini's I got a Loooooong time ago, they are the "Henchmen" set. I dont remember who made them. They have the stamp on the bottom of them " GM 79"
    Anyone know who made them? Thks

Last edited by baronzemo on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Novice

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:51 am  

Be careful with the Pine Sol and long dips. I left a mini in some for a couple of days and it ate all of the detail from the Surface of the mini.

Rubbing alcohol 91% works pretty good on most of the new acrylics.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:27 pm  

I have not had any problems with the Pine-Sol such as removing details. Was it a plastic mini? As for the Jasco, that, strangely is the stuff I was working with, and still work with for other types of paints. And it burns right through the rubber gloves. The big advantgae I saw with the Pine-Sol over the stripper is that I can just dump the minis in there and forget about them, just harvesting the ones I have time for in an afternoon, whereas the Jasco was a bit more of a production (though very effective at stripping away, well everything).
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 pm  

For JASCO, use Nitrile gloves, which shouldn't be eaten by the stuff. Use them, wash them off, and keep them for later. You should get many uses out of them. When I am done cleaning the minis, I wash them with a bit of water and baking soda to neutralize any remaining chemical residues, them finally scrub them down with warm water and DAWN dish washing liquid. I don't do this because of any instructions, just out of simple paranoia. Laughing Beyond that, if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:10 am  

I hear that Jasco is now more readily available commercially, what with all the global reductions in chemical weapons... Happy
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible. - Bertrand Russell
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:43 am  

baronzemo wrote:
    Also, I have some mini's I got a Loooooong time ago, they are the "Henchmen" set. I dont remember who made them. They have the stamp on the bottom of them " GM 79"
    Anyone know who made them? Thks

Are these the ones?

Those would be Grenadier Minis. They were one of the best of the early companies and did a lot of Monster sets. I think I still might have my ooze figure lying around somewhere.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:31 am  

Yep, vonbek is spot on. GM 79' stands for "Grenadier Models 1979". If you have the original box it will have a painting on the box lid, with yellow sides with the the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons logo on it in black. The box bottom should be plain cardboard, and the inside foam should be blue or dark gray. It should have also come with a black and white printed picture the same as vonbek posted, though it originally would have been packaged on the bottom of the box under the cellophane wrapping(i.e to show the actual box contents). At one time I owned every single Grenadier miniatures, excepting about 5 of them which only came in a larger boxed set. Memories... Cool

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 am  

Yes, they are the ones's. But i dont have the box anymore. Thanks vonbek
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:09 am  
    Rune Stone

I read that Rune Stone is a spin-off of the Record of Lodoss War series.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: