JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The tale of two Codex's
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The tale of two Codex's
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:04 pm  
    The tale of two Codex's

Watched a good documentary today about the Codex Gigas. A tome made in the 12th century. Some have called it the devils bible. Now what if their was not just one powerful Codex but two. Every one know about the Codex of the Infinite Planes. But what if their was another powerful Codex made by a powerful demon or devil.
    Made by the powerful Orcus himself, this grim tome would be made from unicorn velum and written in the blood of angels. The Codex Gigas stands twenty feet tall and weighs over 1,000 pounds. Inside this horrific tome are pictures of the abyss itself. Written in a long forgotten tongue, the Codex tell tells of how the abyss itself was created. The true names of all demons are inside. Stories of how the demon lords came to power and of those who fell. Powerful spells and enchantments are contained inside. Over 1,000 pages are inside this massive Codex.
    Any person who reads one page from this tome, must make a save vs. death magic or die instantly. The Codex will instantly destroy any character under 12th level. Those who save can use the Codex for one day. Then the player must make another save vs. death again if touched.

4xI ____________ _____________ _____________ _____________
    3xII ____________ _____________ _____________
    3xIII ____________ _____________ _____________
    2xIV ____________ _____________
    2xV ____________ _____________
    2XVI ____________ _____________
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:36 pm  

I wrote an adventure about the Codex Gigas for my Victorian Horror game. Basically a brotherhood of monks had been successful in imprisoning Abraxus by siphoning off his power with the words in the book.

The actual plot was about an organization that wants to use a Phenomenon Actualizing Machine to cause all the Christians to die when they release Abraxus and they thinks its Armageddon so their beliefs are turned against them causing them to die.

Good ol' steampunk/horror.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:06 am  

how wide is it (if it is over 20 feet tall)?

I ask because if it is 10 feet wide each page (assuming it has the same paper weight as standard office paper) is going to weigh ~2.65 pounds (in reality a sheet of paper of that weight and that large would not be able to be used with out it being destroyed when somebody tried to turn the page but its magic so I'll over look that) and the covers are going to weigh significantly more... I would estimate your book to weigh on the order of a ton and a half to three tons (two and a half to three times your estimated weight).
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 pm  

Long time no hear from Wes.

Codex of Gigas liked your Victorian take CP. Baron Zemo Why is the codex so heavy? What idea did you have for it ?

I would think the codex would prefer corruption in order to learn something from each page one must conduct a heinous act. Of course there are other means but none as easy as sacrificing.

Interesting idea baronzemo.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:29 am  

Why should it be painful or punishing to use/read the book?

If you want something truly horrible, make it agonizingly easy to read or access its information. The dungeon that protects it however...

I see a secret cabal made of outer-planar angels, demons, devils, and jinn that have unified to keep this tome secret. Of course, is Orcus the REAL author or is it something...worse?

A semi-sentient tome, it was present the day Tharizdun was imprisoned. Within its pages one can find the unfiltered utterances issued by Tharizdun himself as he succumbed to the combined efforts of those assembled. Words so powerful that if one were to read them allow today they might possibly unravel time itself.

blah blah blah...you get the point.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:51 pm  

Or if you really want to make it horrible...

...you could make it extremely easy to read, and...

decorated with pictures of happy, frolicking bunnies, unicorns, flowers,...

all being led by a purple dinosaur singing, "I love you, you love me...."

(Ugh! I think I just threw up a little.)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: