JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Maure Castle and the Time Travelling Adventurers
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Maure Castle and the Time Travelling Adventurers
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:26 pm  
    Maure Castle and the Time Travelling Adventurers

So...my campaign has managed to diverge back in time.

My PCs are wandering about the central Flanaess around 200 CY and are wanting to explore Maure Castle.

Obviously the first resource to turn to is WG5 and then the 3 Dungeon Mags that fleshed out the castle.

They aren't interested in that. They want to cruise the upper levels. You know, the ones that were heavily looted in the past? Basically I was thinking they could become the historic first party to delve Maure Castle after its sealing back around 10 BCY or so.

I was thinking I would flesh the oft mentioned upper levels out, but prior to doing so I figured I would see what the community might have to offer in the way of ideas.

Any thoughts? All comments welcome and appreciated.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:40 pm  

Without knowing anything at all about the castle other then what can be gleaned from the post I would thow something invovling some sort of time paradox like maybe where they are attempting to prevent the destruction of the upper levels but in fact are actually the reason for the destruction.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:35 pm  
    El Raja Key's Arcane

I'm not too familiar with that line of stuff. Maybe what you're looking for is published as this here:

http://site.pied-piper-publishing.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=16&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=11
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:38 pm  
    For the Upper Levels

Maybe this is what you're looking for:

http://site.pied-piper-publishing.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=11

I can't really tell if it is upper or lower because the description says 3 levels. The picture looks upper and cool.

[img]http://site.pied-piper-publishing.com/joomla/components/com_virtuemart/show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=resized%2FCastle_El_Raja_K_4b3ea664a00b7_170x220.jpg&newxsize=170&newysize=220&fileout=[/img]
    Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:20 pm  
    Re: El Raja Key's Arcane

Raymond wrote:
    I'm not too familiar with that line of stuff. Maybe what you're looking for is published as this here:

http://site.pied-piper-publishing.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=16&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=11

Actually, that's a book of magic items written primarily by Eric N. Shook (Rob Kuntz contributed only 1 item) and partially edited by yours truly. None of it is directly drawn from Maure Castle, though several of the magic items contained therein are linked to Greyhawk at least peripherally.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:24 pm  
    Re: For the Upper Levels

Raymond wrote:
    Maybe this is what you're looking for:

http://site.pied-piper-publishing.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=11

I can't really tell if it is upper or lower because the description says 3 levels. The picture looks upper and cool.

[img]http://site.pied-piper-publishing.com/joomla/components/com_virtuemart/show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=resized%2FCastle_El_Raja_K_4b3ea664a00b7_170x220.jpg&newxsize=170&newysize=220&fileout=[/img]

Castle El Raja Key is written by Rob Kuntz, but it's not linked directly to Maure Castle. Rather, it'is part of his Kalibruhn campaign world. It still might be of interest, though, since parts of Kalibruhn and Castle El Raja Key did make it into the World of Greyhawk and Greyhawk Castle, as they were but one of the settings being used for playtesting as Gygax, et al., were writing the early versions of D&D. Unfortunately, Castle El Raja Key has yet to be published and probably won't be for some time.
    GreySage

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:35 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    Unfortunately, Castle El Raja Key has yet to be published and probably won't be for some time.

Oh? Why's that? Confused

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:19 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:
    Unfortunately, Castle El Raja Key has yet to be published and probably won't be for some time.

Oh? Why's that? Confused

Basically, it's just the nature of the beast - which "beast" being, in this case, Rob Kuntz. As one with an 'artistic' personality, Rob seems to prefer letting his imagination carry him from project to project as the winds of inspiration blow rather than simply sitting down and cranking out product. Thus, while he's commented on publishing Kalibruhn and the infamous Castle El Raja Key for years now, as far as I can tell the manuscripts still aren't done; and since he's recently commented that he's working on other things at the moment, they're not likely to get done anytime soon.
    GreySage

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:05 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    As one with an 'artistic' personality, Rob seems to prefer letting his imagination carry him from project to project as the winds of inspiration blow . . .

Well, that was rather a "pc" way of saying that. Wink Laughing

Thanks, Bubbagump! Cool

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:31 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:
    As one with an 'artistic' personality, Rob seems to prefer letting his imagination carry him from project to project as the winds of inspiration blow . . .

Well, that was rather a "pc" way of saying that. Wink Laughing

Thanks, Bubbagump! Cool

I'll PM you a more 'accurate' version.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 am  

@raymond

thanks for the ERK links. I wasn't aware of that. I will probably use some of that.

I think what I will end up doing is just cobbling some stuff together. I have a surgery coming up and wont have time to do it proper - thus my real reason for asking around on the boards - but I am sure I can work something together.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:05 pm  

Long reply.

While not directly related to Maure Castle, this thread may generate ideas for fleshing out the surrounding Duchy. At that time it would be closer to its peak and less "crumbling" of course:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3268&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ravenloft

After writing a long post in the above thread, I've been inspired to add a very strong Ravenloft flavor to the Duchy in my campaign. While the Duke, the Duke's inner circle, and the peasantry might be good-aligned, most of the land can be ruled by scheming Suel nobles who are corrupt at best and downright evil at worst. Outlaw magic use and have the militia look at foreign priests with heavy suspicion and your players will be very uncomfortable!

Looking to Ravenloft materials for inspiration on the above-ground levels is also an easy way to add an alien atmosphere and differentiate Maure Castle from other ruins like Upper Works Zagyg.

The original Ravenloft module and Castle Avernus from the GH/RL module RQ3 From the Shadows (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/rq3/FromtheShadows.zip) are good sources for inspiration and both contain huge castle maps to cannibalize. From the Shadows also involves time travel. I8 Ravanger of Time contains an excellent castle that, while inhabited, is downright creepy (personally, I'm saving I8 for Blackmoor).

Finally, you're obviously dabbling in chronomancy and now is a good time to invest in the appropriate sourcebook if you haven't already. Chronomancer suggested a few groups and entities who may take note of meddling time travelers and House Maure could definitely be added to the list.

A creepy, above-ground dungeon crawl in a corrupt land with a Maure chronomancer villain, a nearby Rhennee camp that gives the party some clues and then vanishes, some Ravenloft MC monsters, a couple magic items from ERK, possible harassment by the "Monitors of Infinity" (Chronomancer p88), and a surprise visit from Heward could be a great scenario. Possible allies include beleaguered priests of Dalt (whose god is rapidly becoming "forgotten" in 200CY for some strange reason...) or the few Knight Protectors of the Great Kingdom in Urnst (facing mysterious assassinations in the eastern part of Duchy and fighting an uphill battle against the growing decadence in the land).

Have fun! Best wishes on your surgery.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:44 pm  

Well, now I keep having ideas so here's a couple more:

* Dwarven priests of Fortubo based out of Karakast or Dumadan are watching over the castle for fear that explores will release ancient Suel magic. With long life spans, PC's could connect with one of these dwarves again centuries later in their own time (or encounter someone they already know as a venerable old coot back when he or she was a youngster).

* Don't forget to lay the groundwork for The Silver Key of Portals to appear in the hands of a certain archmage 250+ years later!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:23 pm  

Vestcoat - THANK YOU!

This is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for. I really appreciate it. Also, the link to the Urnst thread did me some wonders. Thanks again. And yes, I have chronomancer. I actually bought it new off the shelf the day it came out! One of my all time faves.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 am  

"The Adventure Begins" has a map of the upper ruins of Maure castle (and the surrounding environs)... very simplistic, but it at least shows the basic shape of the place.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: