ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Isle of Woe
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Isle of Woe
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:39 am  
    Isle of Woe

Hello

Although i am a frequently guest here on Canonfire, i usually only read all your great post (which i do on a daily basis, as it gives me a lot of great info/ideas).

Now i'm in need of (any) info about the Mysterious Isle of Woe?

I have already searched the forums and the internet without any real success.

I would really appreciate any help.

Regards from the freezing cold country of Denmark.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:30 am  

The Living Greyhawk Campaign had a Multiround Core Special Adventure 8 years ago called "CORS 2-02 Isles of Woe" with some Info about it . . .
    GreySage

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 am  

Take a look at this article: Isles of Woe.
    GreySage

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm  

Here are some other forum threads on this topic:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3921&highlight=isles+woe

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3674&highlight=isles+woe
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 pm  

This is so great.

Thank you so much.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:03 pm  

Falco wrote:
    The Living Greyhawk Campaign had a Multiround Core Special Adventure 8 years ago called "CORS 2-02 Isles of Woe" with some Info about it . . .

I've always wanted to see the Living Greyhawk Isle of Woe adventures.
    Would anyone know if it is available online somewhere?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:40 am  

The Campaign ended in 2008 and so there is no official / legal way to get your hands on that stuff . . . Sad Cry
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:10 pm  

Boo. Sad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 pm  

Falco wrote:

I have this in .pdf. In fact, I have almost ALL of the living greyhawk stuff in .pdf. This other fan I was talking to at GenCon a few years back had them on his laptop and let me copy them from him.

Is it against rules to distribute? If not, I would gladly make arrangements to make them available. Maybe via RapidShare or a similar place.

Anyone have any insight?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:51 pm  

It has been a decade since the material was trademarked, so it could have lapsed. A federal trademark registration automatically lapses after ten years. If Wotc re-registered Living Greyhawk this year, then its off limits, if not, they are fair game to distribute until they do.

I just looked up the trademark--Advanced Dungeons and Dragons is fair game. Interestingly, my Dyvers modules state that LIVING GREYHAWK and the material is trademarked by wotc, but on the USPT I cannot find record of it. I mean, I found Greyhawk's trademark, forgotten realms, even Spelljammer. But Living Greyhawk has never been copyrighted. Furthermore, the Greyhawk TM its listed as EQUIPMENT SOLD AS A UNIT AND INCLUDING A RULE BOOK AND PRINTED PLAYING AIDS, FOR PLAYING A PARLOR TYPE GAME. Its logo is TM as Parlor games.

The Living Greyhawk name nor logo has been trademarked, and the material was never intended for sale.

I would definitely argue that its fair game.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4008:tlvsi.12.7
    GreySage

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:40 am  

Trademark isn't copyright. The copyright won't expire for another seventy years or so.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:20 pm  

<--- Knows VERY little about TM or Copyrights

So is it fair game to distribute?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 pm  

Katerek wrote:
    <--- Knows VERY little about TM or Copyrights

So is it fair game to distribute?

Technically, no.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 am  

ah well, that's too bad.

It's a REAL shame actually - there is this VAST volume of material that is just sitting there going unused.
    GreySage

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:39 am  

Mad

That's the single biggest complaint "we" have "here." Evil Grin

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 am  

Trademark means you can't make your own modules (or miniatures) and put "Greyhawk" on the cover. Because the name is trademarked for games. Trademarks need to be renewed periodically.

I'm pretty sure Hasbro's lawyers would argue that the phrase "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" is not fair game because it contains the trademarked phrase "Dungeons & Dragons" in it. Likewise, the phrase "Living Greyhawk" is not fair game because it contains the trademarked word "Greyhawk." It's very much like how Facebook has trademarked the word "Face" with regard to social networking services; they would sue anyone who called their website "Advanced Facebook," "Living Facebook," or even "Facecodex" for infringing that trademark.

Copyright means you can't make copies of existing works and distribute them without permission. Copyright doesn't have to be renewed. It lasts for seventy years, or seventy years after the death of the author in the case of works owned by an individual rather than an immortal corporation. Unless the law changes, we'll all probably be dead before any of the Living Greyhawk modules are fair game to distribute without permission. If those who own the copyright give permission, though, that's another story. And we're free to summarize the content (as long as we use our own wording) or provide short excerpts for the purpose of commentary or review.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:03 am  

Lucky for us most of those modules were very "ho-hum."
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:04 pm  

rasgon wrote:

Copyright means you can't make copies of existing works and distribute them without permission. Copyright doesn't have to be renewed. It lasts for seventy years, or seventy years after the death of the author in the case of works owned by an individual rather than an immortal corporation. Unless the law changes, we'll all probably be dead before any of the Living Greyhawk modules are fair game to distribute without permission. If those who own the copyright give permission, though, that's another story. And we're free to summarize the content (as long as we use our own wording) or provide short excerpts for the purpose of commentary or review.

Actually, Rip, thanks to Sonny Bono & the lobbyists at Di$ney, corporate copyrights last for 95 years after publication, or 120 after creation, whichever is shorter (otherwise, Mickey Mouse would be in the public domain). Creator-owned works still expire 70 years after the creator's death.
    GreySage

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:30 am  

Ah, that's right. I should have looked it up before I posted. Thanks for the correction.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: