Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Whatever happened to the Circle of 8?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Whatever happened to the Circle of 8?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:06 pm  
    Whatever happened to the Circle of 8?

The Circle of 8
    According to the Ghwiki-By 586 CY, the Circle had returned to its full membership of eight plus one. Though Tenser had been returned to life via a clone he had hidden on Luna, he had no desire to rejoin the Circle. In his, Rary's, and Otiluke's place stood Warnes Starcoat, Alhamazad the Wise, and the high elf Theodain Eriason, the Circle's first non-human member.

So the current members are Warnes, Alhamazad, Theodain, Bigby, Jallarzi, Drawmij, Nystul, and Otto. With Mordenkainen being a shadow 9th member still. All are Wizards of great power.

So, my question is... What have they been up to in recent events? Say after 586....or even 591 when Living Greyhawk started.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:34 pm  

Well, Mordenkainen had some involvement in the events of Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. I believe Nystul and Otto were working on the reclamation of Tenh and Almor, respectively; Bigby was involved in the Flight of Fiends and was giving surreptitious aid to the Free Onnwal movement; and I think Drawmij was working in the Lost Lands of Geoff and Sterich.
    GreySage

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:59 pm  

Tenser appears in the Age of Worms adventure path (as Manzorian, but it's really Tenser).
    GreySage

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:01 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    (as Manzorian, but it's really Tenser).

Have Age of Worms, haven't looked through it yet. How will I know that its really Tenser? Confused

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:24 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Have Age of Worms, haven't looked through it yet. How will I know that its really Tenser? Confused
    Does he have a pronounced fetish for the color blue? Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:27 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    rasgon wrote:
    (as Manzorian, but it's really Tenser).

There are other archimage with a house in the Nyr Dyv coast (front Magepoint) called "Fortress of Unknown Depths"? Evil Grin

In Greyhawk Wiki:

Quote:
    In Dungeon's Age of Worms adventure path, Tenser is referred to as "Manzorian."

Sergio :-)

PS: Im DMing AoW and, IMHO, is a very nice and interesting campaign.
    GreySage

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:37 pm  

Thanks, DMPrata and rol-oeste! Happy

Like I said, I haven't looked through the module yet, so I know nothing about it. So thanks again. Cool

I'll be on the look-out for all of that.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:18 am  

Yeah, he's dressed in blue, lives in Tenser's fortress, has Tenser's contacts. For whatever reason, WotC wouldn't let Paizo use Tenser in their adventure path, but they were fine with just renaming him. They also wouldn't let them use the name Greyhawk, which is why it's consistently referred to as simply "the Free City."
    GreySage

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:43 am  

WotC is just weird . . . on so many levels! Laughing

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:09 pm  

I was under the impression that it was a Paizo decision not to make AoW a campaign world-specific adventure path to prevent alienating too many of their readers. I think it says this somewhere in the AoW Overload PDF. Its pretty obvious they had GH in mind when they wrote it, but it makes sense that they would keep the setting generic.

Mystic-Scholar, you really owe it to yourself to give it a read. There is so much GH love from start to finish that it would be a shame if you missed out.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:58 pm  

Here's a quote from James Jacobs (one of the designers behind AoW) over on the Paizo board: "I believe that the only names we had to change (per WotC's instructions) were Tenser, Bucknard, and the city of Greyhawk. Therefore, "Manzorian," "Balakarde," and the "Free City" were put in. Strangely, they had no problems with us using names like Dragotha or Kyuss. <shrug>"

The full thread can be found here. The quote above is on page two.

The thread also lists several other personages from the AoW Adventure Path with previous ties to Greyhawk, such as Cymria, Prince Zeech of Redhand, and Agath of Thrunch to name a few.
    GreySage

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:38 am  

Except for the three names WotC forced them to change, it really is world-specific. They have suggestions for using it on other worlds, but the adventure uses places like Rift Canyon, the Bandit Kingdoms, the Nyr Dyv, the Amedio Jungle, and the Greyhawk region without any name-changes at all.
    GreySage

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 am  

Luz wrote:
    Mystic-Scholar, you really owe it to yourself to give it a read. There is so much GH love from start to finish that it would be a shame if you missed out.

Luz, thanks much! Happy

I do have it, but man, I just have so much to catch-up on . . . its taking forever! Mad Laughing

My current "catching-up" is what got me to writing my current adventure. But I'll need to "sit down" with the AoW at the first opportunity.

Icarus wanted to DM AoW with myself and some others here in the Houston area, but . . . Confused

He was really getting hooked on WoW at the time -- we used to speak everyday -- but he's been "off the radar" for some time now. Anna's asked me to go track him down -- physically. Never had his address though, I'll have to search the phone book.

Anyway, thanks again Luz! Cool Happy

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm  
    Tenser

Just out of curiosity - are there any floorplans/maps of Tenser's Fortess and where can they be found... or are we on our own there (ie. source material, website links)?

I want to use him as a major influence on the player characters in a campaign and all I have to go off is perhaps the wiki.
    GreySage

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:07 pm  

There's a map of Tenser's fortress (every floor of it) in Return of the Eight.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:18 am  
    Thank you!

Fantastic! Thank you so much.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: