JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Iggwilv
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Iggwilv
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:03 am  
    Iggwilv

Have there been any official stats ever given for Iggwilv? If so, where? If not, have any of you done this?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:23 am  

She was given stats in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. You will have to read it to see what was done with her(and how it was done) for yourself. I don't want to post any information on her, as practically any specific information will be a spoiler. Let's just say that, in all her splendor, Iggwilv would be a very formidable opponent.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:01 am  

2e stats in Return of the Eight listed her tentatively as at least level 30. You can work with the stats in the aforementioned module or check out the stats in the 3e Savage Tide adventure path that appeared in Dungeon. Can anybody recall which issue it was?

In 4e things get a bit trickier. Since she imprisoned Graz'zt at some stage, she pretty much has to be a level 30+ solo controller. I think some suggestions for Iuz as an Elite appeared on this site and Iggwilv is undoubtedly more powerful than her demigod son - possibly having achieved quasi-deity status - more than a mortal but less than a god.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:05 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    2e stats in Return of the Eight listed her tentatively as at least level 30.

Quote:
    Human female archmage of undefined level
    "The Witch of Perrenland"

Anyway she was statted as level 30 in Savage Tide (August 2007)

I copy here the stats, if it's copyright infringement please tell me I will remove immediately.

Stat block removed. Please keep the posting of copyrighted material to short excerpts, or just post where the material can be found. Carry on.Happy

--Cebrion
    GreySage

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:12 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    She was given stats in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.

In the spirit of not including spoilers, all I can say is "not exactly."
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:37 am  

Which is what I was alluding to in the sentence following the one you quoted. Wink

Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:16 am  

Yeah, I understand what you were trying to do, I just wouldn't want someone to buy the book just for Iggwilv's stats and feel cheated. It's not really as useful as it might be.
    GreySage

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:45 pm  

So, speaking "generically," she's more powerful than Mordy, or Rary? Shocked

Wow! Evil Grin

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:27 pm  

When I stat'd her up in C&C I made her 18HD, which is a lot in C&C. I made her as a monster though, not a PC. Running PC's as enemies, in my experience, is not very fun (options, options).

I would mention the SSM "Iggwilv" miniature...but as my brother and SSM partner is the OP in this thread, that'd be pointless.
    GreySage

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:46 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Wow! Evil Grin

Yeah, those two are high-level characters. Iggwilv is supposed to be on par with quasi-deities.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:54 pm  

Thanks for the plug Chaos - but yeah...I have one. Confused

As for Iggwilv stats, I like the statblock posted, but the more I think about it the more I am thinking I will just do it up from scratch.

I run Pathfinder so I am thinking of doing her up as a 20th level Witch, and then stacking on 10 levels or HD worth of other classes or templates.

Anyone got any ideas there?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:33 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Wow! Evil Grin

In Mongoose's Slayer's Guide to Dragons, Gygax has an adventure which has a map perfectly fitting the Yatils/Perrenland/Veluna region. He mentions a character called "The Mother of Witches," who just happens to be a demigoddess!
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:36 pm  

Personally, I would rank Iggwilv as the third most powerful mage of mortal origin in Greyhawk history, right behind Zagyg and Vecna, or perhaps fourth, if you include Baba Yaga (who I would rank at #2, or perhaps #3).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:10 pm  

Yeah I agree with you Robbastard. I don't think Baba Yaga quite 'fits' that list though - since I am not sure if she even has truly mortal origins.

Who would be number one? Vecna since he has a higher deific rank?

After Iggwilv at #3 the list would cloud up a bit. I would definitely put some of the various members of the Circle on there as well as Acererak and possibly Keraptis.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:55 pm  

In my core Greyhawk campaign world Vecna is not a deity. The strongest magic-user is/was Zagyg.

When considering the power of an enemy in my game, I usually do not assess it by class/level, but by threat. Iggwilv is very powerful and dangerous, but how I run things she could still manage that at level 10.

I generally tend to play considering that power cannot abstract away the danger of getting shanked by a longsword. This is easy to do using Basic or C&C, I would not recommend 3.0, haha.

Armor Class is probably the biggest abstraction in my game. It means so much more than it infers.

10th level is as high as a mortal can achieve when I run a game in GH. You can keep earning XP, but it gains you different benefits.

I take that back, magic-users can gain levels up to 35. But they're like a little of rabbits after 10th, only one in eight survive in the wild.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:47 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    Personally, I would rank Iggwilv as the third most powerful mage of mortal origin in Greyhawk history, right behind Zagyg and Vecna, or perhaps fourth, if you include Baba Yaga (who I would rank at #2, or perhaps #3).

IIRC, I think I read somewhere that Iggwilv was Oerth's incarnation of Baba Yaga, though I can't remember if that is actual canon or not.

Also I'd include Kyuss on your short list, maybe #4 behind the big three.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 am  

Kyuss was a cleric. Vecna, Zagyg, and Iggwilv sound like a good top 3. Wasn't there a powerful mage on the Lendore Isles (may actually be Lendor) - I think he should be up there. And of course the great Suel & Baklunish mages of power.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:15 am  

Luz wrote:
    IIRC, I think I read somewhere that Iggwilv was Oerth's incarnation of Baba Yaga, though I can't remember if that is actual canon or not.

rasgon wrote:
    According to Dragon #359, Baba Yaga is actually Iggwilv's adoptive mother. Iggwilv is the same person as Natasha the Dark, mentioned in Dragon #83, although Natasha/Iggwilv's stats in that issue represent her much younger self. Not everyone likes the idea, though.
    from this thread on Baba Yaga

In the Grazz't is everywhere thread GVDammerung played with the idea of making them one and the same , but rejected it in the end.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:22 am  

Katerek wrote:
    As for Iggwilv stats, I like the statblock posted, but the more I think about it the more I am thinking I will just do it up from scratch.

I run Pathfinder so I am thinking of doing her up as a 20th level Witch, and then stacking on 10 levels or HD worth of other classes or templates.

Anyone got any ideas there?

Perhaps you could adapt the Diabolist prc and to stat her as a PF Witch20/Demonologist10. Or make her a Witch20/Summoner20 ?

In 3e James Jacobs statted her as a Wizard26/archmage4:
    Quote:
    As a matter of fact... Iggwilv does indeed get a stat block, but it'll be appearing over in Dungeon #149. She doesn't have any witch levels, though... it's pretty well established in Greyhawk lore that she's a wizard, so that's what she is in her stat block. A wizard 26/archmage 4, in fact. The name "Witch-Queen" is more of a title than anyting else, really.

In any case, she's pretty deadly. Anyone able to cast a couple limited wishes as quickened spell-like abilities or able to cast a spell that forces a CR 22 aspect of Graz'zt to manifest before her to do her bidding for an hour is hardly what I'd call a disapointment. :-)

This would probably translate to a straight PF wizard30 pending a PF release of the archmage prc.

For more details on her here's her GHwiki entry.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 am  

This dicefreaks thread has lots of PF builds for Iggwilv though sometimes using older/new/alternate rules for epic advancement.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: