Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Discovering the classics!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Discovering the classics!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 am  
    Discovering the classics!

Greetings!

Within the past year, I rediscovered D&D when a friend of mine invited me to play in his 4e game. I am now to the point where I am thinking of running my own game. Since I started with 2e in the 90s and played mostly Ravenloft and Forgotten Realms, I never really got into Greyhawk.

Having stumbled upon and trolled around this site for a bit, I feel like I missed out on the classic or original D&D experience. I read the FAQ and I am intrigued by the idea of running a “Classics” Greyhawk campaign as per the following quote:

Quote:
    “The 'Classics' campaign consists of the following modules: T1-4, A1-4, and GDQ1-7 with S1 and S3 thrown in when appropriate, and possibly WG6 thrown in to cap off the campaign.”

Unfortunately, I am slightly confused what modules these codes are referring to. I believe I have figured out most of them using the info from this link:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

T1 : Village of Homlett Homlett, Verbobonc : Module : 1 to 3
    T1-4 : Temple of Elemental Evil : Homlett and Nulb, Verbobonc : Module : 1 to 8
    A1 : Slave Pits of the Undercity : Highport : Module : 4 to 7
    A2 : Secret of the Slavers Stockade : Drachensgrab Hills : Module : 4 to 7
    A3 : Assualt on the Aerie of the Slave Lords : Suderheim, Drachensgrab Mountains : Module : 4 to 7
    A4 : In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords : Suderheim, Drachensgrab : Mountains : Module : 4 to 7
    S3 : Expedition the Barriers Peaks : Barrier Peaks : Module : 8 to 12
    S1 : Tomb of Horrors : Vast Swamp : Module : 10 to 14
    WG06 : Isle of the Ape : Tenser's Castle and Tropical Demi-plane : Module : 14 to 19

Is the above accurate? And does “WG6” = “WG06”

Unfortunately, I was unable to determine what modules the code “GDQ1-7” stands for. It does not appear to be listed. So if any of you good folk could help me out with that one I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, does the “T1-4” refer to one or four modules?

I plan to run the game using 4e rules, so after gathering the first few modules, I will need to convert them. I am hoping I am not the first to do this and thus will be posting your 4e forum in the near future.

Thank you all in advance for your time!
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! Yes, your above codes are correct. T1–4 was the expansion of and sequel to T1; there never was a T2, T3, or T4. The A series modules were compiled and modified as A1–4 Scourge of the Slave Lords. GDQ 1–7 is the designation for Queen of the Spiders, the supermodule compilation of the following modules:

G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
    G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
    G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King
    D1 Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
    D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
    D3 Vault of the Drow
    Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits

Hope this answers your questions.
    GreySage

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm  

DMPrata gave you all the relevent information, but I want to say 'welcome!' and give you a couple of pointers.

First, note that the adventures will not fall into line perfectly if you play them through from one to another (even if you were playing AD&D) because the levels they are appropriate for overlap too much. For example, by the time your players have completed all of T1-4, they will be about 10th level and ready for Against the Giants (G1-3, levels 8-12), completely skipping over the Slavers series. So, if you wish for your players to experience all of those modules, you'll need to plan accordingly when converting them to 4th Edition.

Second, those classic modules truly are some of the very best and you won't go wrong basing a campaign on them. Wink

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:55 pm  

Hail and well met eetorres76! Glad you "found" us and decided to "join in." Happy

You'll find that there are those here who can answer any question regarding Greyhawk and almost any question regarding D&D . . . period.

We're looking forward to your contributions and participation on the site. We especially enjoy it when members keep us posted regarding their home games, so keep us updated! Cool

And, again, welcome to Canonfire! Wink

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:09 am  

@DMPrata - Thank you! I took your info and updated my list. Am I correct in assuming that T1-4 contains the T1 module, thus I only need to acquire T1-4? And that the same is true for the other two compilations on my list?

T1-4: Temple of Elemental Evil
    ↳T1: Village of Homlett
    A1–4: Scourge of the Slave Lords
    ↳A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity
    ↳A2: Secret of the Slavers Stockade
    ↳A3: Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords
    ↳A4: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
    GDQ 1–7: Queen of the Spiders
    ↳G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
    ↳G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
    ↳G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King
    ↳D1 Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
    ↳D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
    ↳D3 Vault of the Drow
    ↳Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits
    S3: Expedition the Barriers Peaks
    S1: Tomb of Horrors
    WG6: Isle of the Ape

@SirXaris - Thank you for your advise about the level ranges, I will most defiantly keep that in mind as I plan out this campaign.

@Mystic-Scholar - Thank you for the warm welcome. While I certainly hope I can contribute, I have a feeling I will be mostly asking questions.^^
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 am  

eetorres76 wrote:
    @DMPrata - Thank you! I took your info and updated my list. Am I correct in assuming that T1-4 contains the T1 module, thus I only need to acquire T1-4? And that the same is true for the other two compilations on my list?
    Yes, though purists will tell you that A1-4 does somewhat modify the original A modules. This is true to a much lesser extent with GDQ 1-7, and don't under any circumstances buy the S1-4 supermodule.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:05 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    eetorres76 wrote:
    Yes, though purists will tell you that A1-4 does somewhat modify the original A modules. This is true to a much lesser extent with GDQ 1-7, and don't under any circumstances buy the S1-4 supermodule.

All of the supermodule versions upgraded the adventures to some extent, introducing new plot elements to tie them together more closely. The individual A modules and G, D, and Q modules in their initial publication were linked as two separate groups, but the S modules weren't, and the writer, in the opinion of some here (me, and DMPrata, apparently included), didn't do a very good job of providing a story-line to link them.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: