Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Introduction first
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Introduction first
    GreySage

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:53 am  
    Introduction first

Greetings All,

I've long perused the forums, articles, and postings, but have just recently decided to start replying. I am not sure if this post is accurately placed here, so, if I err, please forgive my ignorance and direct me to the appropriate place...

...anyhow, I've been a player for a LONG time (3 decades, since I was 8 or so), and first cut my young teeth in 1st edition (this post may fit on that board instead), but have readily adopted the 2nd edition system since its introduction those many years ago. In many regards, I use what I like from both 1st and 2nd editions, but will admit that I am not really a 3rd edition kinda guy. I think it finds more favor, if you will, with the younger crowd, while 'older fellas' (I hate to admit that I am approaching 40!) like myself tend to prefer the older systems.

I first encountered WoG sometime around middle school. Since then, I have become an avid Greyhawker, and though I have dabbled in many other systems and realms (FR, Dragonlance most notably), they never seemed to hold my interest for long, or my loyalty (I will spare you the reasons why, unless you really want to know).

Over the years, I have developed a personal fondness for rangers, mages, elves, and various cleric-types (notably druids and their ilk, and Trithereon). My longest running PCs include a half-elven ranger (Dirk by name), a bladesinger high elf (initially a fighter-mage until the elven handbook came out, then was 'remade' in that kit image) named Lanathian whose nickname "Lanthorn" I now have adopted as my pseudonym, and a recently retired bard. Since then, I have tried to broaden my horizons and tackle other classes and races, both as player and DM running noteworthy NPCs.

I guess that's enough for now. Sorry to bore you. My next posts will ask you for some of your own perspectives and advice on a variety of things pertaining to game mechanics and the like. I have a few things on my mind that I want to bounce off the lot of you, especially my veteran cohort who have been playing for a while.

Thanks for your time,

-Lanthorn

(again, if this is the wrong forum to use, let me know and direct me accordingly!)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:45 am  

I think this was more a Welcome to Greyhawk thread.

Don't fret Ceb patrols these grounds and will move the post if he deems it necessary. In due time all will be relevant.

I to started with first edition and took up 2E since it first graced the selves of the comic book stores. However 3rd and 3.5 which is pretty much the same does not reek of new blood only. I don't use the prestige classes and liked the 2E kits so I have begun converting them for 3.5 rules.

In the long run if you enjoy the edition your playing then your playing the right edition.

Welcome to the boards and don't be a stranger or a lurker.
    GreySage

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:49 am  

Adept Argon,

Thank you for your reply. I figured that one of the Moderators would take charge if I erred.

Nonetheless, I do intend to become a semi-regular now that I've officially introduced myself, though I see that I have LOTS of ground to cover if I wish to rise to the ranks of some of our more exalted members (those folks who have hundreds, or THOUSANDS, of posts, for instance). You seem to be well on your way. Smile

It seems that you and I may have comics in common too. I used to frequent a comic store in my youth that doubled with gaming materials, and the two were my hobbies of choice (I gave up collecting comics in early college, mainly due to lack of money and an inability to keep up with all my favorite titles, but never quite ditched the gaming gig). I think comic-collecting and gaming typically go hand-in-hand.

Agreed on the whole prestige class thing. I like kits more, as well.

Thanks again, Argon, for the warm welcome, and I promise not to be a 'stranger or lurker.'

well met,

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:59 am  

Just wanted to pop by and say welcome even though I'm new here myself. Smile

Also, I didn't find your post boring at all. I'm a 'younger' person and I do find my preferences falling to 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder. The 4E stuff though, just can't seem to do anything for me (much to my DM's chagrin as he says they made DMing a lot more streamlined with 4E).

We do share some class and race preferences though. Druids and Elves hold dear places in my heart, and lately I'm growing fond of Wizards and Sorcerers. My longest running characters (that weren't games like the one Iressi is running for me now where I control multiple characters) were a Dwarven Paladin of Moradin named Namir, a human gypsy Cleric of Sune (FR game) named Aliah (she was known as the Black Rose of Calimshan), and an Elven Druid named Dyani (who was over 300 years old and thus old-aged).

Anyways, I hope you find many resources and friendly faces here! I know I have. Smile

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:14 am  

Crystaltears,

Many thanks for the response.

I glanced at the newer material and couldn't bring myself to make that transition. I guess some leopards cannot change their spots. Smile I'm a 1st/2nd edition hybrid (leaning more towards the latter), but like the Player's Options features that allowed characters to become more flexible in their skill sets, abilities, and powers (I LOVE shades of grey, as life is seldom black and white).

Too, elf-kind holds the greatest sway in my heart, but I have really tried to delve into other races (and classes) to broaden my horizons. To date, my PCs have included those noted earlier (ranger, bard, bladesinger), as well as a swashbuckler, fighter/bard (RIP), and a fighter/priest of Trithereon. However, I have tried virtually everything as a DM with a whole variety of NPCs. The list is lengthy, but I still have much ground to cover, and enjoy venturing into classes and races unplayed.

Anyhow, thanks again, and we will meet again.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:45 am  

Welcome to Canonfire, I hope you enjoy your stay here :)

I am Crystaltears DM most of the time, and am also a 'youngling' having only played 2nd edition once with a game that my dad ran years ago.

At some point I am going to run a 1st edition game for her, maybe using the OSRIC rules. Both of us are still rather new to Greyhawk, but we are learning.
    GreySage

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:13 am  

Well-met Iressi,

Thank you for your benediction. I am already enjoying reading and replying to posts. I liked the 'youngling' Star Wars reference (another favorite of mine), but will admit that even those of us who are no longer even DnD Padawans are learning all the time.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:36 am  

Well I for one do not like elves probably from my humble beginnings with 1st edition AD&D. Mostly because of all the love they get give me a dwarf, or a gnome any day over the fey folk.

However I have DM'ed my fair share of elf PC's over the years. I place more importance on role playing than anything else in my games. As long as you role play well and focus on creating a believable character we will get along fine.

Lanthorn if you like 2nd edition New Haven games has a retro-clone with some tweaked rules called Myth & Magic should see print in September. I don't know the name of the other company coming out with a retro-clone but the system is called For Glory & Gold. You might want to look these up and see if they add a little spice to your campaign.

Best of Luck

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:21 pm  

Argon the Adept,

You and I might disagree on our favorite race, but I completely agree with your perspective on role-playing a believable character! I would classify myself as the 'righteous role-player,' delving into what makes characters (and NPCs, and villains, too) 'tick.' I play many PCs at once (try to limit it to 3 at any one time, if possible), but as DMs, we do much much more than that, yes? As a younger noviate player back in the early 80's, I was, as you'd expect, a hack -and-slash kinda guy. Now I enjoy a good mix of combat and role-play.

Coincidentally, you and a great friend of mine/fellow 'hawker (we switch out DMing duties and have played together since high school) agree on the racial choice. He far prefers dwarves over the fey, even though he has played his fair share of elfkind (mainly b/c they make capable mages, unlike the poor dwarves, and he loves sorcerors). He shuns halflings (maybe b/c I call him 'hobbit' all the time for his stature or b/c no one seems to take them seriously), but has played many very good gnome characters (recently, a priest of Ulaa).

thanks for the info,

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:56 pm  

Lanthorn,

Your friend will soon see a class of my creation easy enough to adapt to 2E and he'll want to create that dwarf character asap.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: