Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Major Beholder Personalities in Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Major Beholder Personalities in Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:15 am  
    Major Beholder Personalities in Greyhawk?

Looking for any info people may have on Beholders in Greyhawk. Preferably named Beholders that can be used as a nemisis.
    CF Admin

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:47 am  

There is deffinately 1 in Star Cairns and I believe there may be 1 in WGR1: Greyhawk Ruins, but I'm at work and unable to check for you.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:38 am  

there is an unamed beholder in the Offical Advanced Dungeons and Dragons coloring album guarding a bridge) (the coloring album chronicles the adventure that a group of heores has in the dungeons under a ruined castle in the world of greyhawk).

there is one in WGR2 Treasures of Greyhawk, it is in the adventure "All for a Hat" and is named Zomitil
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:35 pm  
    Father Eye

There was one in "Rary the Traitor".

He was located in the Abor-Alz region and his name was Father Eye. He (it?) ran a mining camp and had an emissary from Rary as an honored guest. He would be great to use as a villian, as your heros could be charged with preventing an alliance between the beholder and Rary.

O-D
    Novice

Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:17 pm  

I was reading an old issue of Dungeon Magazine yesterday and there is one in Dungeon Magazine #97
    you can find him on the Critical threat section of the issue with his background and stats for 3 rd Edition (he has a few rogue levels )

If i remember well, He is currently settled in Radigast city and he is the leader of a network of spy. he is a sort of dealer of secrets
    His name is Xollox.

If you wish more info PM me.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:10 pm  

There are (sigh) invisible beholders protecting the library of the Guild of Wizardry in Greyhawk city.

--Erik
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:30 pm  

I think that is just a rumor IQ. ;)
    CF Admin

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:38 pm  
    Star Cairns

Ok, the Beholder from TSR9597: Star Cairns is named Inafext, whom runs the 4th cairn and he is described as paranoid and nervous.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:02 pm  

The only published beholders I recall in 1e modules were listed as wandering monsters in D1-3.

I typed up some beholder eye ray variations over on the Grognard's Tavern. If you're curious, here they are:

Quote:

IMC, I revised the eye rays of beholders, providing a broader range of possible magical effects. All beholders have 7-10 eye stalks, and 1 central eye, all of which may produce magical effects.

The following powers are common to all beholders:

• death ray (5" range)
    • charm monster (5" range, save at -2)
    • anti-magic ray (6" range)
    • fear (8" range)

Roll on the following table for the abilities of the other eyes:

1. cause serious wounds (6" range, 3d8+3 damage, save vs. poison for half damage)
    2. telekinesis (8" range, 2700 gp weight plus 10gp weight per hit point above 55)
    3. flesh to stone (5" range, 25% of beholders can also use stone to flesh with this eye ray as well)
    4. disintegration (3" range, up to a 7'x10'x5' deep volume may be affected if targeted upon matter)
    5. slow (6" range, 1 target for a number of rounds equal to hit dice, no save)
    6. hold monster (5" range, save at -3, duration 1 round per hit die, plus 2-7 rounds)
    7. sleep (8" range, affects up to 6 HD creatures per Wotinar's Advanced Sleep)
    8. ray of enfeeblement (7" range, 35% loss plus 3% per hit die)
    9. illusion (4" range, as per spectral force; remains for 1 round per 2 hit dice after concentration ceases; 10% of beholders may create permanent illusions with this eye ray)
    10. light burst (4" range, as per Eye of the Deep; very useful against drow, illithids, duergar, intellect devourers, etc.)
    11. pyrotechnics ray (5" range, ignites combustibles only)
    12. blindness (6" range, permanent until cured; this will also negate the random power of a rival beholder's eye ray if the target beholder fails its saving throw)
    13. repulsion (4" range, lasta one round per HD, save at -1)
    14. fumble (7" range, lasts two rounds plus one round per two hit dice)
    15. vampiric ray (3" range, 3d8+6 damage, save vs. breath weapon for no damage [ray misses, and it may hit a secondary target]; if hit, victim rolls a second save vs. death magic or also loses one level; damage caused is transferred to the beholder as healing, and ten additional points of healing are transferred if the victim is energy drained; see the 4th level necromancer spell of the same name)
    16. ice ray (5" range, 5d4+8 damage, save vs. petrification for half damage)
    17. ray of rot (4" range, as per violet fungi touch, save vs. poison avoids the effects)
    18. reverse gravity (5" range, lasts on victim for 4 rounds + 1 round per HD of beholder)
    19. heat or chill metal (4" range, lasts for 8 rounds; 45% chance for either, 10% chance for both in the same eye)
    20. other DM nastiness (including ideas from the artifacts tables like transmute bones to jelly, transmute bones to green slime, animate dead, re-roll and increase range and save penalty on rolled power, change alignment to that of beholder, imprison, temporal stasis, plane shift to a random plane, geas, Iscladoc's Eyes of Amaurosis or ...Eyes of Agony, eyebite, etc., etc.)

Beholder eyes were also all randomly placed, so you couldn't count on disabling a beholder's anti-magic by hitting his central eye, for example.

Hopefully this will prove useful in your games :D

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:12 pm  

Realizing beholders as the intelligent individuals they are said to be in the MM instead of another random encounter is something surprisingly that I think FR brought on. Beholders are part of a couple organizations in that setting whereas in GH they seem quite isolated. Father Eye allying with Rary would be a good start.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:58 pm  

hey, just because something is intelligent doesn't mean it can't be found wandering around... I mean Einstien had to go to the grocery store like everybody else... so I assume that beholders have things to do with thier day that entales them taking thier massive intellects for a jaunt down to the corner cave and such.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:02 am  

> There are (sigh) invisible beholders protecting the library of the Guild of Wizardry in Greyhawk city.

LOL! I had forgotten them. But as a quick offtopic, NOTHING beats the gargantuan (88 HD) beholder shepherd who lived in a house. Yes, and it's official: a mystaran module called Into the Maelstron, IIRC (a D&D analogy to Odissey)

Victor Caminha
    Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:07 pm  

cwslyclgh wrote:
    hey, just because something is intelligent doesn't mean it can't be found wandering around... I mean Einstien had to go to the grocery store like everybody else... so I assume that beholders have things to do with thier day that entales them taking thier massive intellects for a jaunt down to the corner cave and such.

haha!

I agree, I guess what I refer to is the wandering monster for XP vs the wandering monster with a subplot to it. Amazing how a simple name can change an NPC from XP-fodder to an interesting being that you might want to parley with.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:18 pm  

Cirosean (Undead Beholder)[NPC]
    DUN#70 - 59

Father Eye (Beholder)[NPC]
    WGR3 - 17,19,27,34,35,38-42,57

Inafext (Beholder)[NPC]
    TSC - 23,25,26,29

Kex (Beholder)[NPC]
    RT1-4 - 141

Zomitil (Beholder)[NPC]
    WGR2 - 85,86,87,88
    GreySage

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:50 pm  

Cis (Eye of the Deep, beholder-kin)
    Agnosco Adventum
    Canonfire! Chronicles

Name? (Gauth, beholder-kin)
    Tower of Power?
    Greyhawk Ruins

SirXaris

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 am  

grodog wrote:
    The only published beholders I recall in 1e modules were listed as wandering monsters in D1-3.

While prepping D3, I recently re-ran across Gary's note on the beholder WM in the D series: "Beholders are generally friendly with the Illithids and will aid them." (D1 page 6).

Allan.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:09 am  
    Beholders in GH

iquander wrote:
    There are (sigh) invisible beholders protecting the library of the Guild of Wizardry in Greyhawk city.

--Erik

Yes … Yes, there are invisible beholders in the GoW! LOL
    I mean, I guess they're there to prevent players from just going hog-wild and trying to loot the place! Razz

I sure do with even one of those had been named, like the porters are, and such! I'd love to know all about the Beholder Squad in the GoW! Happy
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:08 am  

Also, just to add to the list:

H'Carth Mad Beholder of Greyhawk.

● Grubb, Jeff. Legends and More, Legend of the Spelljammer. TSR 1991. p7
    ● -----. Ships and Captains, ibid. p82 - 86
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:33 am  
    Re: Beholders in GH

Icarus wrote:
    iquander wrote:

--Erik

Yes … Yes, there are invisible beholders in the GoW! LOL
    I mean, I guess they're there to prevent players from just going hog-wild and trying to loot the place! Razz

I sure do with even one of those had been named, like the porters are, and such! I'd love to know all about the Beholder Squad in the GoW! Happy

I will have to do a write-up on ehese guys

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:01 pm  

NPC - Izel, Ixtli, Ohtli, and Meztli - Great Libray of Greyhawk

Brought back from the Tamoachan Expedition these Beholders are ancient beings frozen in time and reanimated through the auspices of the Grey College.

Their language is ancient Olman but they have learned much of the Common Tongue and spend a great deal of their time reading.

Perhaps their most remarkable attribute is that they are naturally invisibile.

Ixtli, Ohtli and Meztli are triplets while Izel is much, much older and tends to boss the other three around. It is Izel who is the most dangerous and close to breaking the enchantments that bind them to the servitude of the Chief Librarian and the Grey College
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: