JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Undersea Fortress of Drawmij
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Undersea Fortress of Drawmij
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 am  
    The Undersea Fortress of Drawmij

Has anyone detailed the undersea fortress of Drawmij?

So, what do we know?

"Drawmij is reputed to live in a cavernous underwater fortress beneath the Azure Sea, 150 miles south of Gradsul in Keoland, where he deals with merfolk, whales, dolphins, and many other denizens of the ocean. This fastness was once the dwelling of the druid Sverdras Meno."

"Drawmij possesses a magical metal boat he can pilot underwater."

"Drawmij also spends time with the Hierophant Sverdras Meno, a druid of the Old Faith ( "Old Faith services take place at megalithic stone circles or woodland groves." ) who oversees the Azure Sea."

"For the last decade or so, Drawmij has focused on the theories of chronomancy, magic involving the manipulation of time. He has grown increasingly eccentric of late."

OJ #3: "Gradsul: The branch of the National Academy of Wizardry in Gradsul is unusually weak, given the large size of thisKeoish port city, as is the local enclave of the Silent Ones. The group calling themselves "The Sea Mages", however, are the truly fashionable guild of this city, and by far, they are the most active. Aside from the common functions of this guild, they also work to keep the Scarlet Brotherhood and their Sea Prince conspirators in check and have so far met with some good successes. Their members work closely with the royal navies and mercantile companies to ensure Gradsul's security and free access to trade across the Azure Sea. Many have pledged themselves to act as a bulwark to the southern menace, so all hope may not be lost."
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 pm  

OMG!! Seriously? Drawmij is into Chronomancy? I had NO idea! That gives me SO many ideas!

This also brims to mind what the Sea Mages know or do. I hadn't heard of them, but, I like the idea... Also, the Demon Claw is right off their coast and in their realm of influence. Aeolius .... Tis one makes me want to do undersea stuff. ... Hmmm. This is going to be ainteresting thread.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 pm  

Icarus wrote:
    Also, the Demon Claw is right off their coast and in their realm of influence.

For what it's worth, the Demonclaw from Dungeon #84 is off the coast of Nyrond, not Keoland (unless you move it in your campaign).

Gary Holian has some suitably enigmatic thoughts about Drawmij's chronomantic investigations, if you catch up with him in chat. I won't speak for him here.

I always thought I11, Needle, would work best beginning in Gradsul.

I use Drawmij as the in-character author of Oerth's equivalent of the 1st edition Deities & Demigods tome, the Codex of Alien Gods (since in real life, Jim Ward co-wrote both the first and second edition versions). If I ever need to cite that book in an article or something from an in-character perspective, that's who it's by.

Drawmij's Codex of Alien Gods:
    Idiosyncratic and bizarre, the archmage Drawmij completed two editions of this obscure work with the help of books he claimed to have found in libraries beneath the ruined castles of Greyhawk and Maure. Drawmij's Codex postulates many different, parallel worlds, each with their own pantheons of gods sharing the same Outer Planes. Most of those familiar with the work consider the notion both dizzying and sacriligious.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:37 pm  

There are a few tidbits in Dungeon #77 "To Walk Beneath the Waves"

1) One could assume that Drawmij's "metal boat" (submarine) shares some of the features of Drawmij's undersea apparatus (65). Perhaps the apparatus is an early prototype or a personalized, miniature version.

2) An ancient locothah civilization once occupied the waters off the Keoish coast (69, 78) and worshiped a now-forgotten deity (76). Drawmij might know more and/or have dealings with survivors who fled to deeper waters.

3) Drawmij is very likely the "associate" for whom Nelzim is trying to retrieve the brass-bound sea chest (64).

Icarus wrote:

Are you talking about the Demonclaw in Relmor Bay (Dungeon #84)?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:31 pm  

Icarus wrote:
    OMG!! Seriously? Drawmij is into Chronomancy? I had NO idea! That gives me SO many ideas!
    Didn't Jim Ward write the Chronomancy book, too?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:59 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Didn't Jim Ward write the Chronomancy book, too?

Not that I can see...

credits
    Design: Loren Coleman
    Developmentand Editing:MattForbeck AdditionalAssistance:Jim Butler,AndriaHayday,
    Bruce Heard, Steve Miller, Roger Moore,
    JonPickens, Skip Williams, and David Wise
    Graphic Design: Stephen Daniele and Paul Hanchette
    Cover Art: Alan Pollack
    Interior Art: Thomas Baxa, Adrian Bourne, Terry Dykstra, JimHolloway,Mark Nelson Typography: Angelika Lokotz
    Production: Paul Hanchette
    Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:46 am  

Icarus wrote:

rasgon wrote:
    For what it's worth, the Demonclaw from Dungeon #84 is off the coast of Nyrond, not Keoland (unless you move it in your campaign).

Vestcoat wrote:
    Are you talking about the Demonclaw in Relmor Bay (Dungeon #84)?

Heh ... um, yeah. Well ... How on Oerth did I get Wragby confused with Gradsul? I'm just gonna claim senility.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 pm  

I'm sure everyone's thought of references to "20000 Leagues Under the Sea", but I was just looking for art on the web and found some really great stuff for inspiration. You might want to check that out.

Every time I think about when Drawmij is mentioned, I imagine a cave complex similar to the 'bat cave' perched on the cliff face of a great undersea trench, great domed glassteeled observation decks, sitting areas or a study, similar to the eye on the ship in 20000 Leagues, with fish darting overhead. And his submersible boat is shaped like a great squid made out of metal that he can drive right into one of the air-pocket caves lit by bioluminescent worms. Maybe his workroom is a hodge-podge of all sorts of things, all tucked here and there around a giant illuminated clockwork timepiece/aquarium. I'd also imagine his lair is heavily fortified with clever, time-based traps and puzzles and rooms that flood on purpose.
    Wink

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:08 am  

Thanks illustr8or, could so picture that description in my mind's eye!

I love the concept of the squid-shaped submarine ... Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 pm  

illustr8or wrote:
    I'm sure everyone's thought of references to "20000 Leagues Under the Sea", but I was just looking for art on the web and found some really great stuff for inspiration. You might want to check that out

Painful memories... painful... After the Shutdown

I am reminded of a passage from Manual of the Planes (3e): “The true nature of the Avenger, a unique figure on the Elemental Plane of Water, is unrevealed. Considered a myth by many, the Avenger appears as a great, dark gray manta ray measuring about 90 feet from the nose to the base of the tail and 180 feet from wingtip to wingtip. Its tail, which extends a further 90 feet, discharges lightning bolts (as an 18th-level sorcerer), apparently at will. The Avenger appears to be a construct or a vehicle as opposed to a living beast, because it propels itself through the water with a battery of water-screws.”
    GreySage

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:40 pm  

Aeolius wrote:
    I am reminded of a passage from Manual of the Planes (3e): “The true nature of the Avenger, a unique figure on the Elemental Plane of Water, is unrevealed. Considered a myth by many, the Avenger appears as a great, dark gray manta ray measuring about 90 feet from the nose to the base of the tail and 180 feet from wingtip to wingtip. Its tail, which extends a further 90 feet, discharges lightning bolts (as an 18th-level sorcerer), apparently at will. The Avenger appears to be a construct or a vehicle as opposed to a living beast, because it propels itself through the water with a battery of water-screws.”

According to The Inner Planes (2e), which is where the artifact first appeared, the Avenger was possibly created by Baron Lum.

"It was supposedly built by a great artificer, possibly a mysterious individual known as Lum the Mad."

It's just a rumor, though, so it might well have been created by anyone. I'm tempted to blame Kwalish instead.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:21 pm  

Okay... brainstorming...

Mix a bit of undersea sculpture, such as the art of Jason deCaires Taylor, with undersea memorials like those offered by Eternal Reefs and The Neptune Society . Add a helping of Cleopatra's Sunken Palace and the Yonaguni Underwater Pyramid .

I do not thing a druid would create a fortress to conquer the depths. A druid would build a fortress to blend with the surrounding seascape. Vast gardens of both stony and soft corals, sculptures of undersea fauna, and mazes of live rock would compliment fields of flowing kelp and blankets of sargassum, shielding the fortress form the prying eyes of those above.

Last edited by Aeolius on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:37 am  

Icarus wrote:

Yes he is. I think it was introduced in the 3E GH era by Mona/Holian et al. It was definately mentioned in the free LGJ#0 article on the circle of Eight.

As for his undersea fortress, remember that it was originally the druid's. So while Drawmij may very well have altered it, the original lair has been created/found by the hierpohant druid who oversees the vast Azure Sea.

And lastly has anyone figured out what the pun in the name Sverdras Meno is? It has got to be an anagram of something/someone...
    GreySage

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:03 pm  

Quote:
    And lastly has anyone figured out what the pun in the name Sverdras Meno is? It has got to be an anagram of something/someone...

Manors served
    Mares vendors
    Manse drovers
    Nomads server
    Random serves
    Man overdress
    Madness rover
    Reverse norms
    Sand removers
    Morass vender
    Sad verse morn
    Am dross never
    Ransom served
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:54 am  

Escuse me for the OT, but what are the whereabouts of the Circle of the Eight members in 596CY?

- Mordenkainen in the Obsidian Citadel (I presume) close to Perrenland
    - Tenser in his citadel on the Nyr Dyv
    - Drwamij in its underwater fortress
    - Bigby in Veluna/Mitrik or Great Kigndom
    - Nystul in Tehn or some flan nation in the northeast
    - Rary in the Bright Desert
    - Otto in Greyhawk
    - Otiluke (dead?)
    +
    Warnes Starcoat ?
    Alahamazar the Wise ?
    Jallarzi in Greyhawk ?
    +
    - Robilar in the Bright Desert
    - Riggby ? (going to die next year)
    - Yrag ?
    - Serten ?
    - Otis ?
    - Bucknard ?
    - Leomund ? other planes?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:11 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Quote:

Manors served
    Mares vendors
    Manse drovers
    Nomads server
    Random serves
    Man overdress
    Madness rover
    Reverse norms
    Sand removers
    Morass vender
    Sad verse morn
    Am dross never
    Ransom served

Given the undersea locale, "Meno" would seem an obvious play on "Nemo". "Sverdras", that's clearly more problematic, but could be a loose play on the word "reversed".

Also when googling, I see a few references to a "Sir Darva". "Ser" is a variance on "Sir", so that works, but this is pure conjecture on my part. Anyone familiar with a Sir/Ser Darva from another setting or fantasy universe?
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible. - Bertrand Russell
    GreySage

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 am  

MToscan wrote:
    Escuse me for the OT, but what are the whereabouts of the Circle of the Eight members in 596CY?

Living Greyhawk might have had more to say on this subject, but the following is what I think I know.

Quote:
    - Mordenkainen in the Obsidian Citadel (I presume) close to Perrenland

Yes.

Quote:
    - Tenser in his citadel on the Nyr Dyv

As of Age of Worms, yes.

Quote:
    - Drawmij in its underwater fortress

Yes.

Quote:
    - Bigby in Veluna/Mitrik or Great Kigndom

He should be in Mitrik, with occasional trips to Irongate. He probably won't be back to the Great Kingdom as long as Xaene remains a potential threat (which isn't clear).

Quote:
    - Nystul in Tehn or some flan nation in the northeast

Probably in Redspan or in the Phostwood.

Quote:
    - Rary in the Bright Desert

Yes.

Quote:
    - Otto in Greyhawk

Yes. He has a mansion in the Garden Quarter.

Quote:
    - Otiluke (dead?)

Yes.

Quote:
    Warnes Starcoat ?

In Duke Karll's court in Leukish.

Quote:
    Alahamazar the Wise ?

He lives in the city of Zeif.

Quote:
    Jallarzi in Greyhawk ?

She has a tower in Greyhawk's Garden Quarter.

Quote:
    - Robilar in the Bright Desert

Yes, although he secretly owns the Green Dragon Inn in Greyhawk City, and visits it in disguise.

Quote:
    - Riggby ? (going to die next year)

In Verbobonc.

Quote:
    Yrag ?

He rules Fordkeep west of Greyhawk.

Quote:
    - Serten ?

He died at the Battle of Emridy Meadows.

Quote:
    - Otis ?

He died in 579 CY while exploring the Temple of Elemental Evil with Y'dey, according to Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Quote:
    - Bucknard ?

He was killed by his undead sister Maralee in 580 CY, according to Dungeon #134.

Quote:
    - Leomund ? other planes?

According to Len Lakofka in Oerth Journal #10 he's somewhere in the Lendore Isles, but was planning to tour through the various states of the former Iron League exposing agents of the Scarlet Brotherhood in the next few years. That's probably where he is circa 596 CY, in absence of anything else to the contrary.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:59 am  

And here is the inspiration for the fortress, the shell of the pencil urchin:

GreySage

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:56 pm  

Jeminnab wrote:
    Also when googling, I see a few references to a "Sir Darva". "Ser" is a variance on "Sir", so that works, but this is pure conjecture on my part. Anyone familiar with a Sir/Ser Darva from another setting or fantasy universe?

Possibly a reference to Ser Davos Seaworth?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:33 am  

illustr8or wrote:
    And his submersible boat is shaped like a great squid made out of metal that he can drive right into one of the air-pocket caves lit by bioluminescent worms.

There are a number of ships in the Spelljammer campaign setting that look like squids or octopuses.

There is one called a Squid Ship, but that has an open top deck (which would need to be covered in a dome).

I would personally recommend the Octopus, as it has the body at the front and the tentacles at the rear. Here is a picture:

Another ship that looks like a squid is the Cuttle Command.
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:13 am  

In my last game, the night hag Xaetra had converted a sunken tower into a beacon known as the Nighthouse. The cap of the undersea lighthouse resembled an octopus with its tentacles wrapping around the body of the tower.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: