JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Harry Harrison's Porcuswines in Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Harry Harrison's Porcuswines in Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 pm  
    Harry Harrison's Porcuswines in Greyhawk

Who says monsters have to be tricked out character killers to be memorable? Certainly not Gary Gygax, and I find that I agree with him more and more as I mature (or age, as the case may be). Sometimes, it is just the totally unexpected that players remember forever (ask me about my Blue Llama sometime, maybe I'll tell you the story).

I have always enjoyed the Stainless Steel Rat series of novels by Harry Harrison. One of his creatures in particular, I also felt was well-suited for a Greyhawk (aka Pathfinder) campaign: the porcuswine. Going through my old stuff, I found where I had converted it long ago, and now I give you the Greyhawk/Pathfinder RPG porcuswine.

Enjoy!

MA

Porcuswine CR 5
    XP 1,600
    N Large Animal
    Init +4; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +12

Defense
    AC 15, touch 9, flat-footed 15 (+6 natural, -1 size)
    hp 42 (5d8+20)
    Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2
    Defensive Abilities ferocity, quills

Offense
    Speed 40 ft.
    Melee gore +8 melee (2d6+9)

Statistics
    Str 23, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8
    Base Atk +3; CMB +10; CMD 20
    Feats Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Perception), Toughness
    Skills Perception +12

Ecology
    Environment temperate forests
    Organization solitary, pair, or herd (3-8)
    Treasure none

Ferocity (Ex): The porcuswine remains conscious and continues fighting even if its hit point toal is below 0. The creature is staggered and loses 1 hit point each round. The porcuswine stills dies when its hit point total reaches -17.

Quills (Ex): The porcuswine's body is covered in hundreds of barbed quills. Although these quills lay flat against the back and sides of the creature, when startled, angry, or frightened, the quills spring outwards, making it very difficult to injure a porcuswine in melee without suffering significant damage. Any non-reach melee attack against a porcuswine embeds 1d4 quills in the attack, each of which inflict 1 point of damage. The quills are barbed and remain embedded in the attackers flesh, where they cause great pain and discomfort (-1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, and saving throws). Removing a quill requires a standard action and inflicts 2 points of damage to the attacker. Although the quills are not vemonous, they are often laden with disease causing bacteria, and infected wounds are a common occurance (DC 13 Fort save to negate; DM picks disease).

Porcuswines in Greyhawk

A close relative of the Dire Boar, the Porcuswine is a slightly less hostile and aggressive creature. Dwelling predominately in temperate forest environs, the porcuswine has evolved an ingenious method of repelling predators--thick strands of hair that have stiffened into barbed quills and cover the creature's pelt over the back and sides. These quills are approximately 18" in length and contain several wicked barbs, that make very difficult to extract, and extremely painful. Many attacks on porcuswines end with the predator running away while whining and pawing at the quills embedded in their flesh. Some very hardy settlers have reportedly domesticated porcuswine, reporting that the meat is actually quite tender and tasty, especially for suckling porcuswine. Most common peoples give them a wide berth, however.

Found throughout the former Great Kingdom in the eastern part of the Flaness, the porcuswine first appeared less than two centuries ago. Originally thought a mutation of the normal dire boar, later research indicated that a powerful wizard brought a breeding pair of these animals back from an alternate prime material plane. He released them into the Aedie Forest, and since then they have been fruitful and multiplied. Now, the animals have expanded their range to most of the Flaness east of the Sheldomar Valley and south of the Griff/Rakers ranges.

Last edited by masterarminas on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 pm  

Not a bad write-up. I too, love the Stainless Steel Rat series, though I don't remember the porcuswine. Confused Must not have read them all.

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: