JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - alcohol at your games
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    alcohol at your games
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:40 am  
    alcohol at your games

In China at the end of a 5 man session there was usually 9-18 longnecks of lao-shan and 2-3 bottles of Fenjo or Baijo.

In Australia two or three bottles of either Stones, Bundy, or Johnny

Here in Indo, it tends to be somthing like 20-30 small bottles of Tiger, or Bintang, or 1 bottle Arak.

As DM I have one or two but keep my head clear.

I love it when the Kick in the door players get wasted, concentrated Gung-ho ans stupid go hand in hand for great fun. Its always fun.
    The thinkers get dumb too. Getting over critical of a simple +10 Disable Device roll and have them spend 1/2 an hour getting more and more elaborate ways of disarming it until, with too much dicking around at the edge of the trap, one of the inevitably fails a balance check and falls into the pit.

it dosent get too racousy, but adds a nice hum to the game.
    Durries are fine too.

but I ban smoking weed, it slows down the game horribly, cuts character interaction, and roll play.

Whats your opinion of grog, baccy or weed at a game?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:47 am  

i think it depends.
    i mean, i dont drink, so i wouldnt like to DM to a bunch of drunk players.

if everyone drinks, than it would be better, i think
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 am  

I categorically refuse to play with anyone who is or has been using drugs or alcohol.
    GreySage

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:44 pm  

I'm with Bubbagump. I don't see any such substance intake can help enhance the game. Confused

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:36 pm  

Mystic-Scholar and bubbagump, we tried some tea and crumpets "no grog" sessions on a couple of off pay weeks, it was all very plain and serious gaming, very serious, I found you get more rule arguments and party conflict when sober.
    It gets tedious, no one backs down and runs with the flow of the game or plays a "sounds like fun", and you dont get "lets make the back up plan the main plan" in game conversations, which happen more often when a bit pissed,

We usually run the PC's slightly drunk too, in lieu of the fact that in medievel times they added alcohol to everything because the drinking water could be contaminated, our clerics have a Home brew additonal spell, "create wine" for such situations too.

Celebrating the destruction of monsters/beasties in game as we do out of game.

I couldn't imaging a prolonged teetotaler game being the much bit fun, a one off adventure maybe, but a campain? Ill hold the vote with that one, untill I find a group that wants to do it.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:09 pm  

I really worry about anyone who can't have fun without chemical aid...
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 am  

I used to typically drink about ten to twelve bottles of beer every game. Of course, over eight hours that never produces anything more severe than warmth to my face. It focuses me a bit.

We also have intentionally played "Drinking & Dragons" where the point was to run through a tournament module with us all hammered down drunk and see how that goes.

We always die.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:52 am  

bubbagump wrote:

I on the other hand really worry about cleanlivers who feel the need to preach or guilt trip at every oppertunity.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:04 am  

Clean-living? Yep, because much experience proves it works every time it's tried.
    Preaching? Nope, because there would be little point in it.
    Guilt-tripping? Nope. Can't be done unless the object is feeling guilty.
    Expressing a valid opinion that I have a complete right to express? Yep. 100%.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:00 pm  

Donkas wrote:
    I on the other hand really worry about cleanlivers who feel the need to preach or guilt trip at every oppertunity.

Hang on just a second.

You started the topic, and asked everyone else what their thoughts about it were.

You can't turn around and complain when others oblige you with their opinions and you don't happen to like what they say.
    CF Admin

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:28 pm  

I drink and DM. All my players except one drink while they play, and the one who doesn't, smokes weed and plays.

Has never been a problem over the last 19 years.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:42 pm  

bubbagump wrote:

Says the guy whose avatar is smoking a pipe...
    Razz
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:54 pm  

direrodent wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:

Razz

Please note that the avatar is not the guy, nor did the guy draw the picture.
    GreySage

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:05 pm  

bubbagump wrote:

Touche'! Happy

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:53 pm  

I think it depends on the people playing, and also on the type of game. If booze turns you into an obnoxious **** who wants to argue at every turn, then, no. But I can see having a few drinks as being beneficial for those who might have trouble relaxing or getting into character.

Also, I wouldn't recommend doing so if you want your character to survive the Tomb of Horrors. But if your PC dies because of your drunken decisions & you can laugh about it, then I see no harm.

Personally, I haven't drank & RP'd for years, mainly because the locales I usually play in are either alcohol-free (such as in the workplace), or the liquor stores are closed (such as on a Sunday in IN). That said, one of the best role-playing experiences I've had took place some 20 years ago while quite lit. There wasn't much dice-rolling involved, but we had some very involved in-character conversations. That said, I don't remember much of what we talked about, but it was also 1990! Regardless, I had a great game that night.
    GreySage

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:02 am  

Robbastard wrote:
    Regardless, I had a great game that night.

And that is what it's all about! Glad you have such fond memories Rob! Many more happy gaming experiences to come! Happy

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:44 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    direrodent wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:

Razz

Okay I'm to blame!

Actually I've never smoked in my life and that irritates me more than drinking at the table. The stuff just gets my eyes red. As to alcohol it rarely happens anyways. Most of the time we're driving an hour out of our way and its too risky to drive home liquored up or in my case, I go to work shortly after gaming.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 pm  

I'm on the clean living side. The friends I pick are as well. This of coarse means that not-so-clean living at a game is not an issue. If I got invited to play/DM a group of people I didn't know well and who preferred to game with various chemicals, I'd pass and go home.

Pretty much that simple. all boils down to who you want for friends. Guess I'l be playing with Bubba Gump and Mystic Scholar.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:29 am  

I'm also one of the 'cleanlivers'. Was that an intentional pun, Donkas? If so, nice! Happy

I've never abused substances of any kind (well, perhaps I drink too much soda... Confused ) and have no patience with people who are so inhibited. As a result, I intentionally avoid face-to-face interaction with such people at every opportunity and wouldn't be interested in role-playing with them. It would be entirely too frustrating for me (and probably for them as well Wink ).

SirXaris
    GreySage

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:02 pm  

Hello All,

I'm not sure what the 'statute of limitations' is on posting replies, and I am out of my regular patrol route down here on 'The Backalley,' so please forgive the late addition to this thread.

I don't mind drinking so long as it doesn't get out of hand. I personally enjoy sharing some beer or wine with my friend who games, and both of us are well above the legal limit, so that's not the issue. But I can well understand your collective concerns. If drinking causes players and DMs to become a$$e$, then that's the line for me.

The only time I really got steamed with my friend was many years ago when we were having some wine during a game and he completely freaked out when I killed the NPC brother of one of his main characters. You'd have thought I killed his main dude. I was really peeved and called him out on it, both at that time and later on after he was thinking clearly.

Alcohol also dulls the senses and thought processes, not just judgment. I know that if I have more than my fair share that my mental clarity is not as keen as it ought to be, and I feel cognitively sluggish. Recently, I could tell my DM had more than I believed was needed, and it completely showed in his DMing skills. He lost track of actions between and among characters, repeated himself many times, and made actions that I thought were ludicrous. I didn't know how to address it w/out making a federal case of the issue other than to gently question certain calls without being belligerent. However, it was, to me, a poor session and really diminished his normally stellar performance as a Dungeon Master.

Sometimes, Olidammara needs to maintain moderation and practice restraint.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:46 pm  

Lanthorn,

No statue of limitations on the boards unless its a locked thread. I have drank at games before but a causal amount. More often then not most of the drinking would occur after the game so we could sit back relax and talk shop.

I rarely drink now but occasionally get a drink or two. I don't think drinking or doing drugs enhances a gaming experience. I can drink or not and it matters not to me unless I'm watching sports at a bar. Then a drink or two is fine. However I must admit when I was in my twenties there was more beer in my fridge then food but that was a long time ago.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:00 am  

Drinking at games.. Never encountered it. I don't think I'd like it very much if it went beyond a light buzz to the other players.

Personally, I don't drink. Nor do I engage in any form of substance abuse. When I was in high school I had a group of friends who started weed, and they would do sessions high, but I found two things very quickly... They were idiots when they were high and I didn't like being around them (particularly when they were driving) like that, and they constantly tried to pressure me into trying weed.

I also got to see a friend start on weed and follow the gateway along to worse substances, though not at a D&D table. Still, this background would make me very uncomfortable being at a table with people abusing substances.

I'm a 'cleanliver' I suppose, but to each their own. Smile

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am  

As one might guess I feel fairly similar to Crystaltears, I ran a game that had a drug-user in it years before I met her. He was the worst player in the game as far as role-playing, and paying attention to what was going on.

He was a nice guy, but he never really was able to wrap his head around the game. When he was high it just made it 100 times worse. As far as alcohol anything worse than a light buzz would get annoying I would think.

I agree with Lanthorn than if you want to run a streamlined game you generally need to be clear-minded. However it is all about having fun in the end, so whatever works for you group is best :)
    GreySage

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:55 pm  

I don't mind light drinking, but drugs are taboo as far as I am concerned.

Let's face it. Running a smooth, well-planned, detailed game with so many characters and events running concurrently takes 'computing power' from the noggin. If you screw with that organic computer, it'll malfunction, lag behind, misdirect files, or...CRASH.

For myself, I find that DMing is vastly more mentally taxing than being a PC, and if I want to be "on my game" (pun intended), I gotta keep my mind clear and focused.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:31 pm  

There is nothing wrong with avoiding substance abuse of any kind. Cleanlivers! Laughing I like that one. However its best to avoid such circumstances because most people I know who do have people in their game on the stuff, always complain about what a distraction it is.

If your all getting lifted than I guess it really does not matter. I prefer my drinks after the game session is over.

Later

Argon
    Paladin

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:33 am  
    Re: alcohol at your games

Donkas wrote:
    I love it when the Kick in the door players get wasted, concentrated Gung-ho ans stupid go hand in hand for great fun. Its always fun.
    The thinkers get dumb too. "***", one of the inevitably fails a balance check and falls into the pit.
    it dosent get too racousy, but adds a nice hum to the game.
    Durries are fine too.
    but I ban smoking weed, it slows down the game horribly, cuts character interaction, and roll play.
    Whats your opinion of grog, baccy or weed at a game?

I think the "opinons" are sidely Against this "mode" of entertainment. (and righty so)
    I have experienced many of the "character types" described in my "DMin career" and I have found the longevity of the game is not supported in the "hack n slash, kick the door mentality" games but in those campaigns rich in history, consitancy and mental challenge.
    With that said the game can't exist in the "fog of other entertainments" when it requires the wealth of good imagination, participation and comradery.
    And lastly, like Lanthorn, being relatively new to the site, I have been skulking about through new and old threads alike, and just felt a compulsion to throw two coppers at this for those that follow.
    GreySage

Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:49 pm  

At least you are in good company, Dark Lord Galen! Wink

-Lanthorn, Former Lurker and Skulker (no more!)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:09 pm  

Yeah DLG,

Lanthorn is a full time poster now.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:43 am  

You all can blame our illustrious Argon for that! Wink

-Lanthorn, Summoned of Argon
    GreySage

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:04 am  

Argon wrote:
    Lanthorn is a full time poster now.

Razz

Like the Zen Master said . . . we'll see. Confused

He might be . . . Faking! Surprised Shocked Evil Grin

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:10 pm  

MS,

I will not question Lanthorn on his trend of various posts. However, I am sure he will question us. I find his inquiries to be thought provoking. Besides he lurked long enough to come up with quite a few threads. I predict a new one from him by Tuesday. Shocked

Later

Argon Laughing
    GreySage

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:03 am  

Damn!

Argon has broken free of my Geas spell! Shocked

No I have to find a way to ensnare him again! Hmm. Confused

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:58 am  

(Deep within the bowels of Oerth...something begins to awaken...and stir...)

(Lanthorn, growing restless once more, hears the Summons of the Barbarian)

Evil Grin
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 pm  

If it is just one or two beers, or a glass or two of wine--I don't have a problem with it. Heck, I've even sipped on a Waterford crystal tumbler filled with a most smokey, warm, and wonderful 24-year old Glenlivet (that's a very fine, very expensive single-malt Scotch whiskey for any of you heathens out there, lol)while gaming. But not more than one.

Too much alcohol sometimes brings out the worst in people. A little, yeah, no problem. But when someone crosses the line and becomes an obnoxious prick--it is a problem.

I'm a smoker, but if anyone at my group objects, I take it outside. Even in my home--simply because its courteous. Weed or other illegals, I don't allow in any game I run, and I don't come back if it is at someone else's game. The law is the law, and I can't condone breaking it.

Master Arminas
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:04 pm  

I have never had any issues with alcohol at our gaming table. Most of us have a couple of beers during a session or a bottle of red wine gets opened.

Most of us smoke, but not around the table. We take a break when the session allows it.

I dont allow drugs in my house period and if I do happen to find one of my friends that feels a need .... well then he gets a smack up side the head!
    GreySage

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:59 pm  

One thing is for sure...none of us seems to be a reveler/follower of Olidammara! Wink

-Lanthorn (primarily of the Summoner)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:07 pm  

(Disclaimer: I am part owner of a beer distributorship. The "never trust a skinny chef" rule applies to beer men, as well.)

Granted, I run my weekly game in a chat room, so dealing with players burning down my house whilst snookered is never an issue. That being said, I'll have a few beers, when running my game. But I'll have a few beers when I'm not running my game, also... darn it... now I want a beer. ;)

I recall one evening I was sampling absinthe while DMing. The party ran into a swarm of tiny fey and I role-playerd every single one of them. They players seemed less than amused, but I had a blast! :D

One advantage to DMing online is I do not have to deal with cigarette smoke. Even the smell of smoke on clothes is enough to make me nauseous at times. Mind you, I do not fault them for their vice - if someone tried to take away my first cup of coffee in the morning, I would most likely maim them.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:10 pm  

i was looking for the gaming lair thread and stumbled upon this beauty. There is alcohol at our table but only socially. Like Lanthorn said DMing is serious business and there is no room for a buzz. I made enough mistakes in this my first attempt at dming sober that i will not do it under the influence.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:59 pm  

When I was DMing it got to be tradition to bring my 1.75 liter bottle of sour apple schnapps to lean the initiative board against. When I'd hit a wall of descriptive text (which I'm known for writing) I'd move the board and take a shot to lubricate the old vocal cords.

Usually there's beer, cider and the host might mix up some cocktails for those interested, but I've never seen it affect play in my current group. But then we also only ever play 3 hour sessions. Even with other groups I was ever only in one game where someone had too much to drink, and man did she get hammered. Talking her out of the bathroom kind of put a stop to the game.
    CF Admin

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:00 pm  

Tolerance > Ignorance.

To each his own.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 pm  

Just noticed this thread. It's a topic I have some experience with...

First, a disclaimer: I am an alcoholic/drug addict. Not bragging, but also, not ashamed of it. I am clean and sober and have been for 4 years and change. Before that, I was a stranger to no chemical mind-altering substance, and an abuser of most.

I have gamed with and without drinking - I'm a better DM sober, that's for sure. I generally kept my chemical use for after the game, as I was not much fun around people when I used. My players were NOT alcoholics, and one or three drinks did nothing to hinder the flow or quality of the game on their part. I had to keep cannabis users away, though, as they just brought the game to a screeching halt. One of them spent the whole night's gaming just buying a mandolin.

Smoking (tobacco) was almost a requirement at my games. The grey cloud got so bad sometimes that smoke alarms went off. I feel so sorry now for the poor non-smokers who endured us! Now, of course, nobody (but me) smokes, and I am relegated to the howling wilds when my monkey needs feeding...

I admire those folks who never walked down the chemical road, as well as those who can 'handle' their tipple. I also have great respect for those of my friends who honor my current wishes to keep my surroundings chemical-free. But more than anything, I respect those who are tolerant of others and their differences; challenges, defects and all.

And that's my 2 drabs!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 pm  

Congratulations on your 4+ years of sobriety. I've had and still have friends who are alcoholics. It's a tough row to hoe.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 pm  

Bugsy, in my mind, a hero is a mortal, frail and weak, who overcomes his own personal obstacles to become more than himself. Life is full of daily trials. We all have our demons that must be exorcised. I wish you continued strength to best yours.

best unto you and congratulations,

Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:49 pm  

wow..thanks to you both. At this point is just a fact like being right-handed. I make my meetings and life continues to get better every day.
    GreySage

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 am  

bugsy wrote:
    wow..thanks to you both. At this point is just a fact like being right-handed. I make my meetings and life continues to get better every day.

I'm glad to hear it, bugsy. I want you to know that you have my support. Smile

SirXaris
    GreySage

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 pm  

SirXaris wrote:

I want you to know that you have my support. Smile

"And my bow!"

"And my axe!"

Oooopppsss...sorry....LoTR Tourette's! Cool

In all seriousness, our best.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1