ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Halloween Costumes
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    Halloween Costumes
    GreySage

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:24 pm  
    Halloween Costumes

Greetings all,

I've always loved Halloween, and as a high school science teacher, enjoy scaring the energy levels out of my students. I decorated my room with hanging bones, a fog machine, strobe light, and eerie music whilst lurking in the corner bedecked as a gargoyle-like menace to terrorize those entering my domain...

Last night my wife and I took out our two young children for trick or treating. My son, only 4, dressed as the black and white Spider-Man, and is now 'getting' the whole Halloween gig. My young daughter, dressed as a pig-tailed Tinkerbell, is but 18 months and doesn't have a clue, but seemed to like going out. I have always loved Halloween and hope to pass on that tradition to my kids.

We entertained but a few youngsters at our domicile thereafter. I've always enjoyed seeing the costumes, but didn't see anything of the mythic variety this year, lamentably. No costume really stood out as exceptional.

Did anyone see anything of particular note this year? Anything of a DnD nature?

curious,

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:05 pm  

My youngest, at six years old, was Optimus Prime and my next, at nine years old, was Darth Vadar. However, the oldest two were more mythic.

My daughter, 11, was Annabeth from the Percy Jackson book series and my oldest, 17, was Flynn Rider from Tangled while his girlfriend accompanied him as Rapunzel. My wife and son designed and sewed his costume by watching the movie and copying it. He even wore a satchel with a tiara and carried a cast iron skillet. They looked great! Happy

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:14 pm  

I put on my squid hat and went as Dr Calamari.
    GreySage

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:56 pm  

A new year, new costumes...what did you all see this year that you liked? Did anyone go to a Halloween/costume party?

For my part, my wife and I took out our two young kids. My son was "The Lizard" from Spider-Man while my daugher was SuperGirl (that was my wife's doing as I am a TOTAL Marvel fan). Furthermore, I terrorized my high school students with bones dangling from my room, a strobe light, fog machine, and me dressed up as a batlike gargoyle. Great fun. Evil Grin

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:10 am  

You're the coolest teacher ever! We never get trick-or-treaters, which is kind of good because my dogs freak out when anyone comes to the door, even if they're in their crate, but then I love seeing the costumes. We had a life-sized Candyland event at the library and there was a good turnout for that, although I only saw the kids who were already dressed up earlier in the day. One little girl was dressed as Alice and she was perfect for it, and her mom did a great job on the costume, although we found out later that her mom was kind of exasperated because she couldn't get her daughter to take it off for anything. She wore it all week! One acquaintance of mine has started a cool tradition with his kids. They have to leave part of their candy for the Great Pumpkin, but then when they get up in the morning the Great Pumpkin has left them presents in exchange. I thought that was pretty cool.
    GreySage

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:06 pm  

Smillan, thank you very much! I try to have a great sense of humor and it really comes in handy working with teens, who enjoy a good burn, a quick pun, a twisted sense of humor, and honesty. Tormenting them each day only gets me through 5 periods of teaching, and is icing on the proverbial cake. Evil Grin My Halloween decorations have become expected by the older students, and I don't want to disappoint, so even though this year I almost decided NOT to do it, I recanted. With great student help, I pulled it off and terrorized another crop of students... Laughing

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 pm  

Halloween was canceled due to the storm. Seems your grooming your son to be a wall crawler. Though when my son was younger he was often aninja or a power ranger. My daughter often went the zombie or vampire route, she also went as a dark fairy.

Lanthorn, enjoy your kids while their young and keep doing what you do. My daughter is 20 years old and my son is now 18.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm  

Will do, my Big Daddy Barbarian! Happy Thanks for the words of wisdom to a neophyte father.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:06 pm  

No problem Lanthorn! Glad to be of service.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:14 pm  

Wishing everyone a Happy Halloween, and hoping it was a fun one.

As is tradition, I decorated my room today with a hanging bones, had a strobe light going, a fog machine blasting fumes, and eerie music playing in the background. I lurked in the shadows in a scary gargoyle getup, terrorizing a few students who entered my room.

Aaaahhhh, the joys of teaching high school... Evil Grin

On a lighter note, my son (6) was the incredible hulk, and my daughter (3.5 yrs) was a T. rex (yes, that's what she picked!). Happy They got quite a haul.

Until next year,

Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:54 pm  

My older daughter went as a dark bride/zombie and the younger was a peacock. Their mother did their costumes. Very well done.

My elder daughter has requested to begin playing D&D. Seems her father and his friends have peaked her interest. Some of the kids movies coming out lately didn't hurt either.

Lanthorn - I am glad you teach in the way you describe. My favorite teachers from high school were the ones that got involved with the students. They were the ones that could get me to put more effort into my work. You have a very difficult job in todays society. Bless you for doing it with energy and style.
    GreySage

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:07 am  

Mheaton, you are very gracious with your comments. It is true that I try to infuse some comic relief and humor into all my classes. I like to have fun, although I treat education and my science curriculum with utmost seriousness and dedication.

On the lighter side, I have done the various zany antics to keep the attention of my students: 1) did a very convincing impression of a pissed-off chimpanzee, complete with leaping, vocalizations, and the thrashing of branches; 2) a Jurassic Park impression of a Velociraptor (with cut out cardboard tail and claws rubber banded to my shoes) leaping and squawking in the classroom and onto tables; 3) gave birth to myself in anatomy class with a garbage bag as the amniotic sac, a rope as my umbilical cord, a carpet as the placenta, and spewed bottled water onto the front row of kids when 'my water broke'....to name but a few of the more bizarre skits. Laughing

keeping science weird,

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:05 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Mheaton, you are very gracious with your comments. It is true that I try to infuse some comic relief and humor into all my classes. I like to have fun, although I treat education and my science curriculum with utmost seriousness and dedication.

On the lighter side, I have done the various zany antics to keep the attention of my students: 1) did a very convincing impression of a pissed-off chimpanzee, complete with leaping, vocalizations, and the thrashing of branches; 2) a Jurassic Park impression of a Velociraptor (with cut out cardboard tail and claws rubber banded to my shoes) leaping and squawking in the classroom and onto tables; 3) gave birth to myself in anatomy class with a garbage bag as the amniotic sac, a rope as my umbilical cord, a carpet as the placenta, and spewed bottled water onto the front row of kids when 'my water broke'....to name but a few of the more bizarre skits. Laughing

keeping science weird,

-Lanthorn

Hey

Now I know why your into science. Are you still trying to create a Lisa for yourself?

Wink

Later

Argon
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:10 pm  

If he ever does, it might be the end of his posting (and the end of him if the wife finds out).

Just don't turn any of us into "Chet"
    GreySage

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:53 am  

mheaton118 wrote:
    If he ever does, it might be the end of his posting (and the end of him if the wife finds out).

My wife might be thankful for some 'relief.' Laughing

Quote:

Nice "Weird Science" reference! Now I just gotta find me Kelly LeBrock (as she appeared in the 80's)! Cool
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 pm  

mheaton118 wrote:

"How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:51 am  

Sorry this pic is so late, but a few of you might get a chuckle out of it, even if it isn't D&D related. I helped out a friend of mine who's staff cut out, so I hung out for a few hours....

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:46 pm  

Oh my God! That is one of the most awesome costumes ever!
    GreySage

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 pm  

Yes, very cool, Uptognomegood! Happy

SirXaris

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:24 am  

I keep wanting to go as Santa Claus for Halloween or a really out of shape Easter bunny wearing a "wife beater" and a five O'clock shadow. The costume was sewn by my mother (God rest her soul!) from her own prowess and no pattern. If I manage to bring a smile to my fellow man, then my life has not been in vain. Thank you for the compliments.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: